1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Thread Necromancy vs. Repetitive Threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Grim Fandango, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

After seeing the actions taken in this thread, I'm left absolutely boggled about something.

Nevermind the fact that the thread is only two months old, which apparently is an ancient and bygone era somehow, but what exactly are posters expected to do when both are considered crimes against humanity?

Reply to a relevant thread that's not all that old, and you get accused of "thread necromancy" even though that entire concept only came about in reference to discussions involving outdated information. Which I'm pretty sure less than two months doesn't count.

Start a new post on a topic that's discussed regularly, and you get yelled at for doing so, and told to go read and respond to any one of the other threads.

But if you go and do that, you get accused of "thread necromancy" and told to STFU and go start a new thread.

But doing so gets you yelled at for wasting everyone's time by starting a new thread on something that's been addressed numerous times.

etc.

So which one is supposed to be the correct thing to do? I'm rather confused by the whole thing.
    Neurotic Cucpake likes this.
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I can only tell you what the sites I have seen say on it.

Look to see if there are other threads on the same subject right there on the front page, before creating a new thread.
    If there is already a topic there, then just look at the date before responding. ( for example, the thread could be towards the bottom of the front page, but the date and last reply could still be months old.....it hardly ever happens that way, but looking at the date solves it ).

The reason other sites have given is that if you are responding to someone who posted a month or more ago, its going to cause a little confusion on their part and its also going to probably cause other people to respond to other posts in the thread, thinking the topic is new...so its just the idea of confusion all around.
    If you follow those 2 guidelines above, it generally works out ok as far as moderating goes.

Edit - side note for myself....I had trouble finding the "forum rules", in fact I hadn't been able to locate them until today ( partly my fault, I didn't ask ;) )...but 1 reason I had trouble was because I didn't associate them with the thread title "Terms of Service and Rules".
    So I just thought I would point that out in case other people also had trouble finding it.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I'm with you....kinda confused seeing it got closed :confused:

I personally always prefer necro'ing for 1 simple reason: Older thread may contain usefull information aswell :geek: History = here to learn from.

Ofcourse I'm not talking about trying to bring thread back to live after a year or so :rolleyes:...but within 3 months it should be do-able in my opinion.

Then again, if the information in the thread containt false info that has changed, then making a new thread would be the better option.

But have you asked Yakzan for more details about it? I'm sure he would explain it to you, and if not, mayby even re-open the thread if you can convince him :D
  4. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Personally, I'm not against "necromancy", in fact sometime I encourage people to use the existing threads. Of course we moderators are individuals, so it could happen that some of us don't like it.

I can only say this: I'll not close a thread because of the "necromancy" phenomenon (Unless I receive an order from Zap).
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

If necromancy vs. repetitiveness were political positions on a political spectrum, I'd say that these forums are center-necro to fairly necro.