1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Time Management: Gaming and "Grown Up Lives"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Deltre, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

As was very recently brought up in the increasingly stellar How to Be A Healthy Gamer thread started by my favorite twitch streamer, Blankspace(BOOM namedrop), the topic of efficient time management.

This has been a growing concern of mine, balancing school, exercise, and social activity along with gaming. I could devolve this into a lengthy explanation of my gaming life history, though I'd like to keep this clean and concise.

What suggestions or tips from you, the community, do you have for people similar to me to balance out our gaming lives with our RL lives effectively?

I appreciate your time and thank you in advance!!
  2. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I've been playing video games for about 40 years. I've played games through school, military, I have a family and a full time job. Contrary to what many may believe, I've always had time to relax and have fun.

The trick to time management is to not even worry about it. You will do what you need to do to get through each day. Some days you'll have little to no time to play, other days you'll have a lot of time to play.

There's no special tips or tricks or suggestions I can offer. Each of our lives is different. Just take care of the important things and have fun when you can. I think you'll be surprised when you realize you have more spare time than you think you will.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Strangly enough I feel (and really see it with people), that if people really plan a lot of their time inculding their free time they are usually way more stressed then someone who didn't plan but just ''goes with the flow''.

Planning could be nice! But please don't overexert.

I've been so busy myself the last past weeks....thank God I can still get on this site from my tablet but otherwise I wouldn't been online for quite some time now.
    Sometimes live gives you time, and sometimes it doesn't. Being able to accept it is the greatest part of managing things.

But that's just my 2 cents ;)
    Lsya likes this.
  4. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

That's exactly what I've experienced. :)

I went to a time management course years ago where we were all taught to pretty much live in our planners. We carried those things everywhere. It was like 90% planning and 10% doing stuff. One day I threw my planner away and never looked back. Things got much better after that.
  5. Fireblade

Fireblade New Cupcake

I'd say focus on your education (if you're still in school). The games will always be there when you want, but don't miss out on what school has to offer (socializing, partying, hanging together). When you have a job it's an entire different story. I don't know you how each and everyone of you thinks but me the job is just a mean to live my life. I don't live to work. While I do love my job and I get satisfaction from it, my spare time is the most important for me. Plus, you can always get new jobs. Of course it depends on where you live and what you do but generally speaking this is true.

In the end, you only have one life and it's YOU that decides what you want to do with it. For me its games, beer, Liverpool FC.
  6. Deltre

Yeah for some reason I was able to play a lot more video games while I was in the military, even though I was constantly working 10-12 hour days. After reflecting on it more I think it might just have to do with a sense of responsibility I have to be social whenever people are around, and with two roommates and a friend constantly around i think that might be a big distraction.
  7. Deltre

Hah yeah, I love my tablet for that. Heck, I'm on it right now....I think it's just a lack of planning. I normally just kinda putz around and I have a large amount of free time and whenever I get time to myself that's when I realize it's time to do work and not relax.
  8. Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar Cupcake

I typically play when my wife goes to bed. Problem solved! My kids go down at 7:30 and I'm on when she's asleep.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

So what if the wife goes at the same time? :whistling: (unless you are mayby 50+)

I mean......night+man+woman+bed = ????? (for me that wouldn't be WildStar)
    (+ you seem to be comming from ''pants'' :p)
  10. Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar Cupcake

Perhaps I should have written when she's "asleep". ;)