1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Too many super cereal guilds.

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Derkkull, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classix

Classix Cupcake

I've been in hardcore guilds that don't have an application process. Its was even more of an Elitist environment, anyone not up to snuff is cut. Doesn't really bring a sense of community into the guild and people are just plain <REDACTED>s to each other in vent. I think it was clear no one wanted to help each other and everyone was there for the gear. Was possibly my worst guild experience as the raid leader was a 36 year old man child. Pretty much after I fully geared myself I left. Maybe thats the environment you want, not the type for me.

That said I've had plenty of casual guilds with no application process's that have been great. But for me unless their is a bit of "professionalism" and an application process to weed out the meek. Then that guild isn't hardcore and doomed to eventually be torn apart by drama. Course this is my personal view point and I think I've been called an elitist prick from time to time. Take my words with a table spoon of salt.
  2. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
  3. Dave Bowman

Dave Bowman New Cupcake

[​IMG]

I could get into this balling thing. I mean, my pocket full grown, yo. Hell, I could be the daddy.

But even if I couldn't, the OP's totally right.

I'll be redacted if I'm going to fill out a FORM to hitch up to play a game with a bunch of other nerds. If you can't inspect my gear, talk to me for five minutes, look me in the eye, feel my soul and let me in then redact you. Can't do that, then you got to ask yourself if you're really leadership material. Cause I can lie on my app all night long.

On the flip side, no hard feelings if you boot me if I stink up the place. See how easy human beings are?
    Androssi and Malorak like this.
  4. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I don't really get the point of the rage. Don't like guild applications? Don't try to join those guilds. Wait until launch, and there will be a hundred leveling guilds spamming the chat channels. If you're looking for something a little more hardcore than that, show what you've got in PUGs and someone will eventually ask you to join up with them.

When my guild was still taking new members, it screened pretty <REDACTED> heavily, and frankly could have been even more selective sometimes. Like others, it wasn't about whether someone was a good player but about whether someone would fit in with the rest of the members. Letting in everyone and then booting those who don't work out might work for some guilds with a less personal feel, but for us bootings always followed incidents that had annoyed and inconvenienced other members, so the point was to minimize those kinds of problems.
  5. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, agreed.
  6. Raizar

Raizar New Cupcake

We don't have any of that application rubbish. I feel it's better to get to know the people joining than to ask their entire MMO history.

There's too many guild applications now and it's just not needed. There's no need for all this "selectivity".
  7. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

As a brief aside, I'm a little surprised this turned into a serious discussion.

But since it has, toss another name into the pile favoring strict standards and selectiveness. Quality before quantity, et cetera. Whether that quality is regarding a would-be raider's discipline and competence or a prospective socialite's amicability, these things matter. It's possible for a group to become -too- insular, but that's really up for the group itself to decide. Some people would rather have a tiny guild of close acquaintances that has to do PUGs rather than a teeming mass of warm bodies that offers no sense of camaraderie.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  8. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

What is this? Common Sense and Logic? She's a witch!!! Burn her!!!!
    ;)
    Nyxis likes this.
  9. moosh

moosh New Cupcake

There two sides on something like this, lets say a person doesnt want to take the time to fill in a application, long or short doesnt matter, usually takes less then 10 mins, have a friendly chat on TS and your sorted, if people cant even bother with that, who knows what else they cant be bothered with? If you join a guild that raids, you are expected to raid, sign up on the calendar, read up tactics, if you cant even take 5 or 10 mins to write a application, why would they spend hours on learning fights.. Some guilds are more serious and this is just to see what kind of people they can expect. I never had any problems with applications and for me they did more good then bad.

This aint an assault on anyone!
    I more then realise that there are alot of different people with different playstyles outthere!
    So best of wishes on finding what you are looking for.
    NILVIO and Albireo20 like this.
  10. Lemming

Lemming Cupcake

If I'm going to spend several hours a night with the same folks in pursuit of a common goal...yes, there's no chance by satan's short 'n' curlies I'm just going to take just anyone. There's going to be SOME sort of vetting process. Frankly, anyone without a filtering system, call it what you will, is going to be a guild full of issues.
  11. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

Two pages of replies... and no one addresses the last sentence of his post? Okay fine. I'll bite...
    You expected to join Subterfuge Vanguard; hosts of the weekly WildStar stream, Late Night Dominion... people behind The Eldan Games, that raised over three-thousand dollars for Child's Play... and moderators of the upcoming WildStar Townhall event... without having to put in an application?

Yeah, you're going to have to lower your expectations a little bit more before I take this thread seriously.
    Lemming likes this.
  12. Kethrym

Insert "some of the nicest guys around* and we're good here. ^^ Totally what he said.
  13. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

Uh... f*** that... Nyxis beat me with a ham shank... nice my a**.
  14. Kethrym

Yeah ok, after seeing the video of Beetle, Aegon, and Nyxis smacking people around (especially where Papa got stone cold hammered with ham) I will agree they aren't nice per say. I'd still buy em a beer though. :p
  15. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

Of course you can lie in a guild application, let's say you lie and tell them you got server first 90 in WoW.. this is easily disproved.
    Next, if you were actually server first 90 and they actually think you are a good fit, there is a trial period in which you are invited and critiqued based on how well you do. Though I assume you're trolling though, so bananas.
  16. Swedicus

Swedicus New Cupcake

But....
    I love cereal :(
    Malorak and Albireo20 like this.
  17. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

oh dear... started reading thread

[​IMG]

;)
    Joukehainen likes this.
  18. Dracor

Dracor New Cupcake

I find it really depends on how the application process is handled as well. Filling out the actual form itself is nothing, in fact that's really convenient rather than trying to explain what you can do, have done, gear level etc in a chat window, or on ts/mumble.

Personally however, I'm someone who doesn't like the actual interview process. I'm not good in a 1 on 1 conversation with people that I don't know, being critiqued on the spot. Now casually talk to me in game, or ask for a rather extensive application, that's cool. I can go into detail, gives me a little time to actually think about it too and put some effort into it. On the spot though? You're probably not going to get much out of me other than a few yes/no's as I'm actually listening, not really thinking about verbal essay I should be giving you.
  19. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

All I want in a guild is...The same as you.

What I want most is a relaxed guild atmosphere with a dedicated attitude nonetheless. I want to clear content and PvP well but still have fun.
  20. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

How I feel this thread will go:

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.