1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Torn between SS and Esper healer :-(

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by SilentJ, Apr 23, 2014.

1. SilentJ

SilentJ Cupcake

I know I just made a post saying I was making a SS healer, but the more I think about it the more I'm torn between SS and Esper healing. Medic doesn't really seem like my cup of tea, but the other two seem equally awesome. I wish I'd had more time with the game than I did because I'd be more confident in making a decision, but I have no idea what each healer excels at. As a benchmark, My favorite healers that I've raided with from previous games have been a Shaman in World of Warcraft, an Imperial Agent in The Old Republic, and a Chloromancer in Rift. Are either of these healers similar to any of those?
  2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I think that Espers and Spellslingers specialize in two different kinds of healing.

Spellslingers typically have long, but narrow telegraphs. At the same time most all of their abilities are fully mobile. Spellslingers also have the ability to provide an absorb shield that has a much shorter cooldown than the Esper version. Spellslingers also have an ability called Dual Fire that heals allies in it's telegraph while damaging foes. Plus you can run around screaming "Healing Bullets! Pew! Pew! Pew!"

Espers have a lot of targeted and heal-over-time abilities. Though a number of their abilities do root and the Esper, in general, is considered to be the least mobile of all the classes. Targeted heals could be very helpful in some crowded raids where it might actually be pretty hard to spot the tank amid all the people or hit someone who keeps scampering about running away from your heals.
  3. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

Have you pre-ordered? There is another beta weekend 25th-27th. I played a druid, shaman, and priest (WoW), WHM (FFXI), Sith Sorceror (Swtor), Mystic (PWI) and (imo) healing in Wildstar isn't particularly like any of them!

Plus, I just had to post something here because I seem to be stalking domi's posts. ESPER 4 LIFE!
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

So......

I ran around this weekend as DPS and Healing Esper on some adventures. I really enjoyed my practice time healing in wildstar this weekend.

I used Mind over Body as a single target heal builder almost always using the tank to build off of. I usually stayed fairly far back in the group to do so without problem. With the psi points I would use mending banner on the tank for a big heal.

When adds came or the tank started to lose aggro and others were getting hit I switched to soothe, usually letting it build up to it's full charge before firing it. Soothe is a long, narrow telegraph. Then double tapping bolster (single target heal over time builder with 2 charges) on the tank (2 more free psi points!). Bolster and Soothe are completely mobile. This left me with 4 quick psi points. If the tank was hurt I would use Mending Banner to help. If the rest of the group was also hurt? I used those psi points instead in Reverie (large AOE heal).

I also had mirage which places a small circle on the ground. When someone walks into it, it provides a super happy heal and gives me a psi point. It has a long cooldown, but lasts for 60 seconds and has 2 charges. I had fun placing them. If a big telegraph came in and someone was hurt? I could place the mirage in a safety zone that person was likely to leap into. I also liked placing them in kind of a semi circle around the boss so that tank could move into it and heal themselves if I was busy healing one of the DPSers.

I didn't actually take my phantasmal armor. I took crush for an interrupt armor breaker instead. Hindsight, I probably should have taken it, but this was only an adventure not a dungeon. I was able to heal the damage without needing it. In the future I'll take it and use it as emergency protection for a DPSer in trouble. Tanks are usually alert enough to watch for my mirage. DPSers, in my experience, mostly run away from me when I try to heal them. It's so annoying to try to chase a spellslinger with soothe!

I did rebind F1 to F4 keys to teammate targeting. That helped a lot. I always kept the tank in sight and when a DPS was hit? I could just tap their key and hit them with mending banner, using the psi points I built up from the tank. If the tank was hurting too, I could drop mirage next to them before turning attention to the DPSer. Make sure your tank knows that the floating fishies from mirage are good for them!

That being said, I sometimes worry for spellslinger healers in chasing DPSers for a heal because they have limited number of targeted heals. I don't know if I will be able to get my spellslinger up high enough to experiment before the game launches though. Tanks are pretty good about not running away from healing telegraphs, but the healer also needs to know where to put them. If the boss uses a big telegraph the healer shouldn't expect the tank to just stand there and take it. They should aim in the nearest safe area to the tank with a little over lap (incase the tank can't get completely out of the telegraph).

When I was on the adventure as a DPS esper? I made it a point to hug the healer. If I was really injured I made it a point to run towards the healer in as straight a line as possible.