1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Transmogs yay or nay?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Fayde, Aug 14, 2013.

?

Transmogs yay or nay?

1. yay

63.2%
  2. nay

36.8%
  1. Ryth

Ryth Cupcake

I agree with Anstalt. LOTRO's system is fantastic, and should be a paradigm for MMOs looking to implement a high level of avatar costume customizability. It might seem a bit too free-form to completely separate your equipment and your appearance, but on the other hand, this is already done with tons of games (like the Final Fantasies, where your characters have a characteristic design that doesn't change as you improve their armor). In my experience, it doesn't do anything to de-incentivize the pursuit of better gear, but it does give you a greater sense of ownership over your character.

Also, if W* goes the FtP route, for-sale cosmetic clothing items are a highly lucrative products that don't have any effect on game mechanics, so it's good from Carbine's perspective too.
  2. Bifurcation

Bifurcation Cupcake

Mine is a nay, but it is a very weak and tiny nay.
  3. Geeri

Geeri New Cupcake

I thought that the OP's question was more along the lines of "would you like to be able to somehow customize your character's look without changing stats?"

However they choose to implement it doesn't really matter; what matters are the implications, regardless of the system:
    • Should you be able to port PvE looks onto PvP gear or vice versa?
    • Should it be possible to port high-level looks onto lower level items?
    • Should you be able to use the looks from items you cannot wear?
    • Should it be a money sink?
    I am in favour of customizability. Use any look you can acquire on a character to overwrite the look of your actual gear (or, alternatively, completely separate "stats" and "looks" altogether!) The only reason not to allow a combination would be, in my mind, because it interferes with usual gameplay (e.g. if there's a way to "camouflage" your character using a weird PvE set, it should be impossible to use in PvP).
    Finally, it doesn't really matter to me how the system works, as long as there is a system in place. Even if it would be like transmogrification instead of a more elegant solution, I would still be happy with the possibility rather than unhappy about the inelegant solution.
  4. Guinn

Guinn New Cupcake

nay!
    lowby noob gear has to look awfull :)

if you wanna look coool, you have to deserve it!
  5. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

AH...... Rek never mentioned Rift in his post, he answered the questions you asked.
  6. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Whether they go for a WoW style transmog system, or a LOTRO wardrobe system, you will still have to earn the items you want to customize, and even items in the appearance tabs need to be equip-able (aka you need to meet the items level/class requirements).

So, you will still "deserve" it, systems like this only allow you to dress down or sideways, not up.
  7. Fayde

Fayde Cupcake

Transmog is similar to what your mentioning you take one peices stats and one peices appearance and combine them but you need to own both peices.But i like the idea of costume system instead of transmog but i don't like it if you can have say plate armour on cloth wearer i prefer how transmog is you need to be able to wear the thing your transmogging.

( might be somewhat wrong abot the specifics of transmog i did not play wow for long i got bored of it )
  8. Fayde

Fayde Cupcake

I also like transmog or costume systems because once your max level you can still have a goal to reach of finding the perfect look etc it adds 1 more element to endgame and also makes characters look unique.
  9. Fayde

Fayde Cupcake

However they choose to implement it doesn't really matter; what matters are the implications, regardless of the system:
    • Should you be able to port PvE looks onto PvP gear or vice versa? No pvp gear should not be able to use this feature for obvious reasons it helps to know what gear your enemy has in arenas etc without viewing them.
    • Should it be possible to port high-level looks onto lower level items? No you should need be able to equip the armour your trying to use and also you need to own it in your inventory warhouse bank etc.
    • Should you be able to use the looks from items you cannot wear?No definatly not you should be able to wear all the equipment and i also think you should have to own them ( just my opinion).
    • Should it be a money sink? ingame currency Yes! real money? Yes if the game ends up being f2p , if its p2p tho you should not need to pay money to use transmog/costume features.

10. Platelet

Platelet New Cupcake

I would say nay to costumes, to dyes I'm unperturbed. I don't really understand what the appeal is to having system like costumes/transmogs in MMOs these days. In my opinion the system doesn't make sense and I find it immersion breaking. Without the system theres still the option of keeping a town set, and the feature mentioned where you can keep sets you like on models in your house sounds quite fun.
  11. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I agree with your other points but this one. You don't have any right or reason to know what my gear and stats are. Fight me and figure it out.

This is why I am always against this, armories and inspect.
  12. Fayde

Fayde Cupcake

Well i can see your point but i think it would be simplier if they did what i suggested but who knows i'm no expert they might go along the lines of what you mentioned :D.
  13. Nearo

Nearo Cupcake

Really unfamiliar with all WoW mechanics, but am I correct in what google seems to make it out to be- making your gear look a different way? That sounds really horrid for me if that is how it is, as then as soon as you outlevel said gear you've outleveled the costume too. Maybe I misunderstood that, but regardless that'd be a worst case scenario for costumes in my opinion. I'd like costumes that are in no way connected to gear that you just wear over it, that you never outlevel or anything like that. Seems that's the way wildstar's system is going, with things mentioned like some wardrobes in houses that let you swap between costumes? Not entirely sure though.
    When costumes are skinned over armor it just makes me not even want to focus on a decent outfit until I'm level cap with the best possible gear, and with appearance being one of preferred aspects of a game, being driven away from it through all of leveling really turns me off to a game. The fact wildstar has a large amount of eldergame would compensate a bit, but I really would hate it if it was made as to make me not want to get a nice outfit til the end.
    Dyes already confirmed, minimal need to touch on whether I'd like that (though I do hope they're not all automatically extremely faded colors, also single use would be saddening too but not the end of the world.) and then yeah, just costume slots for appearance is basically my ideal.
    I suppose in things like PvP having your stat gear show is fine, as lots of games do that, and it is logical to want to know what you're up against, but. Well yeah, pretty important to me. (At any rate, even if costumes were attached to what you're wearing permanently, that'd just cause more problem with PvP if anything)
  14. Azzizabiz

Azzizabiz Cupcake

On the point of having a cosmetic gear system, I am for... cosmetic alteration to make one's character more visually appealing to the player. There are a lot of ways to do that, and while there are things that are annoying, or a hassle to deal with in any of them, I have yet to meet one that I didn't think *worked* (I am most familiar with WoW and LOTRO's). I hope Wildstar brings it's own thing, sampling from other systems, that makes sense for it.

On a related note, I have seen this debate on semantics in upcoming MMO's in the periphery of many threads both here, and on other pre-launch MMO's forums (most notably ESO and EQN), in regards to the use of the word "Transmog" or "xmog". To be specific, someone (often, though not exclusively an MMO player whose experience is mostly or entirely WoW) uses the term "Transmog" in a thread about cosmetic alteration of gear, and a stark confrontation often begins. Usually, it is between (often, though not exclusively) people that have come to loathe WoW who jump on the use of the term, and decry how terrible a system they felt it is, and the people who view the term of "Transmog" as something now more universal. I came to this realization when I was reading through the posts of people that use the term "Transmog", and I realized that they've adopted the term as a general reference for cosmetics (not as specifically meaning WoW's exact system). Which makes sense, since WoW (love it or hate it) is by far the most populous MMO on the market currently, and their terminology tends to stick, such as some of the terminology from EQ, FFXI, and DAoC that was already common vernacular in what are now current moderately-aged MMO's. I predict that "Transmog" will eventually become the blanket term for the cosmetic system in the genre.

The TLDR version of the above paragraph is: If they use the term "Transmog", there's a good chance they're using it as a general term for cosmetics, not suggesting Wildstar (or any game) should copy WoW's system.
  15. Fayde

Fayde Cupcake

I don't think you understand fully what is is ill explain it to you.Say you have a lvl 50 piece of gear you can them combine that with the appearance of any other lvl 1-50 gear aslong as you own it and can equip it.So it takes the stats of 1 and the appearance of another and then when your sick of that combo you can just take them both out and redo the whole thing with another piece of gear.
    Nearo likes this.
  16. Fayde

Fayde Cupcake

Exactly when i say transmog i realy mean just any type of costume system similar to transmog i don't only mean WoWs version.
  17. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

Compared to the costume system its just overly complicated. Costumes mean you don't need to go back into town to maintain your look after an upgrade drops.
  18. Fayde

Fayde Cupcake

Ye i'm fine with either system aslong as they are along the same lines.
  19. Geeri

Geeri New Cupcake

I agree with you on this, except on the first point. In PvP, it doesn't really matter what someone is wearing and it makes it that much more interesting to fight someone not knowing what his potential due to gear is. Besides, there are some ballpark-stats, such as the size of someone's healthpool that can somewhat give you an idea.

But for the rest, I think you should somehow be able to port the looks of any gear you have onto any gear you're actually wearing using some system - as long as you've earned the gear yourself.

Obviously; thus, low-level players should not be able to use the appearance of high-level gear.
  20. Nearo

Nearo Cupcake

Thanks for clarifying, I definitely didn't get it. I guess that has some potential in liking one part of one armor, and another from the other... But... well, I'd definitely prefer limited options being unlimitedly used over actual gear to that, I guess maybe a combination of the two would be kinda cool? But yeah.