1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Trial of Champion > Wildstar Arena (IMO)

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Blackfurball, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

Why?

No Gear Treadmill.

I was going to buy Wildstar and focus on its arena.

Now that WoW will remove its gear treadmill I won't anymore.

Can't wait to have 3-4 lvl 100 characters and being able to play with all of them without having to farm gear for each one!

No more suffering for not having the FOTM comp anymore, since you can always play with the FOTM comp with ZERO FARM!!!!

Thk you Blizzard for hearing my prayer!!!
  2. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I don't understand the point of the thread?

Hooray for you - I guess
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  3. TheHidden01

TheHidden01 Cupcake

Whatever works for you, as of this moment I am playing WoW, but no gear or not, I would substitute it all for a deeper and stronger combat system that will truly seperate the men from the boys instead of one shot macros.

TH
  4. Grohmm

Grohmm Cupcake

It's named"Trial of Gladiator".

I think it's a great feature for people who don't understand the principle of a MMORPG and want instant competition. And it's fine.

I consider this feature as a mini-game completely apart from the game, because you're not playing with your character you spent time on. It's impersonal.

The arena system of WoW is still in place and will stay the same. The arena system of Wildstar is closer than the WoW arena than the new trial of gladiator and it's perfect because it's an MMORPG.

Anyway, I think a feature like that could be implemented in the game if the classic arena system stays in.

If a huge amount of the WoW player-base is waiting for Wildstar, it's partly because WoW is not the game we loved anymore!.. And because Wildstar looks freaking awesome!
  5. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

This was tried in Guild Wars 2 and received a lot of praise, till it came out and a small amount of time passed and the PvP community there being rather small and not as competitive as others have hoped.

They are trying the lobby method because it works well in moba's everyone seems to however keep on forgetting mmorpgs aren't lobby games and once their progress in arena no longer carries over in any other part of the game as it does now, you'll see it get a rather large mixed reaction.

Secondly trial of the gladiator not champion is not there to replace the arena system, it is there for special events and only at certain times in the week you'll be able to earn rating there, so it's a system to promote more condensed ranked arena matches. It's not there for your every day player.

See it as "heroic raids" where regular arena are just "raids".
  6. Wildebeest

Wildebeest Cupcake

Blizz can only polish that turd so many times until Time Travel and homogenization can keep people playing. I reached my limit 2 weeks into MoP... Wildstar is the future of MMO's, creating depth to a game via characters customization (meaningful choices to point, spell, and stat allocation) and putting meaningful and hard content in is the key to a successful game. If all the content is available to everyone, nobody feels like any of it matters, therefore baddies must either get better, or enjoy the content they can conquer. Works the same way in PvP, if you are skilled (which truly determines who wins in Wildstar's combat, instead of one shot macros) you get gear faster and rise above, if you aren't you get your gear slow and struggle until you make a conscious effort to improve. Character development, the feeling of progress, is the very essence of a successful MMO, WoW had that when it became huge in the beginning, now it is trying desperately to hold onto anybody it can by giving [REDACTED] away.

If you want to do the WoW thing, more power to ya, but it's a sinking ship imo.
  7. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Welcome to WildStar Central. Here is a link to the Personal Introductions Forum. You are not required to post there but doing so is a good way to meet some of our friendliest members. Tell Kat I said hi.

Have you had the chance to play WildStar? I ask, because of your comment on the importance of skill in WildStar's PvP. If you have, I would be interested to read a more in-depth piece comparing and contrasting PvP in the two games
  8. Wildebeest

Wildebeest Cupcake

A friend of mine played at PAX and has told me that it is unlike any other MMO he has played. Without skillful deployment of spells and leading opponents / anticipating moves one could deal no damage to an enemy while being completely destroyed. He said WoW PvP felt rigid and boring compared because of the abundant lock downs and the tab target combat. More than once I and him have shouted "Boy, I'd love to play the game!" while in an arena match.
    Tribe likes this.