1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tried SWTOR lately?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Cynister, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Cynister

Cynister New Cupcake

I have been looking for a real MMO for about a year now... I have tried several MMO's in that time, here is a list.

1. Rift (kiddie or immature brat city)
    2. Guild Wars 2 (combat felt...off... I dunno) and the new
    3. The new Final Fantasy (um finish a game before you release it, and omg was it boring and buggy)
    4. Planetside 2 (Planetside in name only, nothing on the orginal. Fun for a while though)

Never once did I try SWTOR, I bought into all the hate. Maybe a lot was justified, or maybe it wasn't. Either way I bought in head, line and sinker. But recently after giving the above MMO's a try I decided to finally give SWTOR a go... And I have to say, this probably is the most complete and polished MMO I have ever played. Combat is good, the cut scenes are awesome, companion (pets) very well done, dungeons are damn good!

All I can say is that if you were like me and wanting something to pass the time while you wait for Wildstar, you might want to give SWTOR a go. So far so great with me, wish I would have tried it when it first came out instead of listening to those silly reviews.
  2. Expulze

Expulze New Cupcake

I played that game sionce beta for over a year, hoping for some epic pvp content. It came in drips and drabs, and unfortunately all the solid PVP guilds left by the time anything noteworthy was released (Arenas has only JUSt released after over 2 years). The game from a role-player or PVE'r perspectives is fantastic, especially if you're a Star Wars fan :)
  3. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

My time in SWTOR is great... just too bad they took to long to implement the much needed changes after launch (ie: merge servers amongst others).
    I recently returned and started levelling an alt, and the experience is still very good.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

If you play the game and look at it as a Single Player RPG, it's awesome...as an MMO? not so much.
    Dirty Outlaw and sidhia like this.
  5. sidhia

sidhia Cupcake

I agree with kataryna that this is a great single player game.

I played for a while and was complexly wow'ed by some parts. Others left me a bit left cold and, in the end, at loose ends.

Pro's:
    Fantastic story line. There really is no “good” side. I am not at all interested in game lore or roll playing but this game pulled me into my characters story very early and I genuinely wanted to see what would happen next. I was a bit, ummm how to put it, disturbed? to find that my character had slept with an NPC after just a short acquaintance. One minute I was selecting conversation options, ok flirting a little bit, the next thing I knew we were having post cigarettes in dwindling candle light. To top it off he dumped her after one night. I could have lived without that.

The companions were tremendous fun and I enjoyed their different personalities and getting to gear them up as well.

The novelty of having inside city zones was really neat and having it be in a science fiction setting allowed them to really show off their graphics. Some of the holograms and city views are stunning. While wildstar, the little of it I have seen, seems to be a sci-fi/ fantasy hybrid SWTOR is all sci-fi all the way.

Con’s:

End Game. There really wasn’t anything to do other than combat. By combat I mean either in raids, dungons, or open world and the combat was what you would expect. SWTOR was slightly different in that most mobs came in threes. A more common game thing lately, but the combat mechanics were the same old same old and there was nothing in particular to farm for.

There was crafting but, at the time I was playing the game, the cost of the gathering “missions” outweighed the potential benefit most of the time. Also crafting was heavily reliant on the expensive missions and cross crafting.

The game was fun while I went thru character story lines but kind of fell apart after that. A good game needs a multitude of ways to further customize and grow your characters after level cap.
  6. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

I started playing Swtor lately and i have to say the game gets pretty dead at/after hoth.
    Its really sad but its true.You dont find people to do heroic 4's or anything as group and you are forced to play alone most of the time.

The worst think at the moment in Swtor is the retarded F2P model that its not F2P but Free to try.Some restrictions are just retarded and show easily how much Bioware is either ignorant or has no clue how to run an MMORPG.Best example is the new expansion.Subs get it at start of December,Preffered get is start of January and F2P at February.Seems that Bioware is trying to earn as much money as possible before finally closes the game.

On top of that keep in mind failures like patches coming ''accidentally'' 1 day before they should and you are forced to download the whole game again.

Planets also having multiple instances when there are like 50 people is again a problem.You see most of the time 1-2 people while playing and that in major quest hubs.

I also agree with Kataryna that if you see the game like an Single player RPG is awesome.But if you see it as an MMORPG you should go an play Hello kitty online.

ps.To people that come in diffence and say since F2P there are like 2.5 million accounts made ask yourself something.How many of thoses left typhon and also how many of those subed or preffered before quitting with those pathetic restrictions.
    If you think that i shall pay so i can be able to show/hide my head slot or to upgrade my invetory you are wrong.This is a sign of a really really bad F2P MMORPG and a company that is trying to earn money from all sources.
  7. Lokken

Lokken New Cupcake

Have to agree with the people above, SWTOR was fun as a single player game but was lacking in the MMO department. I played at launch but left before the first big content patch and never really looked back. Glad your enjoying it. =)
  8. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Pretty much what I thought and even then it was really only the main story for you class character and lot of the side stuff was bland though I did like the spaceship mini-game you could do its kinda like starfox, but other than those two things there wasn't much to be had with SWTOR At least it got me to max level though which is better than other mmos in the market at the moment.

Yeah I still get hang up on the option of buying extra action bars. Some of really bad cash shop ideas.
  9. Corblock

Corblock New Cupcake

it might surprise you, but active subs have been on a steady rise for most of this year from what I hear, I don't have a number to give at the moment, would have to do my homework first, but the game is making a large profit for both biowares and EA, so while we say the f2p model is retarded, and from a gaming standpoint I agree, from a business standpoint, its been a stroke of brilliance that really encourages you with a blaster pointed at your slave collar neck to spend money on the game.

As for the game itself, once you get into the lvl 35-50 range the player population does stretch rather thing, but quickly picks back up in the end game zones. But in the end what really drives this game is the stories for each class, after you complete one class story, you have an incredible urge to try another one since each class has its own individual story to experience, and own unique npc followers who interact with you through out the story.

from my perspective SWTOR has become a really good game that can now stand on its own, the current game with full unlocks is what this game should of been at launch
  10. Corblock

Corblock New Cupcake

my suggestion to anyone, shell out $15 for a 1 month sub, cancel soon after, enjoy your 30 days of full unlocks, you get 500 cartel coins with the sub, save them, and save your in game cash as well, you can buy all the unlocks on the games GTN *auction house*
  11. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Subs increasing but there are no players around to play with....
    Intresting ...
  12. Cynister

Cynister New Cupcake

I have to say that I really don't by into the sub numbers they put out. Compared to other MMO's its does not have the numbers online to really support that claim.

It's sad really it seems like people rather play Rift and that Final Fantasy which pale in comparison to this game IMO. Not to mention the community is pretty decent as well for the most part, can't say that about Rift...
  13. Lookeba

Lookeba Cupcake

It really is a nice looking and well put together game. I have played it off and on since launch but I've never made it to end game mostly because my wow friends keep talking me into heading back over there for a month or two at a time.

I'd be willing to give SWTOR another shot if I were to find a good guild that made me want to stay around.