1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

TWO different stealth classes!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by JSanta88, Feb 16, 2013.

1. JSanta88

JSanta88 New Cupcake

I don't know if anyone already caught this. In the "Friends and Family Footage" video, at 1:19 Jeremy Gaffney says, "This is ONE of our stealth classes..." If there was only one stealth class one would think he would have worded it as "This is our stealth class." Or, "This is one of our classes, one that stealths." I don't know about you all, but I think his wording might have been a slip.
    Zinn likes this.
  2. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

I get your point i do, but it could have also just been how he phrased it. The poor guy would have to get a team together to vet an answer, then put it up on a teleprompter if he wanted to make sure everything he said couldn't be interpreted otherwise.
  3. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

It could but if we all start checking every word, every pause and every gesture Carbine does we will need a therapist, a good one.
    Paranoia.
    Draogon likes this.
  4. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

Nice find. :)
  5. JSanta88

JSanta88 New Cupcake

Based on how casually the video was narrated, I doubt anyone reviewing it would have thought twice about it. I didn't catch it the first several times I watched it. I was actually reading the thread about the settler that Scooter commented on where he asked the community to point out the footage of the settler which was in the same video. At that time, Scooter was unaware any footage of the settler path had been revealed. Interviews I hear now, people from carbine are sitting in the room with the person being interviewed to make sure no unintended information comes out. This shows how strict they've become about what information is released now that they have a solid timeline for releasing it. This video, when made, was probably sent to a QA team or something along those lines prior to its release and because of the very subtle wording, the statement could have been easily overlooked. Think about the context of that statement substituting "stealth" for any other class types. "This is one of our melee classes", "this is one of our Mage classes." These sound fine because they imply multiple classes of the same type or role. To say "This is one of our warrior classes" would either make no sense, or imply that there was more than one.
  6. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

I think so too.

I'd say it's unlikely for two out of six launch classes to use so similar mechanics. Perhaps one of the remaining unrevealed classes utilizes stealth in a different way, maybe just some abilities that grant temporary invisibility as opposed to perma-stealth as we've seen in the Stalker footage.

On the other hand, who knows, maybe they are already working on new classes for an expansion! :D
    starspun, nomotog and Draogon like this.
  7. Draogon

I thought that too but i figured if Jsanta88 was the kind of guy to pick up on that in the first place then the use of the word "stealth" would have him explaining how other classes use "invis" not stealth. Stealth being seen more as an offensive tactic while invis is more defensive/evasive.

In short i didn't want to add fuel to the fire :p
  8. JSanta88

JSanta88 New Cupcake

WoW has Rogues and Druids which could both use perma-stealth at launch. I don't think it is too far-fetched to think WS might do the same. And thanks for the compliment Draogon.
  9. Draogon

IMO thats different to what you said originally, at least thats how i read it. Also possible im being pedantic :p

I expect only one class to use stealth, i wouldn't be surprised however if another class had invis.
  10. JSanta88

JSanta88 New Cupcake

What I originally said was Gaffney's word "might" have been a slip under the heading "TWO stealth classes!"

My definition of stealth, as you described, is a skill used to cloak your character giving you an advantage in combat and tactical positioning. Stealth is generally designed to incorporate the use of abilities and abilities that break stealth in combat often receive a bonus. Other perks of stealth would include the ability to avoid conflicts with enemies and the possibility of escaping an encounter.

Invisibility generally would not be used for combat in a sense that your offensive skills receive no benefit from using while cloaked besides the element of surprise. Invisibility is generally timed and used for mainly evasive purposes which you also stated. In my experience, many actions break invisibility, including those made for combat offering no additional bonus when the cloaking buff is lost.

I would definitely consider a WoW Druid to be a stealth class.
    Draogon likes this.
  11. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

True enough, but even then it was just one and a 1/3 class out of the nine at launch. Druids never were a pure stealth class like rogues. :)

As for invisibility being more defensive, maybe a tanking class could make use of it somehow. Similar how Riftstalker rogues in Rift heavily rely on teleportation as tanks. Becoming (partially) invisible to reduce the chance of being hit, etc.
  12. JSanta88

JSanta88 New Cupcake

Who said anything about six classes? Sure it's on their website now as listing two question marks, however there is a possibility, albeit a small one, for those question marks being intentional misinformation as well. They might show two more in the coming weeks and add surprise classes that no one would suspect (or so they think ;) )
  13. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

Guys! Maybe there are more than 2!!
  14. Draogon

Thats fine, i just got the feeling you were leaning more towards something like a rogue AND an assassin.
  15. JSanta88

JSanta88 New Cupcake

I'm honestly thinking the spellslinger may have an "invisibility" spell that functions as stealth which is yet unannounced. He is already a close/mid range fighter and rogue-like in a lot of ways.

Or, the mystery rifle class which I will henceforth refer to as sniper class (if it is a separate class and not a warrior/stalker/spellslinger spec) may also utilize stealth. Here are a couple examples:

"Ghost shot/specter shot/phantom shot/cloak shot etc"- fire a projectile for xx bonus damage and trigger your cloaking device applying stealth. This would allow the sniper to move to a new position to then fire a new shot (assuming "ghost shot" is on cool-down)which gets additional bonus for breaking stealth (ranged version of a backstab type move).

The sniper may also be able to cloak to deploy traps in melee range unseen and sneak back out to the outskirts of the battle to attack causing the enemy to run over the trap. To make this more efficient he may have the ability to "blink" or "teleport" in granting several seconds of stealth while a trap is placed then when the stealth wears off, the blink would be reversed recalling the sniper to the original position unless stealth is broken prematurely.

The sniper's "stealth" may not be as permanent as a stalker's (only a few seconds) allowing a lot of maneuvering, however it may be useful to the class for combat purposes. The blink idea I mentioned would also work with the environmental hazards like detonating the explosive crate or triggering that thorny pod from the stalker video released Wednesday.

This may only be one spec of the sniper as cat form was only one spec of the Druid. I would still define the sniper I described to be a stealth class, assassin, and ambusher.

There are a lot of possibilities for carbine to incorporate a combative form of stealth into the game besides that of the stalker, again this is merely an example.
    Hope and Michael Thysson like this.
  16. Michael Thysson

Michael Thysson New Cupcake

Holy <REDACTED> all of that sounds awesome, wouldn't really conflict with a class that does have permanent stealth, as this is much more defensive and would require on-the-go judgement of a situation.

I feel that would really add a bit of depth. Nice one.
    JSanta88 likes this.
  17. Jon

Jon Cupcake

He also says "they" later.
    JSanta88 likes this.
  18. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I love speculation...but damn dudes, do y'all spend lots of time picking apart every video?

Could be there is two, could be the way he answered the question after answering tons of questions, could be he is purposefully disingenuous to make you start threads like this. Hmmm. ;)
    Ingsoc likes this.
  19. JSanta88

JSanta88 New Cupcake

The way he says they though can be taken two ways. They meaning more than one stealth class, since stealth class(es) were the topic of the video.

They could mean stalkers though. Ex: "Here is our stealth class, the stalker. What makes them great is that 'they' have the ability to disappear."

Nice find either way. Again my original post was merely speculation to begin with.
  20. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I like the speculation. Saves me the trouble! :)