1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Underlying personal objective as a guild leader.

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Yorobashi, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Apparently this post was unimaginative and people are easily offended by someone talking about their guild when going into detail about your PERSONAL OBJECTIVES AS A GUILD LEADER! Sorry though, maybe the topic didn't say it, do i need to repeat the reason of this post to the community within MY objectives post? I'm not here to just give a nice quandry to the rest of the community without answering it myself.

If you feel this is something I should be describing in my guilds description

So now that my rants done since people want to flame and troll over assumptions about a post I made at 4:30 in the morning. Why am I a guild leader. That is the question at hand, because obviously if you did not have some sort of personal objective to be fulfilled you would not be leading a guild.

1. To create a lasting community.
    methods used to achieve this goal:
    • Forming strong bonds/friendships with my members which transcend individual games, genre.
    • Creating an environment that is entertaining and addicting to be involved with.
    • Having an event calendar to give my guildies an additional reason to login other than the daily grind.
    2. To clear all raid content in a timely manner.
    methods used to achieve this goal:
    • creating guild grouping content to be done each day before a raid to get the community gathered prior to raid which in addition helps prevent boredom and resentment towards those guildies who show up right at raid time. (things like doing world bosses, guild BGs, house parties, and a number of other activities to promote community bonding)
    • Have no end time for a raid, but rather setting goals to be achieved before the night is ended. Example: my guild is currently 6/12 through the current tier of raid content, we raid 4 nights a week so we set our first night to clearing at least 4 bosses our first night, any additional progression is just icing, but our raids continue on until no one is left to fill raid spots. If bill can start raiding at 10 and can be on till midnight, and jim has to leave at 10 well there you go bill subs in for jim and we keep on going. Most guild leaders can't be bothered with setting up a schedule to match their raiders needs but they sure as hell seem to be able to order their guildies to be on the same piss cycle. We're not about that.
    • Constructive advice and critiquing of struggling members post raid to properly educate them on how to deal with the matter that they are currently struggling with, it's not hard people, it just takes time and patience. Even the squeakiest of hinges can be silenced with enough greasing.
    3. Entertain the masses. Possibly the most challenging of goals.
    methods used to achieve goal:
    • When you're running a community, instead of a federal penitentiary, the greatest mistake you can make is not creating user generated content for your members to take part in. Have a raider who has 4 friends in the guild who have never expressed an interest in raiding? Pay attention to what they do while their on line, 6 hours in AV together? Let's see who else is interested in BGs, Oh look we now have a full premade guild BG group running every day, and now I have a PvP raid leader who went from being an unproductive stranger to someone who commands (not demands) a large amount of respect from his guildies for his efforts.
    • After you've discovered what ever it is your members want to do aside from raid or PvP, you need to develop a method of not only promoting their interest but getting your guild involved with them. Never assume you're way is the best way therefor the only way. Great communities are built upon just how perceptive their leaders are to the needs of the individuals. Example: Johnny has been in your guild for 2 weeks, he joined as a Friends/Family, Johnny likes playing the auction house, start giving him small tasks like managing the guilds item overflows, and let him keep 10% of the profit, after he proves himself trustworthy, allot him to be your guild's treasurer. His reason for wanting to do this? he gets to play with bigger numbers and makes profit off doing so while at the same time becoming a major player within the community.
    • Change things up, is the guild currently ahead of the curve for its raid schedule that week? inform your raiders that tomorrow you'll attempt a naked encounter of the raid. Why do things like this? Not only do challenges like naked raids actually cause players to have to become far more cautious of taking damage but it also provides a sense of relief that this is not a serious raid night, it's just something to do for fun to unwind. These are great times to also allow people to just have open chat during the encounter and get to know players they've otherwise had next to no involvement with.
    These are my 3 main objectives in leading a gaming community. I've been at this for quite a few years so I've gotten quite good at figuring out unique ways to ensure that these objectives are met within each of my communities. My other objectives reflect similarly to other hardcore PvE raiding guilds (as it is my personal interest within MMOs).
  2. pondfilter

pondfilter Cupcake

What is the point of this thread? It obviously isn't a recruitment thread since: 1) You're in the wrong sub forum. 2) You already have a recruitment thread.

Do you want to know what others have envisioned for their guilds?

What are they doing wrong? Are you saying that when people have a fight outside of a raid and verbally attack eachother, they shouldn't take it seriously 'because it's outside of a raid'?

Pretty confused as to what purpose this thread serves.
    Aheadache, Soylentgreen and salazar like this.
  3. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

And I "WANT TO GO TO THE MOON" but unless I join a RL Astronauts guild, lose 20 pounds and learn rocket science it ain't gonna happen.

Kudos on running a six man guild and figuring out how to post in blue text though.
    Heaspgood and Ph0xx like this.
  4. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

This really does feel like a recruitment thread that's "not a recruitment thread" because that would be discouraged.

You've basically just done a recruitment ad for the first two paragraphs and then capped it off with an explanation why your guild is like that. If this is to be viewed as anything other than a recruitment ad I think you should ask a question of others, solicit opinion about something you said or set up some way this could be viewed as a discussion.
  5. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

You could do a poll.

We love polls.
  6. Soylentgreen

I don't think it would rise to the relevance of another Dominion vs. Exile poll or S v. *.
    Bisqquit likes this.
  7. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Despite what you guys might think, there is actually a discussion to be had, as long as you stick to the topic rather than accusing the OP. So stick to that topic, please. </Mod Monocle>
    iiFrank likes this.
  8. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Oh I dono about that, some of the polls have been really 50/50.

Post looks like an extension of his recruitment effort, nothing wrong with that.
    iiFrank likes this.
  9. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

While I agree that there is a discussion to be had under the threads title, the OPs post is so vague and un-insightful it kinda leaves itself open to the kind of responses it got.

Let me tell you about my own personal objectives as a raiding guild leader.

• To provide a full raid for our members every time it was advertised.
    • To clear content before a significant nerf.
    • To be absolutely transparent when distributing loot and keeping DKP up to date every morning following a raid (this was a pain).
    • People spending too much time on things like pvp and not farming rep would get a warning followed by /gkick.
    • Recruiting players of similar quality and skill to the existing core or recruiting guys with similar experience who were willing to put the time in to learn.
    • Saying no to scrubs and demonstrating this to to the rest of the guys to put them at ease.
    • Forcing members online to be on voice comms. No exceptions.
    If you notice, I made no mention of keeping people happy. My job was done if the top two objectives were met.
    Aheadache likes this.
  10. Soylentgreen

I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing the OP but I still don't understand this and I'll attempt to explain why.

In neither the post or the title was there any question, no question mark, no five W's, no how, nothing to indicate what feedback he was looking for. In addition to this when I came upon the thread I was expecting something very different from what I read.

For me a "underlying personal objective" would be something like a guild leader who forms a guild because he lacks power in his real life and he wants to feel some power in his game life, or someone who forms a guild to give his character people to RP with, these are personal objectives because they serve the person (guild leader) pursuing them. This further confused me because the OP switches from the personal pronoun I to We in the middle of the first paragraph so it ceases to be personal and singular and becomes a discussion about the group or guild objectives.

I'm sorry I just don't understand it really, not trying to be accusatory though I suppose I came across like that in my first response.
  11. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Oops, mine were listed as primary personal objectives. My 'underlying' objective was to get girls in the guild and perv on their facebooks.
    Yorobashi and Soylentgreen like this.
  12. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Wow, this post kind of exploded out of nowhere, but ya this is meant to be a thread for guild leaders to express more so why they lead a guild, and what they're trying to create. I was a bit out of it when I first posted this thread at 4 am. I'll have to revise it a bit tonight after work.

To answer your second question as far as what they're doing wrong, they shouldn't be taking anything our core says seriously, in raid our officers are very professional, and only call people out on things that are relevant to our current encounter, outside of a raid environment though we're the type of community that acts more like a family than a group of friends, we like to pick on each other, and sometimes we do take a joke a bit to far, so it's something I do like to point out about us so people don't take what we say personally outside of a raid. We don't outright verbally ATTACK each other, its more like....

"hey... hey... i got something to tell you. your ears are ugly."
    /duel
    "BRING IT ON FLUFFY MAN"
  13. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Thanks for the flame block.

as far as the size of our guild, just because only 2 members of our core community have joined Special Delivery (which is ONLY our WildStar guild, our actual communities as a whole are primarily managed through VOIPs As far as how many members I expect to see active within our WildStar guild just from our community as a whole, I'm expecting in the range of 20 people from our hadcore circle and around 2 dozen or more from our more casual base.

I don't force people to use forums, a large number of our members just can't be bothered with it, they're interested in gaming, and unless a chat log is integrated into a game they can't be bothered. Let that say what it will about the type of people that have stuck around over the years with us, but sitting around talking on ventrilo or mumble has always felt a bit more natural to us than paragraphs on a forums that can be put under scrutiny because it goes off topic.

On blue txt, its just a click away. :)
  14. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I force every member of the guild to sign up for the forums. It's kind of a pre-requisite anyway in order to apply. The reason I do this is to reassure new members that we actually exist. A crowd brings a crowd as they say and if I saw 6 members on your roster I will assume you have 6 members in your guild.

Also purple text.
  15. Classix

Classix Cupcake

Looks more like dark-pink text to me.

I find it hard to get every member we have to sign up for these forums let alone post to introduce themselves with 2-3 words. We may have 50-60 or so people signed up for our guild but when only 15 or 20 decide to show themselves. :whistling: Course I'm not even an officer in my guild so people don't have to listen to me. Still as a past guild leader myself I know the importance of keeping your guild active in community hubs. We've least gotten 4-5 recruits just from these forums with a soft-recruitment opening. Honestly if you don't want to make use of this fine by me (more recruits for us to look at). Course probably only half of the people we have will fit our guilds definition of hardcore gamers. I really wouldn't want to offend people but some of them we shouldn't have accepted. We still hope they find a good-guild even if its not with us.

I would have to say everyone with a prior argument here have a point (though they argued it rather aggressively). This looks more like a Guild Recruitment Ad then a valid discussion. Guild leaders (or perhaps only smart-ones) are going to explain their guilds in their recruitment forum. What their plans and objectives are all should be covered in their recruitment page. Which I don't really mind myself, just don't expect people not to realize its a shameless plug. They aren't dumb.

That said! If your planing on joining Dominion and think your a gamer hardcore enough in your field give Terminus a once over. <---Shameless plug
  16. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

I wouldnt consider my post a shameless plug when im both introducing myself and my reason for being a leader not a follower obviously my post will largely be about my guild and how I run it. This is a post, which i clearly need to redefine as a "why I decided to and continue to lead a guild.