1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Unique MMO Developer/Community Interactions

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Zap-Robo, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

PlanetSide2 Live Streamed Dev Meeting
    I found the above an interesting for a developer to do. Essentially, the devs of PlanetSide 2 had one of their design meetings on a live stream. They discussed what their individual departments were working on for balance and upcoming changes. Afterwards they answered a couple of questions from the public.

Obviously, this can only really be done once in a beta state, but I'd love to see this sort of thing done for more games (hint, hint). It really gave a unique insight into the process.

GuildWars2 Public "Name and Shame" Suspension Reasons
    This, likewise, was a new and interesting take on something in the MMO-space. ArenaNet are publically posting reasons for their bans/blocks when asked about them by the recipient. And when I say reasons, I mean the specific evidence they were blocked for - quite NSFW!
    JarNod likes this.
  2. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I loved the GW2 Name and Shame thread. All of those people pretending to be innocent. I love it
  3. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I was reading the GW2 one during down times yesterday. That is a wonderful read about the idiocy of so many people. I for one am glad to see ArenaNet taking this kind of a stance. One of my favorites (paraphrased to avoid NSFW) was asking why his name which alluded to the size of his member being rather large was banned. A (non-ArenaNet) responder stated "for false advertising".
  4. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I absolutely love that ArenaNet is actually enforcing their naming policy and code of conduct, especially this early on, when the in-game community is in its formative stage. I can get the occasional slip ("<REDACTED>, I forgot that rich ore node back there"), but flat out abuse (whether it's being flung at someone specific or cussing out everyone around you)? You deserve a time-out. You wouldn't act that way toward complete strangers in real life, you shouldn't do it online just because you're anonymous.

It's really refreshing to see, and it's something I hope Carbine will do with WildStar, too. Nip the issue in the bud before it turns into a real problem.
  5. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

I've been playing quite a bit of GW2 and it is definitely pleasant. Not a lot of trolling and everyone is relatively helpful. All-in-all, I'd call it a success. However, I don't like that there isn't 1) a trade feature, 2) CoD mailing. Trading things right now is a chore! Luckily people are nice so it doesn't matter as much.
  6. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I'm definitely missing the lack of player-to-player trades, especially since the trading post has been down. I can sort of understand why they opted out of it (better control of the market, I guess?), but I mostly don't - it really is a necessary feature. Hopefully they'll realize this and add it in a future content patch. CoD mailing would also be nice, but not something that is important for me (especially since most of the time I've received CoD mail, it's been scam attempts - thankfully I've never fallen for them but I know people who have).

I'm also anxiously awaiting a first person view. It absolutely baffles me this wasn't in from the start when they've created this absolutely beautiful world for players to explore.
  7. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

This perplexed me too. I am a screenshot junkie, but having to take one with my character's head smack in the middle just loses its appeal. I have gotten a lot of great ones from the vista cinematic views though. If you want to see amazing and have not been there yet, check out The Grove.