1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

US Servers Please Have Dedicated East/West Servers

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by BlindSear, Jun 5, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I know mixing people together is great and all, and bringing people together all over the world or country is the point of the internet, but please Carbine dedicate servers to east coast and west coast.

With a 3 hour time disparity between east coast and west coast, it's ridiculously hard to come up with a reasonable raid time that isn't the weekend when you have a guild made up of both these time zones. I felt this really hard in WoW, and it was obnoxious. I didn't realize that the population was mostly west coast until I had hit max level, due to no real label of being for "east coast" or "west coast." To make it more confusing the server I was on was hosted in New York, which is on the East Coast. I went through looking for guilds to try to get into, and of course all of them were unreasonably late on weeknights (something like 10 pm - 12 am start times that ran 3-4 hours on 3 nights in a row.) This is because it's 7-9 pm on West Coast.

I'm really hoping Carbine makes server have the geographical location for the server for US, and hopefully have the servers hosted there too, but even if they're hosted on West Coast, have it labelled an East Coast server, so players can more easily organize groups.

Additional thoughts?

2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Inlanders never get the love we deserve. :(

3. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I have to disagree. It's a minor inconvenience most of the time. You have had the worst experience I've heard of, but normally it's not that hard to move things around so everyone can join the raid. I live on the west coast (almost literally I'm close to the beach) and raided with mostly east coast players. This meant raid times were early for me, right after work, I had to hurry each raid day after work to show up on time. Also meant dinner those nights were later, or I ate during raid (between pulls, during trash, I got good at shoveling food down my throat during calm healing times in bosses too).

Zwipe likes this.
  4. Zwipe

Zwipe Cupcake

a personal concern of mine would be if someone works odd or late hours. let's say someone has to stay late until 3am for some reason. their chances of doing a 40 man raid would be slim to none. Personally, I wouldnt mind playing with anyone in the world as long as we share a common language. Diversity is good.

5. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, you've pointed out how it can work but still inconvenience west coasters, but it means you may have to raid a little early, or raid at a normal hour, but imagine if the groups were all either raiding at a normal time, or super late. Super late being ones you can't do, because you have to wake up the next morning. The only other option is sacrificing multiple weekend nights. But in actuality what happens, is the east coast raid times all get full, because east coasters and west coasters who want an early raid time join them, and then there's some east coasters who have to either sacrifice their weekend nights, or raid absurdly late.

It does not work the other way around. It would be the equivalent as if players raided before work, so that would be from 6 am to 8:30 am east coast time, which is 3 am to 5:30 am west coast. It'd be the same issue, west coasters couldn't make those raids. It's not about getting rid of a minor inconvenience for east coasters, it's getting rid of something that can be detrimental to game experience.

A west coaster on an east coast server is minorly inconvenienced, to moderately inconvenienced. An east coaster on a west coast server is gimped, like major gimped. You have to find an entire guild who's willing to bend to your schedule, which simply won't happen. So, the players you can group with is severely limited because of this, which hurts the community.

I'm not saying people couldn't choose to be on another server, just make it so they're labelled so players are aware of the bias before joining up.

6. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

But how could they effectively label it before the game launches? I guarantee you that the name and type will have a much larger impact on people picking that server than if it has a west or east label on it. Like you even say in your OP, it was an east coast server but populated by west coast people. You could still run into the exact same situation you were in before.

7. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

I hope so.
    As a west coast player who can't raid until after 8pm (so 11pm EST) it can be so difficult to find a guild (since almost everyone starts at 6-7pm or earlier.)

My husband and I GM'd for years simply because it was the easiest way to ensure we'd actually have a guild that worked for us. With 40 man raids (which means less guilds overall) I worry it will be even harder.

8. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Almost can guarantee you won't find any east coast made raid times starting at 3 am east coast or west coast time. So... Why not make servers which show the geographical location which they're for, then you can handpick a server which is likely to be raiding at 3am your time, which also speaks your language?

Diversity in the server is fine, but allowing people to make informed decisions on which server they're joining allows those who do play at similar hours to congregate. In other words if you could join a server that was average play hours of 1 AM your time to 6AM your time, and predominately spoke the same language, would you not want to know that server exists?

9. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

I just hope they have Timezone US Servers...please

Rogosh likes this.
  10. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

It was unlabelled. It was hosted on the east coast. So there was no reason for west coast players to be on the server, other than that's where they decided to randomly go.

As an example for server names:
    Dominion Dominance US Server (East) PVP
    Exiled US Server (West) PVP
    Raiders Anonymous US Server (West) PVE
    DPS DAWGZ US Server (East) PVE

This works perfectly if you have at least 2 of each server type. For those types that would only have one server keep it as just the one server, so for RP it may end up being that you only have one server. That's fine too, because all of the population of East coast and West coast RPers are there, so there's 100% chance of you finding a US RP guild if you were going to find it. It wouldn't necessarily force players to join up with the respective coast, but it would guide them in that direction. Trust me it doesn't help to have a 3 hour later difference in time, it feels terrible.

It'd allow for players to more easily find a raid group that fit them better, as there would be a range of guilds who all raid at reasonable hours. Late night raiding for West coast is early morning for East. Similarly, Late night raiding for east coast is just raiding time for West coast. So, if you are on the east coast and want a late night raiding/playtime you just roll on a west coast server. Similarly if you want an earlier time and live on the west coast, you'll have a better shot at finding a guild on an east coast server. These dichotomies already exist, all you're doing is allowing players to consciously choose which one they want.

It also improves your chances of finding a guild with a good fit, instead of just finding the one that meets your time, and you're stuck with whatever people are there, whether you like how they do things or not.

11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

If they have enough servers to do this, that's fine but I think at least east and west should be done...

Teehk likes this.
  12. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think it's really necessary you just have to tell them which times you are raiding beforehand then they can decide whether it fits into their schedule or not. There would still be east coast people playing on the west coast and vice versa to play with friends and such so I think it would just end up separating the community with no real gain.

13. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So... if you were on a server that the majority of the raid times ended an hour or two after you went to sleep, you'd just say "This is great because I get to play with my friends!" Remember, you're asleep... so... you can't actually raid with them, unless you want to sacrifice every friday and saturday night, which no one's willing to do to put together a raid anyway.

14. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

If the majority of raid times ended an hour or two after I went to sleep it would not make a difference to me because I'm not looking to be in the "majority" of guilds lol, I'd be looking for one guild and sure enough with all the guilds on every server it's easy enough to find one that has the same raiding times that you would run. If for some reason that is not possible you can always go on the forums and look for a guild then use a server transfer. ^^

15. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Seems sensible enough, at least in a game large enough to have multiple servers of each type. Obviously people find a way to work around it if a server isn't labeled and they end up on one with lots of players who are on different schedules, but why not give people the information? It never ends up completely geographically segregating a server, anyway. People who like to play in the afternoons often pick East Coast servers wherever they live, while night owls gravitate toward West Coast ones.

BlindSear likes this.
  16. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

That seems unbalanced, because everyone is obviously going to want to play on the DPS DAWGZ server. Who could resist a name like that?

Miatog and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Ok, how would you like it to be on a server, that upon reaching max level simply has mechanics in the game, where you have a choice of 6 different guilds, and no choice of any others. That's what you're telling me. That putting a label on these servers is going to somehow break the game because players will know they're choosing servers which line up with their current lifestyle?

I honestly think it's a problem that you can't fully understand unless you live in a -5:00 or -6:00 time zone. Unless apparently you are Kiri, who has the opposite time constraints of having to raid at a later time, so she cannot raid with an east coast guild, period. The likelihood that the guild would be able to end their raid at 2 AM on a weeknight just wouldn't happen, either that or she would be really limited to the number of guilds she can join.

Edit: and esselle8

18. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Notice I made it an east coast server. :p

19. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

WoW's servers were (still are?) set to a specific time zone. Some were PST, others were CST, and others were EST.

Most of the Oceanic population went into the PST servers before they got their own.

There used to be an easy way to tell (besides logging in and looking at the clock), but I haven't paid attention to that stuff in a long time so I don't remember what it was.

20. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

We need some Central love in here. D:

MIDLANDERS UNIIIIIIIIIITE!!!!!