1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

User Generated Quests

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Shady, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

So, I was wondering about this for a while now, what if players could make quests for other players?
    Say there's an item I want to get, a stack of Liquid Nitro for example, that item is only dropped by a certain monster, but for some reason I can't get it, I make a quest so someone can get it for me.
    But don't stop there! make the user able of creating quests for almost anything.
    A couple of examples:

- Group with me.
    - Kill X mob with me.
    - Get me this item.
    - Deliver this for me.
    - Walk a certain distance with me.

These are just the ones of the top of my head, but there are many many more options!

Q&A:

- How do I submit a UGQ(User Generated Quest)?
    There will be a UGQ Board; you go to this UGQ Board, click on "Create new UGQ", a menu pops up asking you about the UGQ type (i.e. what the person taking up this UGQ will have to do, e.g. fighting, grouping, moving/walking, collecting, socializing...etc), after you choose the UGQ type, collecting for example, you input the amount of the item you want the other player to collect for me, then you set the reward, and that's it.

- How will it look like when I'm taking up a UGQ?
    You will open the UGQ Board, there will be a couple of filters, UGQ Type, UGQ Reward, UGQ difficulty(automatically calculated by the game)...etc. You set the filters and a list of UGQ's will appear meeting the according to those filters, or just leave the filters and all the UGQ's will appear.

- What is the reward after accomplishing a UGQ?
    The item promised by the user who created the UGO.

- How can I set a reward for my UGQ?
    You will set any kind of reward, as long as you have it.

- How does the reward system work?
    You will set it to anything you want, currency, item, pet, EXP, as long as you have that item in the amount that you set, this item will be reserved by the game as soon as you make a UGQ, the game will decide if the player taking up your UGQ accomplished the objective you set for them, if it is collecting a stack of Uratoniuom for example, that stack will be reserved by the game as well, a trade will be made, the stack of Uratoniuom will be given to you (the one who made the UGQ), and the reward will be given to the player that has taken up your UGQ.

- Did you say EXP as a reward?
    Yes, I did say that, the EXP you set will be deducted from your total EXP, meaning that you can go down levels if you set the EXP reward too high.

I would really like to discuss this subject in full details with you, do you think it's good? bad? useless?
    Maddog Charlie and SDR like this.
  2. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Outsourcing quests to China? OK, just joking.

If this gave xp to the person not really doing anything, I could see it as a backdoor to legalise buying levelling service.

Other than that, the idea is interesting. Would add to a hybrid theme park / sandbox feel.
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  3. SDR

SDR Cupcake

It sounds really awesome but it could easily be abused if its not done well.
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  4. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

Nope, as I said, the game will be able to tell if the player finished the objective of the UGQ or not, for example, with killing, it would be pretty simple for the game to tell if that player actually killed the Skeech Chieftain for you or not.
  5. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

While I love UGC in MMO's (such as the Mission Architect in City of Heroes), I don't think being able to set your own XP pool as a reward is necessarily balanced. It could be used as a free respec option, for instance, by setting the entire XP pool of a max level character to kill a L1 mob. New character kills mob, instant max level!

While open world games like EVE Online lend themselves to a bounty/courier type mission system, I'm not sure how well that might fit into WildStar beyond a consignment system for the Auction House (a la CoH).
  6. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I think player created quests can be exploited in a way that could negatively impact players' experience gain, by either creating quests too easy or get rewards in large amounts, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see how it can be balanced.
  7. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, but it's also possible to set the price an item that's worth 10M to 1 (of whatever the currency is).
    Do you want to give all your EXP, delevel, and start from scratch to get someone else to MAX level? I don't think so.
    Who would you do that for? maybe an alt character? but then you can't be too sure that your alt character is gonna be the one to sign-up for your UGQ first.

As I said, isn't it the same with the market? couldn't you set an item's price too high or too low?
    And as I already said to Zap, would you throw away your hard-earned EXP like that?
  8. Feliun

Feliun Cupcake

What about only offering a reward and no XP? There could be a sort of lookup system to see all generated quests on your shard/server possibly? so people could complete stuff for you when your offline and the items deposited at your house or postbox. Even could be applied to crafting, if you want something, people could full-fill the order while your offline and get rewarded for it.
  9. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

Zap and I had a very long conversation about this on the IRC, XP rewards is a no-go because it can either be exploited or requires too much work and balancing from the devs.

I like that idea, Fleiun.
  10. SiegaPlays

It could be an interesting alternative solution to having an auction house that also supports requests for items.

Earn 20g by gathering x number of heavy lumber within 20 hours. (quest objective)
    Or paying 20 g for x number of item / paying y per item up to x number (auction house line)
  11. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I think that would open the doors to pay-to-win indirectly in this case.
  12. SiegaPlays

This means you do not like the idea of having an auction house where you can want something rather than just sell it?
  13. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

No, that's not what I meant. It would be nice to find an alternative solution for extra materials from quests, but I think that putting it up on the AH and letting people buy it may ruin the aspect of gathering in questing. It may not be a problem for one quest or two, but imagine if that was done for the majority of quests... I would assume that people would buy gold from websites or send gold from main characters and fast forward through content that way.
  14. SiegaPlays

I am not sure what you mean.

So we should not have auction housing and trading at all, because people can buy gold on websites to buy items from an auction house with?

I said offering jobs/quest to aquire 20 rat hides for 20g could be an alternative to having an auctions house where you offer to pay 20g for 20 rat hides. It is actually the same, one is just set up as a quest, the other use the auction house feature to complete the "quest objective".

The auction house has the benefit of supporting partial completion though.
  15. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

You can simply have special Bind on Pickup gathering items that only get harvested when you have the quest. So purchaseable items don't count, if that is a worry for the devs.
  16. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

It's only my personal and singular opinion that being offered to pay X amount of gold to get a quest done instantly takes out a lot of fun from the game.

In the end isn't that still (pay gold - get quest materials - deliver quest instantly)?
    How I imagined what this is all about is as follows:
    1. Player picks up quest.
    2. Player is offered to pay X amount of gold from Y seller on AH for the materials required.
    3. Player buys materials and quest is complete instantly.
    That's what I understood from your earlier post, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted anything.
  17. SiegaPlays

ahh, ok, I see, Wreck is worried about people buying their way to quest completion.

It had actually nothing to do with what I posted.
  18. SiegaPlays

No, since I am talking about having it as quest as AN ALTERNATIVE to having it as auction house demands. Not about getting items from the auction house to complete a quest.

I want 20 rat hides.

In one game with player made quests I can offer a quest to someone willing, they go farm 20 rat hides I can use for my crafting, the quest updates for them upon farming, not upon getting it in their inventory, so theh CAN NOT go buy it off the auctions house, and when they come back and complete it, they get 20g.

In another game with auction houses, I offer 20g for 20 rat hides. Someone sells me 15 rat hides for 15g, another offer the rest of 5 rat hides for 5g.

Which means player made quests is an alternative to auction houses.
  19. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

That paints a very clear image now :)
  20. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

I think quest only items are non-tradeable across all MMO's, so that shouldn't really be a problem.