1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Veterans day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mykor, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

Wanted to take a couple of minutes to acknowledge the sacrifice of those past and present soldiers. I have a deep admiration for them, those who go into a war zone for the "greater good", knowing full well the danger.

War is the bloody result of diplomacy failure to resolve a conflict. This thread is to honor those who have (and still do) put their lives on the line because of politicians errors. One day a year is not nearly enough for what they have done.

Personally, my thoughts go to both my grandparents who fought during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). They rarely spoke of it, but when they opened up, you could tell the experience was still a fresh one, that the years did not atone for the pain of those friends they lost in front of them.

Share your family stories, tell us who you think of today (brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, etc)
    Smexist and Rumze like this.
  2. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

Hope every veteran out there has an AWESOME day today!

[​IMG]
  3. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Both of my grandfathers served in Winterwar and in Continuation war, and from what my father has said neither of them came back quite the same. They served at Karelian isthmus, where the situation was beyond grim. My father was a child during the air raids and bombings, so he still remembers the wars.

Going to give a little chart so you can see how grim the situation was;

Finland on the left side, Soviet Union on the right.

[​IMG]

Not many know about the winter war, shame.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Grandfather was in one the armed services (don't know which one) but was domestically stationed during WW2.

My mom served in the army. No wars technically, but she was in Germany during the Cold War. She traveled to and from Berlin too at the time. Must've been interesting.

I tried to enlist in the Marines. They denied me for dumb reasons. Still mad about it. :mad:
  6. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

If she's alive and reachable, there is no better day to ask her about her time in Berlin.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I have occasionally. She rode on a train back and forth between West Germany and Berlin. Apparently the curtains were black and draped to conceal the passengers, probably in an attempt to conceal military movement from the Soviet Union. They apparently had to follow very strict rules and had to be quiet as well. That's what I remember her telling me at least.
    Tribe likes this.