1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Viability of Path choices

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Echo, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Echo

Echo Cupcake

Hey guys, I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of the path system this game will offer and I keep thinking they are professions like in WoW or SWTOR, are the paths literally just a means to the end (game) or will the paths act as profession and have other benefits like Settlers get a discount on their houses and Explorers go a little faster on mounts ect or are professions not going to happen in this game?
  2. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

From what we know Paths are not linked to crafting. They are about play style and having a more customized leveling experience. I'm pretty sure they haven't commented on if paths have any effect on end-game content at all.
  3. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

http://www.gamerdna.com/quizzes/bartle-test-of-gamer-psychology

go there, take the test, it'll let you know which path you'd be most likely to take. achiever = scientist, explorer = explorer, killer = soldier, and socializer = settler.

they are not professions. they are your play style. if you like to kill stuff more, you'd be better going soldier as you'll get path quests to kill stuff, or defend a point. if you like to explorer more, you'd be an explorer, and you'll get path quests to explore the zone or to find the highest point in the zone, etc. we've not been shown very much about the settler or scientist, so i'm not exactly sure which types of path quests we'll be getting from those. i'm also pretty sure that they're not connected to crafting.
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I have the impression path means a lot to elder game/ max level experience.

Not only does it support the non-liniar part of levelling (though the liniar is there, for those who prefer it), where you just do what you like best by choosing the right path, but at max level it is still the rewarding playstyle you can spend a majority of time with besides the group/raid instanced content.

So instead of doing 35 dailies, you can go out and explore, dig up lore, go on a killing spree or be the sugar daddy of community buffs and conveniences - depending on your chosen path.

Instead of running x numbers of max level group dungeons as group content, you can team up with friends and strangers and experience other path objectives than your own.

Well, at least that is how I understand the path effect on game experience. Maybe I am wrong.
  5. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

They do want paths to be important in the Elder game. However they have also stressed they do NOT want it to become a case of "We need 14 scientists, 20 warriors, 5 explorers, and 1 ettler in our raid, people!" They are trying to make sure you never NEED a particular path with you, yet when you have that path it makes a difference in a less "required" way.

My guess is a lot of that will play into Housing as well. Elder game will have a ton of stuff for making your house look bigger and better, and it'll probably be things tailored to your playstyle.

Another thing I'm sure will be little extras and unlocks that do not effect gameplay per se, but do add flavor and "progression" to your Elder game experience.

We have to see what they have planned, but I do know they've talked about making sure Paths both matter in End game and mean something without being anything a min maxer will feel is required to bring along.

As for perks as you level up, we don't know too many details about Settlers and Scientists, but we do know Explorers might get temporary Jet Pack abilities and faster travel routes across zones underground, while Soldiers get to try out all kinds of different "gadgets" and "weapons."

Stuff like that will be tied to your progression as you go, though there's been no mention yet if crafting is tied to Paths in any way.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  6. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I'm super-keen on the Settler path, but what bugs me is the fact that last time we checked, we need to gather stuff before we can build all our cool community-benefiting structures and upgrades.

This is causing alarm bells in my head; I don't want to HAVE to do my daily harvesting of resources before I can do cool Settler stuff. I kinda wanna just..BAM! There's a new mount shop!

And there's also the potential for people to stop playing or leave the server you're on, then you may be an awesome Settler but you're also FOREVER ALONE. :cry: A significant chunk of Settler XP also seems tied to the frequency with which people use your stuff, so if Wildstar suffers a similar problem to GW2 in that all the low-level players have become high-level players and low-level zones are deserted, there's no point in my building a shop for temporary mounts for low-level players if everyone's got their high-level ones :p.

Sure Carbine said that there'll be NPC stuff you can do but...it's just not the same since the Settler seems build primarily around 'social activities with social rewards'.

I dunno, the Settler is the path I'm most interested in, but it's also the one I feel the most number of things can go wrong with. :p
  7. Airhammer

Airhammer Cupcake

I am really excited for the paths system. I will be playing settler for sure. My main concern is how available things will be. Theres only so many quest hubs to build up and if its supposed to be available to everyone then its going to build up fast. Are you we going to see settlers waiting around for stuff to get build up? Or will it take tons of contribution from multiple settlers?

Are we going to see tons of Soldier events everywhere? or crazy around of explorer caves? There's only so much phasing you can put into a game to keep things separate.

The path system is a fantastic idea, but its going to be very very hard to execute.
  8. Echo

Echo Cupcake

I was already planning on an making a Spellslinger and was bouncing around Explorer or Scientist, and I did get the achiever result on that test so that is plus one to the scientist category but the 'slinger on the announcement trailer was defiantly an explorer so now it's 1-1. I'll most likely be rolling as an Aurin or Human with more leaning towards the Aurin. But now i'm thinking how will these four playing styles interact with each other if at all, is it better to team up with others of the same or different paths as yours.
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

i think that they've said that if, for instance, you're a scientist and you team up with an explorer, you'll get path quests inside the explorer content that the explorer wouldn't have known about if you hadn't been there. so they're made to mix and match. i think me and the hubby and 2 friends are actually all one of each path, so we're going to be grouping to see.
    moneda likes this.
  10. Echo

Echo Cupcake

Heh, lucky you I'm lucky to get one of my friends to even consider these games
  11. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

IMO the whole X prof gives you .0546 better whatever due to exclusive access to items/upgrades was one of the worst mistakes Blizzard ever made with crafting proffessions and they made quite a few.....it just became another way of taking something that was theoretically a customization choice and turning it into the complete opposite.
  12. Cheveyo

Cheveyo New Cupcake

Think of paths like rewards for doing things people would otherwise do anyway.

There are people who will go out of their way to find out every single bit of lore in a game. They'll scour both the web and the game itself for info and geek out about it.
    There are some who will see a big mountain and try and climb it, no matter how impossible it turns out to be. Even going so far as to spend 40+ minutes trying, and failing, to make it up.
    There are those who take charge and form groups so they can go out and kill stuff. And when they're done with that, they'll do it again and again because that's what they enjoy.

The path system seems to be there to reward you for doing what you enjoy.(If what you enjoy happens to be one of those things)
  13. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

I've been really thinking about this the last few days, I've always wanted to be either explorer or soldier and now I think I'm leaning towards explorer but only for 1 reason and that's because the "quick travel" seems too good to miss.

Obviously we know little at this point but all I can think is the explorer is going to save me rediculous amount of time transversing the world while if I was soldier I'd have to run(mount) instead.

All soldier seems to get it the kill quests/hold the fort. You test weapons like it says in the official video, it doesn't say you "get new only accessible weapons via this path". I mean I'd imagine you will get weapons only available by this path system but what exactly? Just a different skinned sword? Or rocket launcher? Wow.

Explorer just "sounds" far too good to not take IMO.
  14. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

Think of it as a sub-class if you will. Or if you're an rp person, think of it as your characters hobby :3
  15. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

but they've said in another interview that they're putting in what they called "Hobbies" we're still guessing as to what could be considered "Hobbies" in the game. Fishing? Gardening? Mini-Pets? etc
  16. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

That's why i said think! for an rp heavy person, exploring could be their deal, they're an explorer...that might also happen to be a spellslinger by trade~ Was just trying to give different ways to look at it :3
  17. Joshue Monk

Joshue Monk New Cupcake

I think as a settler, the idea of 'movable' housing is the key to solving the problem. If you set up shop (Which I would assume a settler would be able to do) at a low initial area and the place turns into a ghost town, there would be nothing stopping you from moving your operation to a more populous area and sell your wares there.

I think bazaars or brokers will be key to obtain necessary materials for settlers so that harvesting will not become a necessity for them. I trust Carbine has all of this worked out before even releasing the Settler path to the rabid fandom of W*.