1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

VOIP: Mumble, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, etc

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Azer, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Azer

Azer Cupcake

I'm thinking of switching for Wildstar.

Which do you prefer and why?
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Never tried Mumble....so I can't really say anything......the rest I liked, I can see the benefits of T above Vent. But never had problems with Vent.

So tbh....I don't care which one.
  3. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I've used Ventrilo and Teamspeak a lot in the past, but nowadays I only use Skype to chat with my friends while gaming.
  4. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

Mumble has been doing pretty well lately...vent in my WoW days was the standard. I have used both and are decent enough. The lack of information to benefit is startling haha. It might depend on your area some, might check the sites to see if any of them are more prominent in certain areas. Besides that vent has always been my go to, though I haven't used it in awhile.
  5. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

Teamspeak.

It has some awesome features, icons, plugins, and much more. :)
  6. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

Raidcall is very nice.
  7. deathtotherepublic

deathtotherepublic Cupcake

We use Mumble and I really like it allot. I run the account and it is very user friendly. Great price and great customer service.
  8. WildFly

WildFly Cupcake

I've used TS, Vent, (ashamed to say I used skype ugh.. that is awful) and I tried mumble once.

In tera my guild uses raidcall and it works ok as well.

My favorite typically has been TS. I've used it since TacOps back in 2000 and it has what I need and does a good job with sound quality. Vent sound quality is not as good. Skype is just terrible. Slow to install.. slow to uninstall and then they try to sell you other stuff or shoot you annoying email.

So I would recommend RaidCall or TS. Both are quick to install easy to use, FREE, and have no bad freeware email or advertising.
  9. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I've used teamspeak, ventrillo, skype, and mumble in the past for mmo play. Here's my experience:

I had bad experiences with teamspeak, but I haven't tried it in a very long time and m experiences were probably caused by the person running the server I used.

I ran my own ventrillo server, which is very easy to set up. Almost TOO easy infact, dum dum daaaaa! Anyway, ventrillo was nice but sometimes it'll flake out.

I absolutely loved using mumble, but it's hit or miss. It seems to either work great for you or not at all. There were two dudes in my guild who constantly had connectivity or lag issues with mumble, but the rest of us never had an issue.

Skype is by far the most reliable service imo. However, you have to deal with being constantly harassed to pay them money and they offer fewer services in their free edition. Really it just seems like they deprive you of services just to get their rocks off or something.
  10. Jakurah

Jakurah New Cupcake

I've used vent, mumble, team speak and raidcall at some time or another and I prefer mumble. It takes some getting to used to for people who are used to the others but its pretty user friendly without being cluttered with too many things going on. If I had to rank them it would be 1. Mumble 2. Vent 3. TS 4. raidcall.
  11. techabyte

techabyte New Cupcake

TS for vote from me. Specially in large groups in depth permissions mobile app, depending if you allow it file host and sharing what can I say German made :p its a big change from ts2.
  12. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

What's your budget and how many people do you think you will need to connect on average? Will it only be "GUILD Members" or will you be allowing PUBLIC access? TS is feature rich (security, sub-groups as examples ) but sometimes a little more expensive because of that. VENT does the job but doesn't have a lot of the features, but with a small private group you don't need all those features. I have not tried Mumble so can't really speak for/against it.