1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

W* Legendaries and future game expansions

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gronky, Jun 1, 2013.

1. AIMonster

AIMonster New Cupcake

I wish they would bring back EQ style epic weapon quests. Quests that took months to a year (well, they varied in difficulty, but the harder ones certainly applied here) to complete and required not just massive effort on part of the player, but the entire guild requiring downing of multiple raid bosses with chances at rare drops. Relics in FFXI were similar though not quite as well thought out as EQ epic quests.

Blizzard had gotten increasingly lazy with legendary drops. They started okay with decent sized quests and effort required for Sulfuras and Thunderfury (though it was no were near what EQ was like) and then they got lazier, with the Naxx Staff epic (don't remember the name) not requiring nearly as much effort to obtain and finally just making the legendaries drop off the bosses as a rare drop (Illidan Blades). I don't know about legendaries past that point.

Wildstar catering to the 1% again brings me hope that they will put effort into making legendary weapons truly legendary again. I feel differently than the OP in that legendary weapons should be restricted to people with endgame guilds that can put in a massive effort to acquiring them only and getting a legendary weapon should be an achievement for your guild and not just the person wielding it. If you saw a person in Everquest with an epic weapon in the Kunark era you knew that not only was that person a hardcore player, but they had a hardcore group of players backing them too. That's not to say there was no individual effort required, as each epic weapon quest had a lot of solo and small group portions to it, but they also required a lot of raid content too.

2. Calahan

Calahan Cupcake-About-Town

"thx for the legendary, mates. btw, I have a new guild, bb you noobs"
    /gquit

You can have dramas anyway.

3. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

They should be upgradable. You obtain a legendary weapon. And then over time you upgrade it.

Lotro had a WONDERFUL concept.

You obtained a legendary weapon, and then over time it leveled up, and you could upgrade it. But you still eventually had to replace it. It would have been a lot better if you could have upgraded or reforged it with drops you recieved later on, rather then eventually get a 'better' legendary weapon. Of course, in that lore, 'legendary' weapons were supposed to be more important.

4. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Don't be an idiot when giving away your legendary. Make sure the person is vested and is not a complete asshat.

5. Cruxxis

Cruxxis New Cupcake

In vanilla wow there were a couple of dragons spread out around azeroth that a guild could down with 40 people. They usually dropped beginner things for Molten Core. Nothing really necessary, so they were ultimately pointless. So i decided to make them a little more relevant when i kited them to cities.

6. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

As long as you have to use the mentoring system to be put down to the level cap (so you're doing it at the same difficulty as the people who originally got them) then I don't see a problem with other people being able to get them.

But like you said - if you can solo them just because you've got more levels/gear then that is dumb.

7. Drasas

I simply prefer exclusivity. Why should everybody be able to get everything? My Black Proto Drake, Amani Warbear and my titles Hand of A'dal and Immortal are things that I use because of how proud I am that I was able to achieve them while they were current content.

8. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Those are, to me...normal world bosses. I had thought you were using the term Legendary in relation to the thread title in some way.

;)

9. Sabre070

You shouldn't get something just because you're there. If someone is better than you then they should get it, no matter when they showed up.

10. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

Not entirely true, they weren't ultimately pointless.

That blue world dragon was necessary for the legendary/epic quest to open AQ40. The green dragons they added dropped stuff that was on par with AQ (I have a dagger from one that lasted me until level..67ish I think), and the doomlord in burning steps dropped stuff that was at least as good as BWL. (I had gloves I won a week after I hit 60 that I wore until TBC came out...and they were so good for my class that I didn't replace them until I hit level 70. There were probably better ones in dungeons but I had terrible luck with that)

11. Cruxxis

Cruxxis New Cupcake

Well I'm suggesting that they do something like that. Those world bosses were pointless, i think they should put some in that drop some loot that people actually would want.

12. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I'd agree with Sniper ^

although for progression raiders who downed bosses on a regular basis, a lot of the loot from the World Bosses were more side-grades and they usually got dumped for a drop inside a raid, but ya there were a couple items that made guilds go after them, not to mention having the kill on their list being also important.

13. Cruxxis

Cruxxis New Cupcake

Ah yeah, i forgot about that. But I'm talking about gear. If my guild assembles 40 people for 1 boss then obviously that boss should be worth something. I never got any gear off of them because i had the BWL and AQ loot, which was the best in the game.

I'm just hoping they make the world bosses relevant for loot.

14. Drasas

Better? Who said anything about being better? If you're better you'll get the newer legendary from the next expansion before the other guy. You have any idea how entitled you're coming off saying that everybody should be able to get anything they want.

If I wanted gear in EQ I farmed for it or I raided for it. If I didn't get what I wanted it was tough cookies and I manned up and moved on. When I missed out on my tier 3 set because my guild wasn't good enough to clear Naxx in Vanilla I didn't go back and get it in BC because I didn't earn it. Wearing it would have made me a joke in my own eyes.

15. Calahan

There are different legendarys. Rare drops and long quest chains. For quests you have often to decide on early stage who has to take it. Many vested people can change to asshats in a few weeks or month. And if I give the rare drop the vested guy, all my asshats with more dkp will /gquit.

There is no need to bound it to a single person. If someone like to use it to faceroll a dungeon or posing with a twink, he has all my blessings. I just want a guild leader option for forcing it back in the guild bank.

16. Drasas

I simply don't agree. I think that if the person was given the legendary this person should exemplify everything the guild stands for and thus... if they decide to leave it means your guild made a bad decision. You have nobody to blame but yourselves when you give a player a legendary and they jet for a better guild.

17. Sabre070

So if they've got that new legendary?

What they're just going to sit there and wait and they can still never go back and try for the old one?

I'm not sure how it's being entitled - everyone is going to have to put in the same effort to get the same legendary. All it does is mean that if someone comes late to the game they still have the option to be able to work towards something awesome.

If the tier 3 set was only accessible at the same difficulty then you would've had to put in the same effort - it's just that WoW doesn't have the mentoring feature that Wildstar has so it makes the previous content super ezmode.

18. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

This has been my experience also, you as the GM and Officers made a bad call, so you deal with it, and in my experience there is no way any of the veteran members of a guild would accept a Leg being given to a newcomer first. I never saw this happen ever, from Van through Wrath.

Drasas likes this.
  19. Calahan

Ok, but I just like it to see such items as property for the guild, not a single character, because it was a guild achievement to get it. You cannot easily replace it, if you loose the character. And he don't need to quit, he just can decide not to play any longer by reasons nobody, even himself has foreseen (like a real life dilemma). This will be hard for the guild. And again, there is no reason to bind it to a single character.

20. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

It sounded great in concept but I found it to be a rather stale system and made any weapon that wasn't legendary absolutely pointless. I feel it should have only been a new item slot, which was the class item slot which they added. If it was just a new item slot, I would have been happy with it but having to deal with legendary items all the time became very annoying and created lots of clutter.

Don't get me wrong, I find the concept great but I did not like LotRO's execution. I'd love to see a different take on it, one that wouldn't take over a pre-existing item slot like LotRO did.

SniperCT likes this.