1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

W* Legendaries and future game expansions

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gronky, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Games change drastically, Sabre. What would have been considered impossible in Vanilla could now be done by the most terrible of players. Spells change, abilities change, classes change, balance changes, mechanics change. All these things are always in motion and what might be considered super hard at release in Wildstar could be a complete joke of an encounter years down the road even at the proper level.

Just to give you an example 300-400 DPS was solid for a level 60 in Vanilla. Currently a level 40 can do those numbers.

Apostate likes this.
  2. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

It's called "power creep", it's a real thing. Player power tends to creep up across the board, at all levels, over the duration of a game's lifespan. It's the best argument that can made for time-locking certain 1%-oriented achievements.

I'm ambivalent about legendaries, personally, because I know I'll never get any of them. I don't have that kind of dedication and I doubt I ever will. But if a game is going to put them in, I personally prefer that kind of system for them. Skilled, devoted players who've stuck with a game for a long period of time deserve some manner of distinction, imho.

Drasas likes this.
  3. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

That's about how I felt about it. Great concept, terrible execution.

4. Wolvy

Wolvy Cupcake

When I started playing EQ as a lowly halfling druid I never once thought about that legendary leafblower. When I got into a small guild with some great people I decided what the heck. The days and days I farmed <REDACTED> and waited for the named mobs to get to the point for those last couple of pieces that required raids. Then we were only a small guild that had an alliance with other guilds who I made great friends with. They all said we would be happy to help you, BUT you would have to put the raids together for them. So I toiled are put together a time and the place for both raids. I had to put all the people in groups and most of us know how fun those were back then. :p But it was an amazing thing to accomplish and I was damm proud of it. Did I ever put another raid together after that? HECK NO! lol But it was fun.

Enter Van WoW and guildless because I chose to at the time. When AQ 40 came around guilds were in line to open those gates with the mats needed. Guilds were running lottery contest to get the mats required. The one guild I had friends that played EQ was giving an all expense trip through MC for the top 5 folks who gave them the most mats. Again I farmed my arse off to get one of those spots. I eventually got one and got every piece of hunter gear that dropped. Even the coveted chest piece at the time. And here we are at major domo and that leaf dropped. All their hunters had the bow/staff so there I was a lowly hunter now having another chance at a legendary. I made pots out the arse and read the guides at the time but that still wasn't enough to prepare you for the stress and headaches. LOL :roflamo: Anyone who tried could probably say it was a royal PITA but oh boy what a thrill at the end when you got it. I truly miss those days.

I would like to see legendary gear/weapons in W*. It is something to be proud of and you can look back on with laughs and happiness. But I also believe some of it can be done by yourself and also require a guild or at least a lot of friends to help you accomplish. It should also be at least on par with end game gear, entry raid gear or maybe end raid gear, and not overly powerful. I believe they should be bound to the person and not able to be put in a guild bank for a later time.

5. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

Legendaries fit in very well with Carbine's approach to raiding. I think they should be acquired in the earlier 40 man raid tiers (first or second, assuming three or four raid tiers), and remain relevant until the next expansion. This keeps the earlier content worth doing, and gives weaker guilds a chance to get legendaries while they're still useful. I'm absolutely against them being worth using forever, and I definitely think they should remain difficult to get (perhaps impossible as someone suggested, unless you already started the quest) when new expansions come out.

I also thought that it was really cool how you got a bunch of bind-on-use fun items when you completed Shadowmourne in WoW. This is a nice way of giving at least a handful of additional players something cool for all the effort of making a legendary.

edit: Also, could we PLEASE not just do legendary weapons? Thanks. :p

6. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

I actually kinda hope there are no legendaries. That out of the way, I'm going to run with the assumption that they will for the sake of discussion. I agree that they should be hard to get, though I think the method of making them difficult should be chosen carefully. All too often the method of implementing difficulty comes from either a very low drop rate (war glaives and the like) or mass grinding for some material (everything in GW2). Difficulty should really come from difficult content, not time sinks.

As for requiring a group or not, I half agree. I think getting started towards one should absolutely require a group unless carbine ends up making solo content on par in difficulty to raids. That said, once you're started (quest item or the like from a raid) I'm not a fan of the idea of making the entire raid work towards one person's item, it tends to lead to a large amount of guild drama. As a result it seems like hard solo quests are the idea method of making it prestigious and difficult to obtain without forcing the entire group to work for something none of them will get the rewards from.

I agree about special animations and graphical touches to make them distinct, as well as with them being clearly the strongest for the time they're released. That said, I totally disagree that they should be consistently upgradable. The only thing that serves to accomplish is to remove item progression from one slot, as well as require everyone that joins the game later to go back and grind up a weapon through the entire backlog of content rather than using the weapons from the current tier. Legendaries should be sought after their current tier for their appearance or nostalgia, not for a permanent BiS item.

Absolutely, unequivocally no. Account wide achievement for getting it? Sure. Letting other characters use the skin? Maybe. But character progression should not be account wide any more than you should be allowed to skip the leveling process on subsequent characters.

Wolvy likes this.