1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Warhammer Fantasy/40k

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Isgu, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Hey everyone!
    Was wondering if there are people interested in Warhammer Fantasy/40k tabletop (or any other table top war games) fun times around here? playing/painting/collecting?
    If so go ahead and show off your armies/post tales of your battles!

I'm a bit of a mini painter so I'll kick it off with some things I did a while ago:
    (the images are a tad big so thought links would be better than cramming the post)
    http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9241/dsc0015vcv.jpg
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3103/dsc0006bt.jpg
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1838/img04131.jpg
    http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/354/dsc0089b.jpg
    http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9800/dsc0081j.jpg

Mostly Lizardmen but I have a lot of other projects going on!
    So if anyone feels like sharing I'd love to see some stuff this awesome community did!

ps. Carbine should come out with a line of minis, kk? *hint*
  2. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

I have a 40k ork army, the one that came with Assault on Black Reach. Gave my dad the Space Marine army from that set so we could fight. It's packed away right now, but when I finally have a good chunk of extra spending money I'd like to get a few more units into the fold. Probably Kommandos. Will need to remember the point total junk and all that when I do, though.
  3. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Nice :D
    Been looking at Orks for a long time, looks like a cool one to paint, but then again I just want to paint em all :D
  4. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I've always been a fan of the Warhammer universes and I played the tabletop game for a lot of years when I was younger. I'm tempted to get into it again, but not to play, just to collect and paint.
  5. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

That's what I mostly do, although it does help that my bf plays quite a bit so I have a lot to paint. :)
  6. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

Those are some well painted lizardmen :D, Haven't played WHFB in a while but when i did i played dwarfs. I mainly play 40k these days (started back in 2nd ed). How do you build your army may i ask? i normally buy a unit assemble paint it then i buy the next because other wise i get lazy and field a grey plastic mob.... and that's just asking for it from the dice gods.

This is my current army. FOR THE EMPEROR!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blue Tunic Man likes this.
  7. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks! Glad you like em :)
    The Lizardmen are my boyfriends, when I play I usually play 40k Space Wolves which I did not get around to paint yet (very much WIP).
    When building an army I would usually make a starter list 750-1k points, get what I need and start painting (I mix colors a lot and like the shades to remain the same), but since the bf does not paint I always have a ton on my painting list. So we both end up fielding a lot of gray-plastic mobs sadly, it's reeeeeealy annoying but can't do much about it :S

Btw that's a nice looking army! Is the scenery yours(made by you?) as well or? Was considering making something for home games but scrapped it as too much work for now >.>
  8. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

Nah its just a "Battle Mat" which are 6"x 4" if a remember right so you can just throw over a table and instant battle field and the hill is just a bog standard GW one but they come as grey plastic so you have to flock and paint them yourself.

If you look around the internet there are scenery sets from some WW2 type games which are the right scale and quite cheap they make for good 40k scenery once you add a few skulls :p

O and trees from railway sets cant remember what size atm but they are great as well and if you get the large ones they actually seem tree sized against the models.
  9. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

This thread is making me tempted to buy some figures again, I used to have a huge Tzeentch army and I wouldn't mind trying to re-create it with all the cool new models. It's also a bit more affordable now that I'm an adult and don't have to save up my allowance for weeks just to buy a box. ;)
  10. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

The more the merrier! :D There are some very cool Tzeentch models atm and if youre not dead set on it beeing GW stuff a lot of awesome substitute models out there that imo look even better and in a lot of cases are even more affordable. Having a ton of fun with conversions as well^^

@Narrack I'll have to look into it then, I think I already have a similar battle mat lying arround...
  11. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Since I've got absolutely nothing to spend my spare time on until Wildstar is out I've been lookin' at WH <REDACTED> a lot the past few days. I'm just so unsure of what to buy, I didn't play nearly as much 40k as I did fantasy, so I'm tempted to spend some dough on some 40k troops and see if I can still paint. Since I have no plans to play the actual game (no friends that are in to that sort of stuff anymore, and no nearby hobby shop where I currently live) I could technically just buy whatever looks cool from whatever army. Maybe some Tyranids would be a good starting point, relatively easy to paint too so that I can get used to it again.
  12. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Tyranids are very cool, Tau as well imo - esp the"suits" if you like painting armor. But the plain old Space Marines are pretty nice as well if you are into doing some conversions...
  13. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, I like Tau, used to have a small Tau army too back in the days. Ordered some Tyranids and bunch of paints etc so I'm ready to get stuck in (again!) in a few days. :)

Also, I love those red skinks of yours, really nice choice of color on 'em!
  14. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks!
    The skinks were made for a contest so I did not have a lot of time to do a better job with the highlighting, red is very difficult to highlight and not go into pink... I usually love to take my time with painting anyways :D
    I did some cold one riders that turned out much nicer, I'll see if I can make some pics and post.

Looking forward to seeing your Tyranids :D
  15. grimduck

grimduck New Cupcake

Hey nice painting on the Lizzy's. love the warhammer world, it's a pain to paint some of the ''horde'' army's i've got a 3-4k point Skaven army with only like a 100 clan rat /slaves left to paint. about also a small empire force and about 3k of space wolves. all sadly packed away at the moment due to lack of time.but if the dwarf rework hits before wildstar i might hammer on me old runeforge so to say!
    but for play style playing Skaven are in a world of there own,very fun as you seem to have more chance of blowing your self up then your target, doomwheels wildly cutting threw your flank, weapon teams going boom. fleeing vermin every where utter chaos :D
  16. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Lol, I haven't painted anything in like 8-9 years so don't expect anything even half decent. :p
  17. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Ugh, I didn't get my package today and since the post office doesn't deliver on weekends I have to wait until next week, and then I'm busy working so probably wont be able to get stuck in until next weekend. :(
  18. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

@grimduck
    Horde armies are the bane of my existence haha, if I can I paint sloooow, too big of a perfectionist to just go for tabletop quality so that take an aaaaaage and then some :D fun to play though!
    Yea, waiting to see what they do with the dwarfs as well, lot of potential there!

@Laban
    I usually don't really care about painting expertise when I look at other peoples armies, half of the time I find the pro painted looking ones shiny but not as interesting and a lot of people don't bother and just commission nowadays. But when you put in the effort to assemble/modify and paint your own army that shows effort and a level of dedication ( you have fun doing it as well!), also those color schemes are always much more interesting since it can be all sorts of funky! - those things are what I look forward to most when looking at armies :)
  19. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Good, then I don't have to feel bad about it. ^^
    Now that I have to wait a week or so until I have time to pain I went ahead and ordered some more minis, some Nid gargoyles and some scything talons to put on 'em instead of those ugly Fleshborers.
  20. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Man, I'm such an idiot. Like I said earlier, I thought I didn't get my package Friday because I didn't get any text message that my package had arrived at the local post office thingy. When I went to get the newspaper this morning I noticed the package sitting there, been there for the whole weekend! I thought the package would be bigger and wouldn't fit in the mail box so I never even bothered to check it, I'm a freakin' genius...