1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Warhammer Fantasy/40k

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Isgu, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Haha! Well owned :D But at least it's there now ^^
  2. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Ok, so I've had some time to try out some basic color schemes now, this first pic is the first on I tried.
    Bone colored carapace and talons with yellow skin and orange'y details.

[​IMG]

Wasn't too sold on it though, so I tried out one with just Fleshshade on the skin and purple carapace and talons, didn't turn out very well.

[​IMG]

Finally I tried out one similar to the first one, but with bone colored skin and orange fading into yellow on the carapace and talons. I quite like it, but I have to buy some red paint and make the fading go red>orange>yellow instead.

[​IMG]

So once I get my new paints I can get crackin' again. :p And sorry for the poor quality photos, I've only got my phone camera.
    Narrack likes this.
  3. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Nice! Think it will look really cool when you add some more red on there!
    Also don't know what you're using since I can't see the creases (tiiiiny) but my go to wash when I want nice gritty shading on armor or skin (apart from human skin) is Devlan Mud, makes the mini really *pop*. I just apply a rich coat after I put on the basic colors and then go on highlighting first with my base color afterwards - somewhat more work but worth it in the end!
  4. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, that's the wash I'm using, haven't done any highlighting on the flesh yet though.
    Right now I'm just struggling with deciding on what sort of base I should put 'em all on.
    A desert base would probably look nice, but I'm not sure yet.
  5. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

6. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Narrack likes this.
  7. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Nice, looking pretty cool :D
    Yea, those bases would go nicely as well.
  8. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Took me about half a squad until I realized that I'm sick of painting that color scheme, I think it looks decent but definitely not decent enough for me to be arsed to do that blend on every single piece of carapace and claw etc. :p Back to experimenting with colors while my painted models take a bath to strip the paint lol.
  9. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Haha :D
    Ah well welcome back to painting ^^
  10. Ergilion

Ergilion Cupcake

I've wanted to pick WH up again since the last time was in my early teen years, but haven't just got myself to it.

Also, the current GW pricing is just ridoncilous. Lately I've just read a lot from the Black Library :cool:
  11. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Do it! I just picked it up after almost a decade off and I'm loving it.
    And yeah, the prices are a bit ridiculous, almost twice as much as it used to be when I was younger.
    At least it's like ~30% cheaper if you buy from non GW stores.
  12. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Pretty much, prices went up quite recently actually but imo it's still worth it when you look at how much you get out of it. Also there are a lot of better looking knockoffs if that's an issue, but yea, in general, never buy from GW directly, there are a lot of site selling cheaper if you decide to get into it again. :)
  13. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Never got into this stuff, Those bug models remind me of Zerg though.

high quality home 3D printing IMO could revive tabletop gaming though, Considering a big entry barrier is cost.
  14. Geofiend

Geofiend New Cupcake

I have to say I'm loving the work you've all done with the painting; I got lumped with Wood Elves during school many years ago and ended up getting a few archers, the falconer and I think Oberon. I could never really get into the game and tended to enjoy painting more, though I could never quite get it to the quality both Isgu and Laban have demonstrated.

How do you manage to get all the detail and colour gradients? I gather it has to do with how you manage the basecoat (which always seemed too thick and blotted out detail when I tried), and colour layers.
  15. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

You could easily paint to my standard, I just got started again so my painting "skill" is basically from scratch. All I know is stuff I just picked up from painting guides on Youtube while I was waiting for my minis to arrive. Most of the stuff is easier than it looks, but hard to master. So you can definitely paint good looking minis with just basic knowledge.

My Tyranids for example are as easy as it gets, just one color for the skin and another for the carapace, then a wash on the skin to pick up and shade all the little details and then I did some wet blending on the carapace.

Speaking of which, after having painted my Tyranids I can see myself getting a bit tired, because there's not really any difference between the units other than size. Skin, carapace, fleshbits, that's about it.
    I'll probably pick up some Dark Eldar from now on, I was a big Dark Elf fan when I was into WH Fantasy and the new (at least to me) Dark Eldar units are absolutely gorgeous. They have so many nice looking units with a decent variation to them. Also, unlike Tyranids I don't have to be stuck using the exact same colors on every single mini.
  16. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

@filanwizard
    That's already happening, but yea as you said the big gap is the price on the printers. Still for people that want to invest the time and effort, it pays off well if they bother selling the minis on the side.

@Geofiend
    Glad you like what you see! And It's not all that hard really, just requires practice. I have no real education nor background aside from drawing and I learned everything from Youtube vids, forums with other peeps that paint and just a lot of practice. I can guarantee you the first minis you do will always look cra*, but then at least you learn something from it. While the base coat is important it's the least important part of painting minis, there's quite a lot of things that can go wrong I've learned :p The first is probably lack of patience, the Stegadon I did took a loooooooot of highlighting and washing before I got it where I wanted it to be :) But not to bore people with painting specifics, if you're interested at any point to start up with painting again feel free to throw me a pm. I'll gladly answer any question and give you some tips if you want. :)

@Laban
    Yeh, swarm armies :) That's what tends to happen if you don't HAVE to pain an army to fight with :p
    But Dark Eldar are pretty sweet, I'd love to get my hands on some of their vehicles to paint. But then again I'd love to get my hands on a lot of minis...argh xd
  17. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Loving these Dark Eldar units, so detailed and best of all, minimal amount of mold lines! That's the most boring parts of assembling minis imo, and those Tyranids were absolutely covered in mold lines to the point where I would miss a few and only notice them after priming, which is quite frustrating. But these Eldar mold lines are very few and the ones that are there are very easy to clean up. Now on to trying to paint 'em!
  18. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Got around to painting some of my Dark Eldar, it was harder than I thought, gotta keep at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Nice!
    Love how they turned out^^ keep it up :)