1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Warhammer Online shutting down.

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Azzurri, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

2. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

3. Methios

Methios Cupcake

I will say Mark Jacobs and Paul Barnett dropped the ball on this game big time.
  4. Faulted

Faulted Cupcake

I was looking forward to this game so much prior to launch, and had a lot of fun when I played. But it just took Mythic far too long to fix some pretty big issues with the game, and people (myself included) left and never came back. Sad to see it go, but everyone knew it was going to happen eventually.
  5. zekkdarklighter

zekkdarklighter Cupcake

I am with Faulted here. was a beta tester for it, was hoping so much for it to win, and could not play it after two months after launch... it just did not have the power to keep my interest, despite my love for the warhammer miniatures game. I tried going back to it recently after seeing things posted that a lot had changed, its new and improved, ect, ect. It had not changed enough to actually be called better. some things had been fixed and improved, yes, but in the end it had the same glaring issues that ruined the fun and playability of the game. could not stick with it.
  6. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

*A moment of silence in remembrance of all the lost potential*
  7. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Pilling on the bandwagon here, I was super hyped for this game (was really looking for something to bring me back into MMOs since DAoC was the last one I played seriously)

Sadly it was not to be...they did have some really really good ideas which have been adopted elsewhere though (I see you Public Quests)
  8. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I played it up until the point I had to pay to continue.

I really enjoyed it, and I liked a lot of the 'then' new ideas such as public quests and stuff.

Something just nagged at me to where I couldn't justify a subscription. Sad really. It had so much potential to be a really good game. Sorry to see it go. :(
  9. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

It was running on a skeleton team for a while now. It was to be expected seeing EA has been shutting down less populated online services.

But without resources the plethora of issues couldn't be dealt with in a timely matter or at all that and having to provide new content as well i'm not surprised by this.

Things could've been done but even then would it have been enough maybe if they reinvested heavily in it again as that other over hyped title did from that same year it might still be around.

Can only hope that future mmo developers learn to make PvP entry at the end game much more friendly to get into for newcomers and not spread that much resources on that many starter zones. etc.
  10. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

They butchered so much lore with that game so I'm sorta glad its finally dead.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

That's always the problem if they don't start with the MMO.

But mayby if WS becomes a great succes, they can make more then just an MMO :D That's easier then the other way around. (for the lore)
  12. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I loved WAR when it came out - I have some epic memories of Keep Sieges and the Public Questing system was a revolution for it's time.

Sad to see it go, but it really did suffer with lackluster PvE and population issues for the RvR combat on some servers.
    Extatica likes this.
  13. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

Aye settings with established lore are always hardest to transpose into then MMO format.
    Actually one of the things that has piqued my interest in the 40k MMO coming out is the way they are handling the payment model and the lore in a way that is actually rather interesting.

See its going to have all the non paying customers (which is 90% in most FTP MMO's) be Orkz and the paying customers buy into the other factions that have advantages (Eldar will have better guns, move faster. Space marines built as though as nails, same with the Traitors) so on the face of it you are Buying power but its balanced by the fact that there will be so few of them and also creating enmity between the Orkz and the other factions.

It will mean you'll have lore accurate battles ( i.e a Tactical squad can take on a bucket load of Orkz) but the Orkz will be able to to swamp the zone's in shear numbers by forming massive mobs like in the lore.

It could so easily go horribly wrong and end up with too few Orkz, But if they pull it off and balance the power of the Pay races vs the Number of Orkz it could be Amazing.
  14. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I haven't looked into the Warhammer 40k MMO yet....but it doesn't sound.....''great''....I hatewhat you just said.

PS will all races be playable or...? Tau? (my favorite!)

Got a link for some nice easy to read info about it?
  15. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

Eldar
    BlackTemplars
    Chaos Space Marines
    Orkz
    and Tyranids (but just as A.I set upon a side getting too dominant)

And its set up like Planetside2

Like i said it could turn out horribly and it probably will but if they don't balance like they are planning you get into a situation where Ork guns shoot as well as the Eldar or Eldar are as tough as a space marine or there are 1000000 space marines vs 2 Orkz (and if you collect 40k like me you know there are 5 marine players to every Xenos player combined) or the premium races wont be worth buying because there will be so few of you and your only as tough as the 100+ Orkz your trying to fight

So keeping the Eldar really fast but few in number and fragile, Space Marines in small groups think a handful in an area at max vs 100+ Orkz

As an Example imagine each space marine was as tough as a Max unit from PS2 (but not slow) and the orks had Choppa's and pistols and had the same HP as a PS2 heavy. A hand ful or Spacemarins could keep a small group of Orkz at bay for a while but you are still only one Person you can only see in one direction and your vulnerable to being overrun as you reload.

If you attack a MAX head on in PS2 you die in less than a second but if there is two of you one distracts him while the other uses C4 they are easy to take down... now instead of 2 there are 10 of you and still only 1 MAX
    If the "MAX" (in this case a Space Marine) doesn't work in a team really well is doesn't matter how tough he is the green tide will drown him and even with team work 100 sources of gun fire, warbugys, killa kanz and the odd Powerclaw armed Nob or Warboss who can pull apart a space marine like he is amoured in paper it wont be like the premium players will be slaughtering their way to victory with ease.

If you balance the Orkz HP and base weapon based upon their pop they will only be weaker individually if the premium player base remains tiny but if say the Ork numbers fall into line with the paid faction they Should be bought up to the same lvl of power.

I don't think there is any way to build a PVP 40k MMO any other way without skewing the race numbers horribly in favour of the Marines unless it was just Chaos Vs IMPERIUM

How ever if you build a Strictly PVE MMO you could just focuses on the IMPERIUM of man with different factions used to play different roles.
  16. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Farewell Warhammer Online! It had the best low level pvp at the time. They had several very good ideas, but the whole of the game wasn't up to par. It was sad to see their FTP offshoot game be so terrible. :(
    ---
    I hadn't heard of this newer 40k mmo. The concept sounds interesting, but in practice it also sounds very annoying. Not many people would stick with a game where they play the inferior race/class/character while only premium characters can stomp waves of combatants. I guess playing Orkz would be kind of like playing the zombies in L4D, maybe. Gladiator modes in FPS were always fun, but that cycled between most every player, and so each had a chance to be the extremely powerful character. In a system where you're locked in as the weak character.. ehh... doesn't sound like a good design.

The company behind the game looks to only work on TV & Movie specific games, so I'm probably not going to get my hopes up for that title. It will be on my radar, but.. far.. off to the side. : /
  17. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

Sad to see it go, got the collectors edition when it came out. Enjoyed my time, love the Warhammer universe. Always try to bring da WAAAGH in whatever game I can play orcs.
  18. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Had some awesome features and i loved playing the game BUT the there were staff that made me quit after the first month!
    One of them was the fact that map was tiered.So there was no connection in the maps..
    Even Lineage 2 has a proper map....

ps.When i saw its been 8 years since the launch meaning 2005 i facedesked for some reason...
    I am getting old...8 years passes so <REDACTED>ing fast
  19. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

I remember Warhammer online being fun but I ended up fighting level 19 mobs at level 13 because it was the only quest I had left..
  20. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Aww, that's sad to hear, it's probably the MMORPG I've spent the most time playing.
    I was a big fan of DAoC, but I couldn't play it too much because my family only had 56k dial-up at the time. I even thought WAR surpassed DAoC in many ways, but it could also be that I've always been a massive fan of the Warhammer universes, especially the fantasy one. It did have a lot of issues, like the class balance and the horrible server stability, but the core of the game was great and a lot of issues was resolved over the years. It's also the game where I had the most e-fame is, being the highest ranking Witch Elf in the world and the #1 ganker on the server, everyone either hated or loved me for it. RIP in Peace WAR.