1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Warrior: slow combat?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Myriad, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Myriad

Myriad New Cupcake

Hi guys,

I always enjoy playing fast paced melee classes in mmo/arpg's. Back when wow was fun I usually stuck to DW fury warrior, and even DW dk.

I'm planning on playing warrior or stalker in WS, but from watching gameplay videos of the warrior I think the pace of combat is a bit slow (as it would be with a big fat two-hander). Does anyone else share this concern?

Thanks,
    Myriad
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You talking about the PvP or PvE combat you've seen?
  3. Myriad

Myriad New Cupcake

pve
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well 3 things then:

1. It's only till level 15 that you've seen, that's kinda the levels where you learn the game. Ofcourse they are slow paced.
    2. There aren't a lot of good streamers anyway :p
    3. They don't have all abilities and AMP's yet so you'll be missing a lot of things that can make the combat even faster!

If you'd have footage of a good streamer at level 50 i'm sure the pace is much faster!
    Kataryna likes this.
  5. Jenk1ns

Jenk1ns New Cupcake

It is way too early to judge the complete combat of the warrior. I feel as Wildstar's warrior, as well as warriors in many other MMOs is a late bloomer. If you check the AMPs and the tier's of the warrior's abilities you see that the warrior will really pack a punch at higher levels, and most importantly the Elder Game.
  6. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

imo from the videos ive seem both classes dont look fast paced, they both look like they have "clunky" animations.
  7. Riddles

Riddles New Cupcake

Don't think the animation looks clunky, I think the idea is to get a sense of power behind each attack.
    I can't ever see it being as fast paced as a WoW fury warrior though. Like you said, he's using a big 2h sword in heavy armour.
    Perhaps a Stalker might be more your kinda thing? Dual Claws, mobile melee class.
  8. Myriad

Myriad New Cupcake

Exactly. The Stalker appeals to me becasue of the dw aspect of his claws. But! The Stalker relies fairly heavily on stealth to do lots of damage, both at the start of the fight as well as during the fight. And stealth slows down the pace of combat since you move slower (even if that can be solved with amps) and you're not attacking while in stealth until the right moment (so for a couple of seconds no combat at all).
  9. Topher W

Topher W New Cupcake

The warrior and stalker both have abilities that are variable speed in their deployment; for instance, both classes have a 'build up' attack move, warrior's ability has 4 stacks that can be used all at once or variably to induce the CD. Stalker has a positional charge attack, it's a kind of back stab that uses suit power and has bonus dps depending on whether you are situated in stealth or behind an opponent when it is deployed.

From this idea, it stands to reason that more of these abilities probably exist for each class among and within their trees, but these abilities require careful timing and resource management to be used effectively. So, it may appear slow but it's probably because they are carefully timing these attacks. They can definitely be spammed but they kind of lose their optimum potentiality when utilized out of an advantageous position.

That or I could be totally missing something, which is quite possible, as I may be building off of conjecture due to the our limited experience being primarily observational. Definitely, yours is an interesting question though; could also be as was stated, that the abilities are missing some support components from AMPs that expand the advantageous positions that they can be used from, thus allowing for them to be used more frequently due to their expanded utility.

What do you guys think about the defensive pacing of the tanks, mitigation abilities and dodge/ weave moves? It is also an interesting question IMO, because the faster you can use your abilities, the more you have to focus on either offense or defense. Do you think that the pacing is appropriate relative to the defense that is requisite to survive while attacking?
  10. Crystalyst

Crystalyst New Cupcake

The game speed will be slow if you are just planning on hack and slashing, waiting to build up KE, and then using harder hitting abilities.

If you are rocking CC's like a boss, you will be constantly moving, focusing on positioning, and trying not to get kited. Your reaction time to keep up will be key and especially in a group setting, you will be doing everything you can to make targets as easy of a kill as possible for your team. Using T4 WW definitely ups the pace of the game. You should give that a try. Gives you a lot more mobility and speed and helps you get in and out of those sticky situations while still doing damage.
  11. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I like the feel of both the classes, but in terms of combat speed I think the stalker gives illusion of being quicker, for instance when you use an ability with the warrior he/she will typically swing their tech blade once. However, the stalker will often slash with their claws multiple times per use of an ability. This made me feel like my stalker was all over the place like a ninja, while my warrior felt slower but more powerful.
  12. Startasia

Startasia New Cupcake

I loved playing the warrior. (and i am not someone that likes playing them) As fast as warriors go, I think that they are like most warrior classes when it comes to speed of combat. However, with the moves that you get in wildstar makes the warrior fun and makes you feel like a bad ass (even at low levels).
  13. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Just from a general feel of the combat and in a very general overview from trying out different classes, I'd rate "combat mobility/speed" as:

Medic > Stalker > Spellslinger > Warrior > Engineer > Esper

SS have stationary casts too, Engineer's escape is slow and inefficient when compared with others. Esper is quite limited by their stationary spammer (the alternative is lower damage and slower resource regen, so many will have to go stationary). Medic and Stalker goes to the top because of mobile casts, as well as 2-3 very efficient escapes along with tons of control/snare. Enemy not moving = you're moving faster, so to speak. And this is why I rate Warrior above Engineer, there's more distance/movement control at the Warrior's disposal, whereas longer range (while helpful) sometimes don't help the Engineer much.

And I mean, that mostly make sense. If the warrior feels more mobile than the stalker or spellslinger, we've got a problem. They kinda need their mobility to survive, being medium/light armor and all. But the Warrior also won't be the "slowest" class out there though if that's your worry, the heavy armored ranged tanker and the ranged caster that nukes with some of the biggest numbers are always going to be slower than you by default of the design...