1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Weapon and Armor Aesthetics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Guide, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

If there is anything I am diehard towards in any MMO, it would be looking awesome! It's been said there is a dye system that allows you to recolor patterns, which was pretty much a day one purchase for a Protostar Omni-Dye Box Spectacular Series One!

But getting down to the designs...well...what we have seen so far is pretty darn detailed to insane lengths, which makes me cry with elation. Imagine Exotic armors and weapons.... WTB Eldan Tech Suit.

Glows. Freaking glows! Walk into pitch dark dungeon...YOU SEE ONLY ALL GLOWS.

Glowy tech lines.
    Glowy crystals.
    Glowy visors.

Rare weapons that grant unique shots, animations, and sounds? Yes please? Why should we have to ask for this?!

So we have cosmetic slots? Question is, with them, will you only be able to equip costumes to overlap equips appearance? What if we like the look of an equip but don't like the stats? It would be nice to be able to put anything that can change visual appearance into a costume tab. MY ONLY CONCERN.

So I was reading a Massively article and saw this image:

[​IMG]

See that suit with the glowy green inlines? I am here to inform you that it is awesome. Imagine a team of Dominion soldiers clad in that armor, except the inlines are red. Your base no longer belongs to you.

2. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

that would be great. To me its like you are describing some of the legendary weapons in GW2. you can search youtube for videos of the effects on the legendary great swords - twilight, sunrise or eternity. The legendary hammer juggernaught etc..

they have animations when you swing it like a wave of color trailing behind the movements of the great swords and pools of color left behind in your footsteps when you walk or run and a lot of other effects.
    the legendary shield has a book on it. The entire shield glows a bit and the books pages turn.

It would be great if you have that in wildstar as well, but without it being a grind to get like the gw2 legendaries. dye systems are great as well. I love trying to make my character unique from level 1 and not look exactly the same as all the other people in the starting area or in later levels everyone hanging around the main city.

if you like the looks ok the equipment but not the stats you could transmog the 2. choose the looks of A and the stats of B

Tiktak likes this.
  3. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

What Oblivious said.

Although for Legendary items (-THE- best gear available like ever) there should be a grind, and they should look so cool you -leap- into the grind with both feet, because that stuff looks freaking cool!

ObliviousPrime likes this.
  4. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

very true I guess legendary items should be a grind (honestly I don't think I'll get one ) but it would be cool if the lesser level items had some kind of effects and look great as well.

a variety in the legendaries would be great. we saw in GW2 not all of the things out now are appealing to everyone's taste. Example the legendary mace looks like a disco ball on a stick, some like it some don't . I would like it more if I can activate some disco music on command with the weapon :p

Maddog Charlie likes this.
  5. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

Dyes? This is sci-fi! We should have instant access to all colours, visible spectrum or not!

6. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Huh? Suit? Inlines? I only see that ass. :D

On a more serious note, awesome idea! Customization can't be in the game enough and adding glows on armor and weapons would be realy cool if they combine that with dark caves, unlit battlefields, etc..
    PvP wise could this be interesting too, but you should be able to turn the glow off. Imagine a rogue type class sneaking up on you in the dark and suddenly (s)he turns on all glows, scaring the <REDACTED> out of you ... Yeah, give me this!

About legendaries, they should be very very hard or almost impossible to get. The word legendary for me means swords like Excalibur, Sword of Gryffindor or Frostmourne. They almost must be a myth. Very hard to find (not some freaking drop of a mob) and once found, almost impossible to get.
    Combine this with the Path system. Explorers have to find it first. Scan every pixel for hidden caves, let Scientists look for clues inside lore elements, let Settlers build equipment to reach that ledge over the cravess and give the Combat path some (im)possible guardian to kill.

7. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

Edit: I only just read about "visual display overwriting" so my post may be meaningless...
    Very nice topic.

Again, I would like to give an example from real experience, so if you would please bear with me.
    Recently I have played a single player action RPG game, as I played, I wanted to get a certain piece of gear, and ofcourse, I didn't have much of a choice because the loot was randomly generated and there was no specific monster that I needed to kill in order to get it. I hadn't been paying attention, but as I advanced I found out, that looks were locked to levels, and that I completely missed my chance to get that piece that I wanted. but what bothered me even more is that I noticed that early level gear looked way cooler than end-game gear, my assumption was that after the dev team were trying their best on the early levels, but on the later levels they got bored/were out of ideas and wanted to release the game, and I never got that piece of armor!

The point I'm trying to make is, some people may like how their current level armor looks, while some won't, heck some people may want to spend the entire game with the original armor they created the character with, and it's not up to me, or anybody to decide for everyone what looks cool and one doesn't (diversity), so I am completely with having a way to transfer stats from one piece of gear to the other.

Hope I made my point clear.

8. Manes

Manes Cupcake-About-Town

On the point of armor and weapon designs. I think Exile armor and weapons should be a little more rugged...Sorta western outlaw look of it. ((Judging by some of the designs I've seen, they're aiming for that concept pretty hard.))

While Dominion should be a more tech friendly/sleek attire with plenty of circuits and advanced machinery attached onto every joint locations for added unnatural power. Dominion weapons would be sleek and compact, but can cause massive damage...Like the Cricket from MIB.

For hues and colors. Perhaps crystal slots to socket in each piece of armor so you can customize your look further? Could be a market for it.

9. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

The idea of being able to dye your armor is awesome. I thought guildwars did a pretty good job implementing that type of customization. In my perfect mmo I'd like to have customization and looking cool to cost something. This helps drive the economy and could encourage crafting (please please). TL: DR at the bottom if you want to skip all this.

This is how I'd like to see a customization system work.
    1. Dyes are consumable, you can use one dye to customize your whole outfit but once you are finished soaking your armor in the dye, the bucket goes down the drain. You shouldn't be able to use it over and over again.
    2. Dyes patterns (or the materials to make them) are rare for certain colors. Now you could make cheap dyes but those should be vomit yellow and poop brown. White/Black/Blood Red/Hot Pink/Dark Blue should be rare so that you know by the color of someone's armor that they play a lot (farm for money).
    3. The color of armor should fade after a certain amount of time. I think a lot of the consumables in video games should expire after a certain amount of time. Like after you have had your character logged in for 100 hours you should have to redye your armor or it will go back to what ever color it was before.
    4. Special technology exists where certain piece of armor have a set number of custom colors that can be changed due to thousands of tiny plasma screens on the suit. These ones you don't need to dye to change the color. These are extremely rare.
    5. Special consumables that last a short amount of time make your armor glow/sparkle/shoot lazers/release smoke/give birth to butterflies made out of cotton candy/etc. I think these would be cool if they lasted for a 1-4 hours (depending on the crafter's skill) but look super awesome during raid time or when you're hanging out in town barking your wears.
    6. I don't think everyone should look exactly the way they want all the time. The casual player that never quite makes it out of their leveling gear shouldn't look as cool as someone who plays the game more (crafts or raids or pvps or quests or what ever else rewards players for playing) Otherwise the world is boring and there's no one to run around and inspect because they look like such an amazingly bad-ass. I wouldn't want people to check out my character and say (wow they look awesome they must have so many epics) just to inspect me and find that I'm wearing gear from level 15.

So many games now lack really good crafting systems. I think there should be reasons to continue to craft and not just do it because you get a +5 bonus to damage for getting that max profession.

As for Legendarys they should be super hard to get. Like I only want to see 3-4 on my server MAX. I want it to be time consuming to do and require a whole guild helping you to get it. Remember when you used to have to grind out all the professions in SWG to unlock your force sensitive stuff? Yea I want it to be that hard to get.

Sorry my posts get a bit long but I love talking about gaming lol

TL: DR
    Customization is great the more the better (at a price)
    Customization should be tied to crafting
    Crafting should be important in the game
    There should only be a few legendarys per server

10. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

It took a while to get but the Sunrise shown in the video below is my favorite weapon in any MMO so far. :)

11. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

That looks so awesome! GW2 is such a pretty game. I hope WS will incorporate some fun graphic effects for their legendary.

12. Duckdee

If we do have "dyes," and I'm warming to the idea, they should be applied by a sci-fi spraying machine. ;)

13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

We have dyes, they are confirmed. :)

14. Duckdee

As long as they're sci-fi. :p

15. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

If I might add to Black Wolf's comment, by saying that you'll be able to use three different colors per item.

16. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

If I might add to B.wolf and Shady comment " Ain't that awesome!????" no interrogation needed.

17. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Well I don't think it matters to me how the dye system works. Knowing ME, I will buy everything dye. Although I would prefer unlimited application in case I get bored with a color.

18. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

They should make us dye only once (at least for some dyes like regular ones) and that way people can apply them when they wish. I hope they do cause having to go buy your dyes every time might sound nice for the "realism of the game" kind of argument but really it's a sci-fi game so forget about that one ^^. Maybe a dye system that works like the glyph system in wow you buy one time and off you are. they should put some that are "regulars" other more hard to find maybe I dunno.

19. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Well Im gonna weigh in as a crafter here and say YAY to dyes or the ability to color AND recolor anything in game. yeh cause you get the neon pink brigade but what looks nice to you may not to someone else. So the way of the past has been to mute down certain dyes.
    Anything IMO should be recolorable at a price, maybe a crafters etching process, followed by priming and finally dye. That way EVERYONE can get the look they want, But you dont want bright neon pink brigade standing in your screenshot ??? Tough Turnips I say, this is a virtual world, what ? you gonna bring in regs to control how I speak now ? I dont think so Pard'ner ! If a virtual world is entertainment for everyone then it HAS to allow a diversity of choice, otherwise youre just living in someone elses painting ! So someone didnt get the colors right ? well thats just life and hopefully a good friend will tell them. I say recolor anything at a cost and service provided by your local friendly trader :)
    Cause we all know the Doomies are gonna have everything in Gloss Black anyways LOL LOL LOL
    Nexus is our world right ? were not going to be at the mercy of some darned SoCal short wearing, coffee drinking, 'yeah whatever man' game artist !

Guide likes this.
  20. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I'm pretty sure dyes will be one use only, sorry Guide :( They will most likely crafted though so thats no biggie