1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What about the smaller PVE guilds?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by michii88, Apr 3, 2013.

1. michii88

michii88 Cupcake

While I'm happy to see such huge raids being placed in the game, I am yet unnerved by Carbine not having smaller raids. I am a person that tends to join small guilds/communities in MMOs. Just like more tight-knit guilds where everyone knows everyone. The instances where I have been part of a bigger roster, it seems more of a distant group with litters of core groups of players/friends. I also like endgame raiding in MMO's, which I usually am happy with a lower number cap of players in different raids. I really wish they had a 10-man raid. I don't want to be forced to join a big guild in order to raid at endgame. Some may say "You don't have to join, you can pug a group." Let's be honest most guilds are never keen on the idea. So that's not a sturdy option. Do any of you have any suggestions?
    Mudfin likes this.
  2. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

Do joint raids with other guilds/pubs.

Players are all human beings capable of thinking and playing the game.

They're fully capable of learning boss encounters and getting on a VoIP to communicate with each other.

You don't need to all be in the same guild to successfully raid together.
    Itharius likes this.
  3. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

4. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Aww, so sweet and naive. :)
  5. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

I feel they are really separating the raid content out to be 'epic' and 'big'. The introduction of 10-man raiding to WoW really hurt the content, at least from my perspective. I'd actually have rather seen Blizz just switch to all 10s, so it could be tweaked to that, not both... at least they could have gone to 10s and 20s, so you didn't have 5 extra people when you split down! In Wildstar, it absolutely will force 10-man guilds who want to come here to either expand or build alliances. I did that in Vanilla WoW and it worked out great.

To me, despite how it seems with so many different types of content offered (elder game for raiders, soloers and PvPers), Carbine is actually not catering to all play styles. Imo, that is a good thing.. trying to satisfy everyone is how so many games end up mediocre at everything and great at nothing.
  6. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

What I would like to see them do is actually separate raids from guilds so you join a raid team similar to a Arena Team or War Party. This means you can still keep the small feeling of a guild and be plugged into a larger group for raiding.
    I would also suggest that possibly Adventures may fit the type of game play that you are looking for. As we don not have much information on them it is hard to say at this stage...
  7. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

As I have said in other threads, I was part of a successful 40-man raid group back in vanilla WoW made up of various small guilds and even solo, unguilded players. We got to Naxx, and towards the end of Vanilla's run we even started up a second sister group for those who couldn't join the original and some of our alts.

If you want it bad enough, it's quite easy to do and make happen. Players will find a way.
    Veckna, Yushi, Guide and 3 others like this.
  8. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

Thats a great point and I feel if players really want to raid then they will try this path, it is completely viable.
    Malisent and Patrician like this.
  9. Nekofest

This is naive and idealistic. It's impossible for people to be good at the game if they're not in any of the top guilds. The tags of these guilds hold mystical powers that magically make people able to complete content.
    Mudfin and MeakGG like this.
  10. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Well success does breed success. If you want to get better, play with better players.
    Malisent likes this.
  11. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Small entities will be absorbed by larger entities or individuals will leave to join said larger entities.
    Malisent likes this.
  12. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

i feel that this is what the Circles are partly for. make your 10-15 person "Circle" and then join a raid 'guild' or make an alliance with other people that are only in Circles to form your own Raid Group Guild. they've also made a few comments in a couple interviews from PAX that they have 10man dungeons (not raids, but dungeons) (don't know if it was just a slip or not, but it's been mentioned)
    Malisent likes this.
  13. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

This is rather true, and I think a lot of the suggested camaraderie is being fueled by idealistic nostalgia of "the good old days".
    Malisent likes this.
  14. Nekofest

More like everyone is going to have to start somewhere and those "somewheres" are most likely to be small groups of friends instead of massive communities / guilds migrating to a new game.
    Malisent likes this.
  15. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Pappy mentioned in one of the PAX video interviews that there are 10-man dungeons as well (not raids.) Now, a show-floor interview may not be gospel, but there's a chance that would be good for smaller guilds.
    Patrician likes this.
  16. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

While I don't like being just a number in the crowd (large guilds) I would completely agree with their decision. Larger scale content really opens up the game for more challenging obstacles.

And yes....usually those tags hold mystical powers that make you better since there's usually an "interview process" involved rather than a simple "/invite everyoneIsee" like most guilds.
  17. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

Hey Michii,
    This is one of my favorite topics to talk about! A few **quick** points....

1) The creation of "RAIDS" in EQ was primarily focused on MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER involvement. Times change, games evolve, take new forms, introduce new ideas. It has been stated that this MMO in particular, is adapting that original, old school, once forgotten and never expected to be seen again (in western gaming) idea of challenging, massive raids.

2) Your previous large guild experience (if that's even what you were speaking of) isn't entirely at the mercy of the unknown. You could choose to be more social, get involved in one of the groups, or even try to join a newly formed guild where everybody is a stranger! It's up to you! I'll say that the past 8 years, Ive enjoyed joining completely random guilds, proving myself through skill, and climbing their leadership ladder while meeting new people, than playing with my 9 best friends IRL. I like the new social aspect of it. It'd be worth exploring at least ya know?

3) Although it'd be fantastic if even 50% of the player base was on top of current progress in this game, Carbine is speaking in such a way that I feel the numbers will be lower than what you might be used to in WotLK - MoP WoW. When Blizzardvision was born, the casual CoD business model came out. It's pretty upsetting that millions of players will never get to experience, see, or feel what epic 40 man raiding could be (to some people... i know my opinion is not fact guys! come on!). Give it a shot, be social (if you want), or make friends here. I'll play with you, and I'm really cool, the funniest person on the forums, have a hot japanese girlfriend, 6 pack abs, am best friends with Justin Timberlake IRL, and incredibly talented at chinese checkers, gingerbread houses, and doing hand stands. BFFS?

4) 20 mans could technically be puggable, being that this game (opposite WoW) trains you from level 1 how to spot, dodge, and manipulate telegraphs. 40 mans, current content, will not be puggable....i hope
    Yakzan likes this.
  18. Yushi

Yushi Cupcake

This, this , 100x this. Best quote from this topic. Setting up groups (50+) is not hard in an MMO. But if you stand there and expect everything coming together without any effort it's not going to work out.
    Yakzan likes this.
  19. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

Like the first reply said, you could do joint raids ith other guilds.

You could also have a raid Circle, since guilds aren't the only way to organize socially in Wildstar, which is completely new to MMOs.
  20. Itharius

Itharius Cupcake

This. I quit WoW because of how Blizzard dumbed down the raiding content. I want a return to guild alliances, epic PvE battles, and server first kills.