1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What are your thoughts on "sidekicking"?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Pixie, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Since there will be elder game content in all zones from what Carbine is saying, I think, we can assume dynamic zone downscaling is not going to happen.

I do hope mentoring will happen though, even though we have not heard anything about such a feature so far. Mentoring - downscaling to friends level in EQ2, which have been around since 2007 or so - is great. Yes, the balance of how powerful a mentoring character is, that is very unbalance in EQ2, but it is an awesome alternative to making another alt (I ran out of char slots a while ago in WoW, and it sucks, when I am not inclined to deleted my existing higher level characters).

In older games, where most zones are levelling content with no reason for higher levels to return, I could see it as an afterthought to make all the old zones interesting to return to on a main character - if the scaling was balanced and the reward fitted the right level for the character.

On pvp servers it could level the playing field.

To me it comes down to proper balancing, both of the power you have, when you are scaled down, and to the rewards you get. Someone scaling down could be at max power for that level in top gear for that level - still more powerful than what one would usual have had going through content while levelling, but not so powerful that the character obsolete any group members participation, and in open pvp some public lowbie teamwork in the zone can turn around a gank fest (community building), which would usually have required whining to higher levels in the guild.

As reward, I could see a low random chance of gaining some sort of token currency or vanity/appearance items, when mentoring down and in group with lower levels.
    Brightag likes this.
  2. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

The GW2 version started to annoy me after awhile. Particularly because I felt like my level 20 should be able to steamroll a group of level 4 mobs, not get down leveled to level 6 and beaten to death. That being said, if you group with a lower level in a lower level area, auto-downleveling (yeah I know that's not a word) would not be so bad.

In the same manner, up-leveling to allow a lower level to group with friends would be fine...if they make it so the experience equates to level and not a massive power level to the lower level character ala how it worked in CoX for a long time.
  3. Saza

Saza Cupcake

Hello all, I'm new here but just wanted to jump into this discussion.

I'm clipping this quote simply to save space, but yes to everything you said.

I simply love the downleveling in GW2. I play with my fiance and often our play time will not perfectly match up but we want to still be able to play together. Both of us have trouble wanting to play any kind of alt for a long time after starting a game so when we can't play together we don't really ever want to switch characters. GW2's system worked perfectly for us.

I really enjoyed the feeling of going back to lower level content and having it seem so easy because I was better at the game and my character was more powerful though not in a raw stat way. I made it to Orr and max level before my fiance, and when I joined him while he was leveling he still got to participate in fights. However where I had died before I now had a utility skill much better for the fight or a trait set up that allowed new things like three dodges in a row instead of two. I had also faced Orr, a place filled to the brim with angry mobs that loved to stun and fear, so these slow attacks very spaced out suddenly seemed like a breeze. My character always felt more powerful going back to a lower area and I never missed my actual levels.

We still spend most of our play time in the lower zones finding puzzles, doing jumping puzzles, and just looking for events we missed before. I love the feeling that the entire game world still offers my character a challenge and a reminder of how much I've grown as a player. I personally prefer this to it offering me the ability to one shot things I used to have to fight unless I am in the (usually fewer) high level zones.

I do hope that whatever happens in Wildstar can find a way to offer both kinds of fun in lower level zones to max level characters while still making sure people at the actual level of the zone can enjoy their time too. I always am happy with being given more choices.
    Izukar, Mudfin and Kurik Lein like this.
  4. Brightag

Brightag Cupcake

I would have to agree, with some elder content in lower level zones, zone based auto downscaling can't happen. Which means that, if we did get a mentoring system, players could have full control over when and how low they down level. In some areas it's better to give a choice, not force a choice.

Not sure if you were thinking the same thing, but I'll add to your comment on PvP servers. If mentoring was allowed, the system should show a player as simply level 15, for example, and prohibit the opposing faction from knowing if they down leveled. It would be awesome if a level 50 tried to gank a group of level 15s only to find out the hard way that 2 of the DPS were mentored level 50s.

The token currency sounds like a good incentive tool as well. A new MMO needs to engage the player so that they become invested in the game. Some people will quit a new MMO before they even hit level 20. Creating a system that allows your veteran players to get involved with new players can help them to stick around beyond the first 30 days. After all, players are content.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  5. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

I think downleveling is like in GW2 is awesome I'm still slightly higher level than the mobs, I still have access to abilities and customizations of my level and each zone continues to be relevant to me beyond leveling alts. It's presence in a two faction game with PvP servers is a built in way of eliminating the annoying high level player griefing that apparently could never be dealt with....honestly the only reason I can see for not wanting it is squashing ants syndrome....woohoo I can one shot things because they are 50 lvls lower than me...
    SiegaPlays likes this.