1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

what can Wildstar learn from Guild Wars 2?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by salluks, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Evolva

Evolva Cupcake

I played Guild Wars 2 for two weeks and then completely abandoned it to never play it again. I hated the game. It was boring, the WvWvW pvp was really bad and that game must have the worse dungeons i have ever seen in an mmo.

But two weeks is still in the hype train schedule so everyone was saying how great the game was. Now, after reading a lot of people complaints i'm just glad i decided to stop playing when i did. I wasted money on the box but at least i didn't waste any more time of my life playing a bad product.

There is nothing in GW2 that i would like to see in Wildstar (except for the mmo basics that every mmo has of course).

Afrotech and Iamaom like this.
  2. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

agree.

about GvG - its cool how players are making GvG as possible as it could be in the game. IE in the southernmost area of the Borderland map (near the windmill) this area is knows among the regulars as a GvG and dueling area.

so people from the 3 servers stand and spectate and fight honorably over there.

Also in the new custom spvp arenas I have used to privately duel and plans for practice GvG. So we are ignoring the map objectives to do our own thing.

They have leaderboards and rankings now.

I like Spvp sadly I don't have the time to devote to it since I would rather WvW. or level an alt.

maybe if I can level in Spvp I might level my alts there and play there more.

What I would like to see in Wildstar from GW2 -

Guesting - Would love it if unlike Gw2 there it is cross region as well. In this day an age with the internet we do have friends from all parts of the world.

also currently the achievement tracking UI is cool and you can have gold/ magic find/ exp boots tied to your account . I do not like sacrificing damage or survivability stats to eqip these boots in armor or food buffs.

Plus you will not run into the problem or going into a dungeon with a guy who has magic find gear basically doing minimal damage and is super squishy.

3. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

GW2 was a fun leveling game, nothing more, the end game PVE sucked, so did the endgame PvP

Aldamar likes this.
  4. Warslyfe

Warslyfe Cupcake

The biggest thing they can take from GW2 is to know your limits and then plan around them. ANet knew that due to performance AoE would be limited to 5 people, which is fine by itself. When you then do nothing else to promote non-zerg play due to the fact that AoE can't break up zerg then you end up with the uninspiring blob tactics that eventually destroyed my motivation to play.

I will give Anet props for communciation though. Hope wildstar at least gives us that level of interaction.

5. salluks

salluks New Cupcake

the leaderboards and rankings are horrendous to say the least.
    this is thier leaderboards https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/

in WvW , they update rankings once per week, compared to the MOS site which gives minute by minute update.

in sPVP- they have top 1000 players, u cant even search for players there.

looks like half hearted attempt to just put there cos the community was raging over it.

and there are zero statistics about the game!

6. ObliviousPrime

I agree with you thier implementation is not that great. Would have liked something like the PS2 leader boards and character sheets

Exactly the MOS site was always more superior and now with the API it destroys whatever Anet make. Also with the API others have been making great tools for WvW like the camp buff tracker ( and that PVE thing that tells you on which servers the orr temples are open)

Since Wildstar from the beginning are supporting Add-ons I am hoping for amazing things from the community.

Just slightly worried that people will make add-ons that give them advantages in PVP. I don't like that or macros honestly.

7. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

This is it perfectly for me. The actual combat of sPvP and WvW was great. The scoring in WvW was not.

Other lessons for me include:
    -just say no to guesting
    -say no to FREE server transfers
    -don't have an elder PvE game that is pointless after obtaining certain gear.
    -that multiple weapons per class are okay.

Calsic likes this.
  8. John

John "That" Cupcake

GW2 biggest problem was that everything was a big, chaotic zergfest. Combat felt so boring to me...everyone just running around hitting things with no thought or purpose.

Their two worst choices:

-heavy marketing around the idea of "dynamic world content", which turned out to be the aforementioned dull, mindless zergfests.

-the removal of the trinity; resulted in the need to simplify mechanics and further encourage zergfests.

GW2 is a game decidedly aimed at the ultra-casual crowd, they went out of their way to discourage or remove the traditional 'hardcore' MMO elements from the game (raids, min/maxing, meaningful buff system, linear progression). To me this led to a overly simple product that just lacks the depth to remain engaging for very long.

WS is completely different in that it embraces the hardcore side of the game and it uses the trinity, which hopefully means they can use more interesting mechanics that will keep things engaging.

Evolva likes this.
  9. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I think its funny people are just staring to come out of the wood work with "what guildwars 2 did wrong"
    The game was in beta for months. All these systems that are being said to be broken were public knowledge.

The problem is, People testing are bias. They hack tooth and nail for a beta key then when they finally get in they don't look at things objectively.

RedSam777 likes this.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

This is why I'd make a great beta tester. XD

On that note, I think Wildstar already knows to actually have a competitive, challenging endgame unlike GW2. That's the biggest thing to avoid IMO in GW2.

11. ObliviousPrime

That is why roaming is fun and small group guild warfare (max 15-20 players).
    In zergs its just massive lag and spamming the 1 button. :/

I mean actual small group tactics not that video that dev put out about WvW which was basically him zerging and PVEing in WvW. At least that video made us WvW regs laugh.

12. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

I love Guild Wars 2. Of course I am a super casual player. In fact the hardcore players leaving can only make my experience more enjoyable. The last few times I played, I was enjoying the PVE. Then I run upon a super fun world boss I had beaten a few months back. Only this time the l33t players were camping it and ruined the immersion of the adventure I was on. I mean I'm sure they blame Arenanet for not giving them more end game...but hell...find something else to do...maybe read a book or learn a new real life skill?

(this is the opinion of a MMO fan that once played 10 hours a day, everyday... then he grew up and got a family/busy life.)

So I guess what can Wildstar Learn from GW2? I guess giving them Ultra players stuff to do so they don't bother me during the 1 or 2 hours I have to play.

Witless and RedSam777 like this.
  13. Eternalfootman

Eternalfootman Cupcake-About-Town

I actually really enjoyed sPvP in guild wars 2 until people started finding those cookie-cutter builds. Eventually several of the builds I liked to switch in between were obsolete. As for WvW it was too much of a zergfest and I suppose each toons individual actions seemed to have little to no impact, which wasn't a good way to go in my opinion.

14. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

orange bars are not better than numbers.
    zergs are bad.

15. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

Don't get rid of the so-called "holy trinity" and thus leave all content to be a random, chaotic zergfest.

Lesson already learned.

Neurotic Cucpake and Haoli like this.
  16. Ikai

Ikai New Cupcake

Someone said GW2 PvE was a sucess? in which universe? because in this planet GW2 had(have) no endgame pve content and their dungeons are among the TOP 5 worst dungeons of all time.
    also, no form of open world pvp and the world not filling whole (to many portals changing zones/maps) is really bad design.

Evolva likes this.
  17. RedSam777

RedSam777 New Cupcake

As the GW2 fanboy I am, I feel the need to defend the game, but I'm not going to, because I respect everybody's opinion, most of them might be misguided in my opinion, and many of them come from people who left the game after only playing it for a week or so, so you have to take everything people say with a grain of salt. I can tell that most people are hardcore players who need to raid and grind stuff to have that level of satisfaction, that level of accomplishment some of us get from completing the personal story quests, or by running a dungeon every now and then, or by completing the living story part of them game. What I think WS can learn from GW2 is that, you can have a gathering node that everyone can have access to, not just in the "first come first served" basis. Also, that being able to swap between weapons can be really fun so that you're not stuck with the same 5 kills, unless you go and retrain them or respect them, etc. That traveling through waypoints can be effective, efficient and fast, but if you're a more traditional player and prefer to use mounts, or just run from point A to point B, that can be okay too, it's nice to have options, variety is the spice of life they say. I am REALLY looking forward to playing WS, I love everything about it so far, and I do honestly think this game will blow other MMO's out of the water, the devs are awesome are listening to the community, I just hope they understand that you can't never please everybody. See you on Nexus y'all!

18. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

To be fair, they were still rare drops. I participated and didn't get a Precursor either. The real issue there is that they don't drop enough precursors in general, I have no problem with the fact that the Karka event included them.

Funny, from a PvE player's perspective seems like they spend way too much time fiddling with WvW and sPvP.

19. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

That IS one thing GW2 did real well; they made gathering nodes non-competitive. I'd love to see a system like that in WS.

20. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Or, the people who played beta loved the beta, and still love the live game, and just like different things than the people that throw ##### fits.

In this world, by any measurable value. It's profitable and well populated. It's not for everybody, but it's for plenty of people.

BlueDragon18 and Rumze like this.