1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What do the Draken think of Spellslingers?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Optimisticnerd, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

So it's clear the the Draken love hunting and killing. This much is clear. They also seem to value strength and skill... But my question is, how do Draken feel about spellslingers? I mean, Draken can in fact play that class. I would have thought it would have been too sissy for them. Is it just the thrill of the hunt that they like, and killing without using their hands is still considered strength, or what? This confuses me a little bit.
  2. Minjin

Minjin New Cupcake

I think they see them as blood of their blood. It has been said the Draken are not savages, but they honestly feel they want nothing more then to test themselves against every living, and unliving, thing in the known verses. Not because they hate these things, but because they want to know they can do it. I would not seem them looking down on Spellslingers, but infact seeing them using whatever skills they can to keep in the hunt.

I honestly think it stems from their loss at the hands of the Emperor. I think they test themselves til they know they have a Draken strong enough to face him and defeat him. Just my thoughts on it.
  3. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

They like to kill/hunt worthy opponents/prey so i don't think the weapon choice really matters to them. That's my opinion anyway haha.
  4. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

The Spellslinger class description seems to fit quite well with the Draken:

"Spellslingers are deadly and dangerous pistoleers, often found beyond the Fringe working as bounty hunters, bodyguards, and guns-for-hire.
    Spellslingers fight with a unique style that's a lethal combination of magic, reflexes and instinct - making them some of the most feared combatants in the galaxy."

It's still a physical strength/dexterity/skill as opposed to a more mental strength of Espers so seems to suit them in my view.
    You have the close up brute force warriors, stalkers for more agile/innovative melee and spellslingers for those with an aptitude for agile/instinctive ranged combat.

That's how I'd justify it anyway.
    Rylia likes this.
  5. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

That's an interesting way to look at it; like they have a kind of racial complex as a result of having had their best beaten in single combat and they feel an especially strong need to kill bigger and tougher enemies to prove that the Draken are still strong.

Regarding spellslingers, that seems perfectly in-line with the Draken. They're hunters and some hunters just prefer using guns :p. In the universe of Wildstar, even being armed with a gun doesn't really make hunting easy mode. :p Also, it's interesting to note that despite the use of some magic, 'Magic' isn't one of the Spellslinger's primary stats. I guess that the use of sigils gives spellslingers more of a flavour of 'low magic' users that's more in-line with the tribal outlook of the Draken.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Veckna :eek:
  6. FelixAkuma

Yeh but isn't strength for making any class DPS even the esper? Or am i wrong? That's just what i'm thinking from what i've seen so far as the spellslinger, warrior and stalker uses strength to increase damage, if not then please correct me :)
  7. Minjin

Minjin New Cupcake

But esper take training from an outside force, which teaches them to control their power. I think that would be looked down on with the Draken. They want to be the best, and they want their race to be known as the best killers in the whole galaxy, the strongest the fastest the most cunning. IF they sent their people who could become espers off to train it would taint any win those espers got.
  8. FelixAkuma

Oh i'm not talking about Draken Esper's just all classes in general even the ones that use magic like the esper, if you want them ot be DPS you gotta put strength into them right?
  9. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

It actually appears like they are going wih a system where stats mean different things depending in what class you play. For example Stalkers and Spellslimgers use Dexterity as their primary stat for DPS. However, they may have a couple milestones here and there that are effected by another stat.

And I actually think Spellslingers fit Draken quite well. Remember that blood ritual on Deradune? They actually seem perfectly ok with using magic and mystical powers as tools FOR the hunt. And hunting your prey and picking them off from afar when they might least expect it sounds right up a Draken's alley. :D
  10. InnocentCivilian

Judging by the official website, I'm guessing that different classes attain DPS by different stats. You can see 'DPS' in brackets next to 'Strength' for the Warrior, but 'DPS' next to 'Magic' for the Esper. :geek:

EDIT: Ninja'd again! :coffee:
  11. FelixAkuma

12. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

Spellslingers may be held in high regard if their culture considers the ability to harness and control magical energies a rare and powerful gift.
  13. Minjin

Minjin New Cupcake

Could be an old build, or a build where str was the only dps stat in at the time.

I think more along the lines of they look at all Draken the same, and base them on what they can do, and hunt, rather then how they hunt it. My thoughts on the Draken still stand that they are testing themselves against everything in the known verse til they are sure they have someone worthy enough to test against the only challenge they truly lost. They will bet the Emperor some day. Not to overthrow him and seize power, but just to show they can defeat anything.
  14. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

As I mentioned, some milestones will be effected by different stats than your main stat. This system allows for more custom character building.

Some players won't care about that milestone. They'll want to focus on other things, therefore they might ignore strength and just stack Dex and only focus on powers related to Dex. Others might like to use that milestone, and maybe will find other milestones that use strength, and then focus on stacking strength. Still others will choose a mix, having a sort of hybrid stat focus allowing them to be good with a bunch of milestones.

Hope that's a bit clearer. We don't have much to go on yet for actual final build facts, but that is how I understand the system to work so far. Of course it might all change in he future, but for now I think that's the basic design.
  15. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

I love all the explanations here.

As for the strength for DPS, that would be with the "The Big Guns" milestone that improves your firing rate and damage, in general. It may also have the visual effect of making your pistols hand-cannons, which would be fuggin' amazing.

As for milestones, they make stat distribution meaningful. Instead of having 1-3 "Must Pump" stats, you can siphon off your SP to other areas to get different results for different builds. For example, a Stalker might get a Stealth Attack and Skill Damage boost from a Magic milestone called "Heightened Senses," and a a Warrior might have a similar milestone also in Magic called "Brains AND Brawn" that improves the power of his rip-saw, among other devices.
    Patrician likes this.
  16. FelixAkuma

See, i'm curious if you see future milestones somehow before placing stat points because if not you'd be doing it blindly and would make mistakes, hm..
  17. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

You most likely can, but I'm pretty sure there will be a working respec system in game at launch.
  18. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

The Spellslinger may use Strength for the same reason the Warrior may use Technology, to add a tangential benefit. Strength for a Spellslinger may help her use pistols that have a Strength stat requirement you have to reach in order to use them, pistols whose average DPS is higher than pistols without a Str requirement.
  19. InnocentCivilian

Idunnolol :alien:

Unless one of these things is out of date, I theorise that maybe Dexterity could be crit-based boosts, Strength increases flat physical dmg, and Magic increases all magic dmg. That actually sounds like it could be how the system works.
  20. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Text that goes along with this picture that may be important:
    Patrician likes this.