1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What do the Draken think of Spellslingers?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Optimisticnerd, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Rylia

Rylia Cupcake

Draken are somewhat like WoW's trolls and GW2's charr mixed together. Although Khuvor seemed very enthusiastic about swordsmanship, I think killing effectively matters most to the race - I'm biased, though, as I will probably play a spellslinger. :p
  2. Minjin

Minjin New Cupcake

I think the day will come when the Draken have atoned for the shame of defeat, and feel they are skilled enough to once aGAIN RISE UP! AND ON THAT DAY THE DOMINION WILL BLEED, AND A NEWLY CHOSEN HIGH CLAN LORD WILL FACE THE EMPEROR IN BATTLE, AND THE GOD WILL KNEEL BEFORE THE GREATEST HUNTERS THIS UNIVERSE HAS EVER KNOWN............Or you know atleast take us all out for frozen yogurt.
    Liris, ruff_ethereal and Rylia like this.
  3. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

This made me think of Predators (from, well, you know - the Predator films), which is actually - now that I think about it - very similar to the Draken.

The Predator, or Yautja as they refer to themselves as, has a very strict Code of Honor that they must uphold on their hunts, because, like the Draken, they are not savages and instead wish to prove themselves worthy, coming from a culture that revolves around showcasing their strength and skill in combat.

Spellslingers, to me, seem very similar to a Han Solo type of character with maybe a little Bobo Fett mixed in (or at least in the way Buck is portrayed), which is to say that they can have a sketchy past and perhaps even lead a shady lifestyle (smuggling goods?), and they are willing to do just about anything if the pay is right. They're feared throughout the galaxy for a combination of their magic and their reflexes/instincts.

So, given all that, do I think the Spellslinger class suits the Draken? For the most part, yes. It seems more likely to me though that the Draken would have experimented with the Spellslinger role after joining with the Dominion, having been introduced to the Cassian's technologies and forms of combat. It just seems rather unlikely that they would have had Spellslingers before Azrion landed on Mikros and defeated Zhur, leading to their alliance. As the Drakens were exposed to various new weapons and styles in combat, it probably seemed very natural to them to start training Spellslingers, since they already have such keen instincts and fast reflexes.
    Aheadache and Patrician like this.
  4. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I actually saw things that reminded me of the Yautja a lot when I watched that Deradune video and they were air dropping dangerous animals into the area for the Draken to hunt and slaughter.

I also saw the entire zone less like "The Barrens for WildStar" and much more like "This is the ultimate Game Hunter's Savannah!" So, with that theme in mind... using tech (or in this case the universe's own "magi-tech") would be just another way for a keen master hunter to apply his trade.

I do agree with you though that the Dominion possibly introduced them to Mag Pistols. However, judging from that text on the site about Spellslingers:

A part of me wonders if the Draken further enhanced the traditional training over the years for Spellslingers to make them what they are today. I almost wonder if BEFORE the Draken these were just weapons that pulled arcane primal energies out of the universe around them and amplified their fire power. Anyone could use them.

However, with the Draken combat influence, perhaps over time the "Spellslinger" was even invented as a term, and it referred to someone who not only used these weapons, but also trained to be "something more."

It's only conjecture and speculation about the lore and nothing concrete, but I do wonder if the various races had influences like this in the past over the development of what we think of as a "class." :)
    Veckna and Fate Flyer like this.
  5. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

For some reason I keep thinking of Equilibrium when thinking of Spellslingers (although there's no magic in Equilibrium).
    JarNod and Patrician like this.
  6. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

That's a very good point, Patrician! The hunter's game Savannah really is Deradune. It's the perfect spot for the Draken to set up their own station on Nexus.

I love that theory of yours in regards to the Draken having been the ones to help shape what is now known as the Spellslinger. The Draken were one of the first races to be assimilated into the Dominion, which was over a thousand years ago. So, it wouldn't be so hard to believe that, with all that time they had to be introduced to the weapons of the Domnion, they had given birth to what we know as the Spellslinger class. :D
    Patrician likes this.
  7. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I think Spellslingers are ALL about the Gun Kata. I can even see Draken instigating the movement to create a more agile training and use of the weapons, and then Cassians pretty much streamlining it. :D
    Veckna likes this.
  8. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Minjin, I love your avatar haha.

As for how I feel about Draken being Spellslingers? I think it is totally acceptable. They may be primitive by Cassian standards (along with every other race) but I doubt think they are below the level of using firearms and that's basically what a Spellslinger does. They aren't like the Esper class that can harness magical energies on their own, so their guns do it for them. Someone else can make the guns too and all the Draken have to do is pull some triggers and bam, dead beasty/exile.
  9. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Haha yeh imagine a Draken testing the pistols for the first time and killing something and it's little face lighting up in delight. :p
    Goreshank likes this.
  10. Whozaka

Whozaka New Cupcake

Honestly I think this game just might be the best idea in a long time.