1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What do you do for work?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Azzurri, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I didn't see this thread, so what do you do?

I work for a family ran Construction company (Masonry). My dad has been doing this since he was 12 back in Italy, and when he moved to the US is the late 60's he continued it. It's been pretty good to us; even though, the economy had been rough for the past couple years. Now it's picking up in our sector, which is good because it means more work and larger contracts for us.

It's literally the only job I've ever had, it's the only thing I know. I don't work out in the field like I did when I was younger, but now in the office doing AR/AP and other office stuff.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Taking a page out of the "Random Kat Asks" Book I see! :p

I'm a stay at home mom and also babysits up to 3 other children in addition to having my own two running around. My oldest starts kindergarten in the fall :cry:

Hubby used to work construction (built log cabins, semi-nickname is LumberJack) now he works for the state making sure drinking water is safe.
  3. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a registered pharmacy technician (or RPhT for short) for Walgreens. I play with drugs all day! :D

In reality, I'm the person who bangs his head against his computer keyboard as he gets put on hold for the third time while on the phone with an insurance company trying to work out a claim for a customer only to then get yelled at by said customer because their $3 copay that I managed to work out for them is MUCH to expensive. :p

I'M NOT BITTER OR ANYTHING!

No, there's quirks to every job and you eventually just take it in strides because eventually it becomes rather comical. Truth be told, I love my job and it came at a time in my life when I wasn't sure what I really wanted to do.
  4. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I work in an office for a Credit Union which is similar to a bank, primarily I work with things like loans and some minor investment services for our members.
  5. Pyaray

Pyaray Carbine Studios

I heard cats, at least that's what it feels like.
    Zilvoran, Whatley, Kirathis and 8 others like this.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well even though i'm still in school, hopefully (when i'm finished) i'll be a teacher! Preferable History teacher but i don't mind giving other subjects aswell. I'm versatile in that departement :up: For now i love to teach the kids and it bring me great joy!

But for now my every week job = having meetings! While most people would find it boring i love to be in meetings, and i get paid quite nicely for it!
    But then again i need to read over some files that look like they have no ending to them :coffee: We need to go trough things like how many money they got, and if it's ''good'' to go trough with the renovation or not. Our vote's count so i got some ''power'' if you may call it that way :D

And then i'm also working with Elderly and people who can't live on themselves because of diseases like Parkinsons, Altzheimer etc. This is a job i've been doing for the past 4 years in my holidays.

But this year i'm going on vacation for the first time in 4 years ^_^ YAY!! The reason behind it is not so yay....but let's see the positive side of it for now ;)
    Rai and Críostóir like this.
  7. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I work at a Glass factory(yes tarzan we make glass), about to get into Doing Tattoos. Airbrush on the side. I would love to get into school to be making games.Computer Animation and Game Design. Love drawing up new characters with character biographies. Became mechanical engineer for a year till economy took a huge dump designing PDM wire control boxes/welding/painting/hydrolics and so on.

Started working Really young on a Ranch.. love working and building things :)
  8. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a full time maid, chef, and chauffeur to my little dictator. ;)

My husband is in IT.
    Alverad and Kataryna like this.
  9. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

For the last decade plus, except for a three year Mr. Mom break, I've been doing customer service for a data provider, satellite and online. Best job I've ever had actually. Keep thinking I should get more into the tech but never get off my butt enough to go back to school.
  10. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

Full time college student here, but I do some landscaping work on the side, in addition to random odd jobs (mostly physical labor no one else wants to do). Will be looking at a summer job here shortly, be nice to have something resembling a steady paycheck again.

All of this sounds hopelessly lame compared to everyone else in this thread. Gotta start somewhere though.
  11. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I work for a small appraisal company that does both residential and commercial appraisals (though I am only on the residential end of things). My job title is something along the lines of appraiser assistant / scheduler / order processor. It's the most stressful job I've ever held, as it's extremely busy and we're grossly understaffed (due to my boss being openly cheap), so we're all required to work until our work is complete, which can be after 8 hours during our slower periods, or up to 12 hours during the summer time with no breaks (technically, we can take them, but it's frowned upon, and there's no time to anyway XD). It's certainly not a dream job, and I'm not happy with the pay either. All that, plus add in the lack of any benefits and an assortment of middle-aged women coworkers who enjoy creating drama, and you get the hell that I try each and every day to turn into a happy environment! :) Am I successful? Sometimes. Somewhat. :laugh:

Not only am I looking to find a new job soon (hoepfully something art-related or creative, given that I have a Bachelor's of Fine Arts in Game Art and Design), but I also hope to move from the midwest out to the southwest.

I get to work with a lot of different banks, as they're the ones who send us all our appraisal orders (whether borrowers are refinancing their homes and need an appraisal or they are buying a home). So, we're pretty much job allies. :)

Sounds magical.
    [​IMG]
    Kurik and spencerBAXLEY like this.
  12. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Indie game dev. Awwww yeaaaah.
  13. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

You're singing the song of my people! Our pharmacy does about 300 scripts a day, but we're definitely understaffed because corporate (in their infinite wisdom) feel like we should be able to do more with less. :p
  14. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

Did you mean mechanical technician? Or did u actually got o school for a degree in ME? , because thats what my grandpa does and he tells me that his field is extremely low in qualified Engineers (Anyone with a degree).

On a personal note, im a full time CS major. I develop a handful of linux programs on the side. They aren't lucrative, but that's not why I do them anyways :roflamo: I also wanna start working on W* mods in my free time.
  15. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

What platform?
  16. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Mostly Windows. Developing a game from Windows/Mac/Linux atm, cross platform is a pain.
  17. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

I work for an ISP (internet service provider). Think of Comcast, but smaller.
    I work the night shift and technically work in the 2nd tier department. (I get my own desk :p)
    I basically help people fix: IPTV (Cable TV), DSL, VoiP (internet phone), E-mail, FFTH (Fiber ops). We also help support Wifi at some of the biggest airports in America. (LAX, BOS, SFO, MIA, etc).
    On a daily basis, I get to talk to about 10-18 different people in an 8 hour day. Sometimes they can be the nicest people. Then you sometimes get the customer who feels like yelling at you and calls you name. I've been with the company so long, I just mute my phone and laugh when people call me names or feel to urge to blame me for their issues. (Tip: Most people will also only put 50% effort into resolving the issue. If you're nice, people will put in 110%.)
    The company I work for, just bought another company. I know get to help people from Illinois, Texas, Pennsylvania, Kansas, and soon California & Missouri. (Not too excited about it lol)

TL;DR: I work for a company like Comcast (I live in America). Be nice to technical support.
    Vembumees likes this.
  18. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I am a recent college graduate with a Bachelor's of Science, majored in Multimeda Design and Development, basically a jack of all trades graphic artist and designer. My SO is a 3D Modeler / Rigger / Animator and like me is currently underemployed. She works for Best Buy as a Geek Squad tech and I work for Jimmy John's as a sandwich sorceress.

I hate this economy.
    Rai, spencerBAXLEY and Críostóir like this.
  19. Steelheart

Steelheart Cupcake

I'm a firefighter. Love it! Been doing it for 24yrs now, and still look forward to going to work every shift :)
  20. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

I own, and operate my own coffee shop where I dispense culture, good music, great Beatles inspired atmosphere and of course really great coffee from Italy. Besides my main business I also have a degree in Graphic Design. Occasionally I will take freelance jobs in my off hours, and make a little extra on the side with that.

I too was once a firefighter. I was of course only a volunteer fire fighter, but I did as much as any of the full-time guys (Meth lab fires are not fun). This was around the time I was 18-19. Around seventeen I tested for my Fire 1&2 licenses, and after I graduated high school I did that for a short time before going off to college.