1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What Healer ?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by crestidgecko, May 7, 2014.

1. crestidgecko

crestidgecko New Cupcake

Hey everyone, firstly im new to this community but will be very active now I've found a good place to chat so HI ALL !

Now onto business

I work weekends and as such have missed almost ALL of the beta weekends, I have Thursday and Friday off this week and looking forward to giving the game a bit of a trail run to find the class for me.

I always heal and my endgame goal is to be healer in both PvP and PvE, so it limits it down to
    *Medic
    *Esper
    *Spellslinger

I was hoping someone could break down for me the difference in healing styles of each of these classes and there pros/cons

Ideally id be looking for a kind of bubble/dmg mitigation class with big long cast heals which I believe is along the esper route but would appreciate a more clued up person to let me know.

Thanks
  2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Medic's are very mobile, as heal or DPS, and also have abilities that can aid in other ways than just healing. Empowering probes increase damage of your teammates. Medics are also one of the only classes that can heal and restore shields. Their majoy downside is their short range compared to Espers and Spellslingers. They also possess an ability to heal and do damage to foes at the same time.

Spellslingers have much longer range than medics. They also have an ability that allows them to heal and do damage at the same time. They are able to caste an absorb shield on allies and, if used properly with spellsurge, can be very helpful. Most of their telegraphs are lone and narrow. This could be a downside in that it makes it a little harder to chase people down. They have two targeted heals. One of them has a long recharge.

Espers have a variety of targeted heals do heal those runners. Despite their reputation as a stationary class, a healing esper is actually very mobile using Soothe as their main heal. They also have a variety of heal over time effects. Reverie provides a group heal that's easy to use in a radius around the caster. At endgame raids, where lots of people can make it hard to see the tank, targeted heals will likely be most helpful.

I've used the Esper the most. I found that I could actually heal really well with just a few abilities. Soothe is my main heal and my builder. Bolster is used mostly for two quick psi points and stake a heal over time on the tank. The psi points from those abilities can be used two ways. First is Reverie which is a large radius heal centered on me that I can use to easily heal the entire time. The other is with mending banner which can be a strong single target heal I can put on the tank. All of these abilities are completely mobile. After Bolster, Soothe, Reverie, and Mending banner you still have plenty of free spaces on your LAS to add other abilities as you feel you need them.
  3. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I feel like we've talked about this a million times over the last month or so, so I'll keep it short and sweet.^^

Medic healers are primarily AoE healers, they only have one single-target heal. As a medic you'll be using channel-heals and HoT heals, then bursting with your actuators (medic resource, built up by using a channel heal) in instant AoE heals. Medics like to heal shields and health, which is sorta bubble-ish. Medics might be the best hybrid dps/healer class at the moment (people will fight me about this like mad though).

Esper healers are typically considered "tank healers," but they can also do just fine AoE healing depending on your LAS. Healing as an esper consists of using healing builders until you have 5 psy-points (think rogue combo points) then pumping out a big AoE or Single Target heal. Espers use a lot of cast-time heals, with a couple instant-cast heals for their builders, but finishers are always instantly cast. Espers do have a nice instant-cast bubble ability that is on a long cooldown.

Spellslinger healers use channel and cast-time heals and they have a lot of really cool AoE heals (though I've heard 'slingers complaining about their AoE in PvP situations). They also have a nice AoE bubble ability. Explaining their innate ability here would take way too long, but you really have to understand it to understand how a spellslinger plays (Look up Spell Surge, I think it's really fun). In a nut-shell that means that spellslinger healers are going to be fairly bursty. Spellslingers can shift into the void (sorta like a temporary stealth where you're also immune to damage) which is very useful for PvP survivability. I can't say much more here because I haven't played spellslinger healers enough, go check out the thread called "Spellslinger Healing!" for more in-depth info.

Also, here's a great resource:

http://ws-base.com/

aaand now I'll hand it over to you Domi :p

Edit: No way! Domi beat me to it by seconds or something!
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  4. Domi Dayglow

It's kind of neat that we said mostly the same thing too!
    PalsyPlague likes this.
  5. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

It's because we're awesome :p

...aaaand we just need this game to get released at this point!
  6. Domi Dayglow

It's okay. We have ten days of open beta starting tomorrow! Yays! Must visit Kel Vorath with esper in the morning.
  7. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

Every time I've queued Kel Vorath I've gotten the final boss because their previous healer quit/sucked too much to heal that fight. So frustrating because I just want to see the dungeon!
  8. crestidgecko

crestidgecko New Cupcake

Thanks allot for the responses. I deffinately think esper is the way I'm heading. Am I able to level as dos and respec for dungeons ? My main concern is not having a heal spec while leveling to do group events yet it's impossible to solo level as a healer .
  9. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

you get your first dual spec at level 15. Not coincidentally, the first adventure is also at level 15. So you can always level DPS and heal dungeons if you want to. Just make sure you keep a support weapon and an assault weapon, none of the other gear is super important to keep another set of until late-game.

Edit: Domi and I are both playing esper on live. Even though we both tried to be as impartial as possible I feel like we may have unconsciously swayed your decision somehow? But you have ten-days in open beta to decide for yourself anyway^^.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Just casually walking by to say that ''specs'' in this game are the least of your concerns. You can have 2 at the beginning (and more if you get higher).

just save some scrap dps/heal gear you find on your adventure/dungeoning in your bags and you can be a strong dps aswell as a strong healer.
  11. Domi Dayglow

Extatica is right in that 'specs' aren't really going to be an issue for you. By the time you reach Adventures and Dungeons you do have two 'specs' available to you. That's LAS bar and AMP abilities. If you make a mistake or unlock an AMP later? It's okay. You can pay monies and reset your AMPs. LAS abilities can be switched out for free at any time.

I made it to level 25 and collected items that gave insight on the way. Then I got lucky and found a good support power Psyblade. Having a Support Power weapon is important as it will make the most difference in your healing output simple because it weapons have the biggest effect on your assault and support power because they have the biggest numbers.

As a healer, and as a Esper Healer, I found a few things I wanted to look for that seemed to help me. First was support power. Higher it is, the better my heals. For an Esper, Insight is our support power trait. I also collected things to give me increased critical chance and severity for critical healing. Finally I kept an eye out for items that increased focused recovery rate. Mostly just to test it out.
  12. crestidgecko

crestidgecko New Cupcake

Thanks once again for the useful replies. I think in my mind I had already chosen esper but I didn't know allot about any other healer to make the decision for my playstyle. You have been very helpful