1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is Hardcore Gaming?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Oroshi, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Grohmm

Grohmm Cupcake

A HardCore gamer is someone who want challenges in every aspect of the game. For example, the 150 hours of leveling is for me a great challenge to try to be the first at max level of a country, server or faction.
    It's really hard to stay focus during more than a week with the pressure of the competition.

This aspect of the hardcore gamer is bound with the fact he can devote a week to the game.

A hardcore gamer wants to be the best, in many aspects of the game and he wants to be known for his skills.
    For me, it goes with the help of the new players, the new guildmates in order to improve the general knowledge of the game.

In open world PvP, the Hardcore is someone hard to beat. Because he is prepared, he uses the right skill on the right time and the way he plays is not common. When we observe the good players in PvP (in game, video..), we can learn from them and it's a pleasure to see them play.
  2. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Time spent does have a great deal of influence in becoming a skilled player, but once you've learned how to play an MMO you can adapt to new ones much quicker than a fresh newbie can so you don't need to put the silly amounts of time in to become a great player. Of course different people have different aptitudes, but at the end of the day personal performance comes down to not wasting any time between abilities, chaining those abilities correctly, building and gearing your character to be competitive (time sink) and not standing in the red stuff.

I do agree with you though, a guild can have a hardcore schedule and be full of people who have never bothered to learn how to play properly or just can't play and they will be outperformed by the guild full of amazing players who only raid twice a week for 3 hours each.
    Alverad likes this.
  3. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Hardcore gaming means having everything at hand and still think that the money you pay are worth it!
  4. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Um, isn't trying to make your life mean something, however trivial, a noble and essential goal?
  5. Scrapple

Scrapple Cupcake

That's exactly what I did and the Guild or I should say Community (cause we spam across many games) I joined are just like that RL comes first. These people are the best people I ever gamed with.But being divorced (not because of gaming) I get my daughter every other weekend I get to do more stuff in game. I am the Guild leader for our community for this game even with my time restraints.
  6. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I used to think it was sad and somewhat pathetic to devote so much time to games. Especially in MMOs. Of course, then I got older and realized that MMO gaming is no different than any other hobby. The amount of time put into your character, learning and mastering content, staking some claim in the game world and real world by way of competition and standing out among hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of players. That in and of itself is an accomplishment.
  7. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

Agreed, sadly even gamers will belittle their own hobby because they've been conditioned that it's a waste of time.

Balance can be found between life, fitness, gaming, and profession. While you won't have 'as much time' as the 'basement dweller' you guys keep referring to, you can still be competitive.
    Scrapple likes this.
  8. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

Spending a good amount of time playing a certain activity (pve-raiding, or pvp) IMO is what make someone hard core. I want to say 14+ hours a week is the amount of time that I see as where someone crosses the thresh-hold from semi-hardcore to hardcore.

To all the people teasing those that are posting in this thread for having no lives...well you're following a pre-release game too. Don't make assumptions about how people are in real life based on their game habits. I know way more raiders that have a job and family than I know basement dwellers (they do exist but not in mass). Non-PC gamers often stereotype MMO-players as no-life-jobless-live-with-their-parents-and-play-all-day. We are all MMO players and we should keep that in mind when you make disrespectful remarks because someone wants to play their games in a different way than you do.
    pseudo likes this.
  9. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

That's just a typical attitude of some MMO gamers. Always trying to find ways to separate themselves from as many people as possible in order to look as good or as important as possible. It seems as if those that don't feel fulfilled in reality need a virtual one to fill in the void. Fortunately I find most people really aren't like that, they just aren't as loud as the ones that are.

As far as hardcore goes, I'm with Jynetik on this one. It really just comes down to your level of commitment. And not just time, but how much you commit to it mentally. I can spend countless hours in an MMO, but if I'm not making much of an effort to learn my class or learn about my enemies than that isn't going to be time well spent.

In WOW lately I've long since stopped raiding with guilds and the best gear I have is all from LFR's and valor points. But I'll be damned if I don't at least nip at the heals of some decently geared players. I know my class and how to use it.
  10. Ico

Couldn't agree more with yourself and Bisquit, your life should be doing whatever you want to do, it's your effing life and no-one else's. It's still seen perfectly acceptable to go and play football (soccer for you yanks) for 5 nights a week at 2-3 hour training sessions but do the same in gaming and suddenly you're a sad-act. Either from jealously from players who aren't doing as well as you (which if they probably stopped b*tching about they could just play and get to the same level), or ignorance from people who have no idea of what gaming is like.

MMO gaming, for all the trouble it caused me when I lost track of the balance (of things I wanted/needed to be doing) in my life, has made me a better person. Over the years I've considered more people friends than even the most prolific Facebook addict. Leading guilds and raids, meeting those players from all over the world, all with different cultures, beliefs and attitudes has made me a better person. Confidence in public speaking and job interview, even pure improv is no longer an issue for me. Also, I think because I've experienced so many different types of people I'm just more tolerant and understanding than the petulant child I once was.

I didn't mean sound arrogant there, but saying gaming and MMO gaming is a waste of time is completely false, it gives you so many transferable skills without you even realising it. I don't believe for a second I'm the only person who feels the same way either.
  11. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

[Mod Shades] I am noticing quite a few posts in this thread that are quite inappropriate, rude, or harsh. Please watch what you say and take care not to offend. [/Mod Shades]
  12. Ico

You had me worried with that first paragraph :p, I've met some of the people who exist purely for a game and whilst I was impressed by how much they knew (from memory, it's a game and so it's all available on a wiki somewhere somehow), it later became obvious what they'd sacrificed to get there.

I think your remarks regarding numbers are probably more of a testament to recent WoW game design and the laziness it's inspired in pretty much all of it's playerbase. From what I can gather you're a good player who just can't really be bothered with raiding anymore, but the problem being is that it's so easy to get all that shiny raid gear that even bad players have it, they are then just carried by their stats and in no way push their characters like you might do in the same gear.
  13. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

Sure, I'd say so. However, I'd be lying if I didn't find those that boast about themselves in capitol cities like they're gods gift to mankind to be somewhat laughable. It all comes down to the attitude in my opinion.
  14. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

Hardcore gaming, to me, is when even tiny mistakes are unforgivable, and when the game comes first before your real-life obligations.
    Scrapple likes this.
  15. ImmortalExile

This, too. It's really easy to boast in a game, but I feel those that are true hardcore gamers and have real accomplishments don't waste their time talking in general about how elite they are. They're the ones out there still playing.
    Modesty and a humble demeanor are few and far between in MMOs these days I feel. I think the numbers are accurate- the very vocal minority can make or break the whole atmosphere of a game. Sadly. ( my opinion anyways)
  16. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I am a hardcore progressive raider until 11 PM EST.

That's when I am hardcore sleeping so I can hardcore work the next day, so I can get back to hardcore dinner with my wife then get back to hardcore gaming \ raiding.

Hardcore is defined as being intensely loyal, die-hard. The permanent, dedicated, and faithful nucleus of a group or movement.

Hardcore is how much fun time your willing to push to progress in a game. Sure there are other values you can attached to it. It's a loose term to try and identify how you want set a standard for game-play and its also used to find like minded players when recruiting.

As you can see from the community feedback above, the value of the term varies. When I see someone say they are recruiting for a hardcore guild, I then wonder what their definition of it is. Do they raid 3 nights a week? 6 nights a week? Do they raid 5 hours a night per raid night? Most of it comes down to how much time spent doing the same thing is the value of hardcore.

I rarely take the time to read wall post, skim through most of them. But this time I was hardcore enough and read all of the massive feedback with two cups of coffee. :coffee:

Someone should make a wiki and chart with a scale level defining the levels of hardcore vs time vs content game example vs guild leader rules. I am sure that would cause levels of discussion.

Carbine looks motivated on Elder Game content so I am excited about dredging through their creation for hours on end. I put a time limit on my hardcore that ends at 11 PM EST 3 to 4 nights a week, 4 to 5 hours per skull dragging, scraping nails across the chalkboard fun. So does that make me a casual hardcore? If there are any guilds out there that can match that time and are going to be progressive then we might need to talk.

I did not want to type this much. +1 to the OP. So this is a really good post, good topic and good feedback from the community.

[​IMG]
    Inukeu and ImmortalExile like this.
  17. Ico

Move to Europe, then PM me :D
    Aheadache likes this.
  18. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

Another good point is while you may not value your time playing any game, I do. Very much so. I make sure the time I spend is worth the time I'm sacrificing from my wife, my daughter, the gym, and from work.

The reason people have monikers such as this for themselves is that they want to surround themselves with people that also value their time. Gaming is an investment of my time and playing with someone that doesn't view it to be CAN BE a waste of time. I have set goals for myself, just like with ANY hobby I undertake, and therefore prefer to surround myself with people that won't take that lightly.

A good example is basketball; when I play basketball, whether it's a pickup game of 3 on 3 or a game of 21, I play to win...100% I refuse to play with people that are "just having fun" because there is no competition and it's just a waste of my time.
    Mudfin, cali and Aheadache like this.
  19. ImmortalExile

Gotta say, Aheadache hit the nail on the head.
    I've got a wife, two kids, and (soon) a career that will eat up so much time from me that my gaming will be limited. But when I game, and game I shall, I want to throw all my cards on the table and get balls deep in those pixels! But once the sandman cometh, bet your boots I'm throwing in the towel until the next time I can log in.
    Aheadache likes this.
  20. Ico

Exactly, I wouldn't ever apply to a casual guild, because that's not what I'm looking for, we've devised these terms slowly over the past 20-40 years so that people can find others who are looking for the same experience :).