1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is Hardcore Gaming?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Oroshi, Apr 6, 2013.

1. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

A hardcore is someone who is highly motivated to achieve a goal. While this goal may be inside of a video game and therefore deemed "insignificant" to some, it is important to them and is therefore a worthwhile pursuit. Relativism is a wonderful thing.

Hardcore does not necessarily connote a specific amount of time played, but is instead about one's mastery of the task. This is because the best "hardcore" raiders will blow through the content relatively quickly (usually taking no longer than a month) and will after that fall into a pretty relaxed schedule of raiding (5-6 hours a week just for gear/alt clears) until tests start on the next tier.
    Nym likes this.
  2. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

As Pseudo said, Hardcore does not necessarily mean amount of time played. In the any of the hardcore guilds I have been in we spent less time clearing content and farming then we did in casual guilds. Casual guild would raid 4 days a week 3-4 hours consistently. The hardcore guild would do 5 days a week 4 hours until all content was cleared then we would go to 1-2 days a week for about 3 hours a day and clear the entire thing. Once a raid was on "farm" the raids rarely took more then 1 day to clear and then people just started gearing alts.

When it comes to hardcore pvp it was rarely about time spent in game, since wow got rid of the old pvp title grind system, most games don't have long grinds anymore for pvp. So top tier players quickly rise to the top get access to the best gear, then just do what is required of them to stay at the top and reap the benefits.

The only major time related hardcore activity I would say is actually spent out of game. Trying to figure out strategies for boss fights, gear min/max, setting up guides for guild mates, etc.
    Alverad likes this.
  3. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

I love this bit of your post, especially the definition, great post man.
    Aheadache likes this.
  4. Nyxis

Nyxis Cupcake-About-Town

I see a lot of people saying that the "amount of time" you play the game determines how hardcore you are.
    Does this mean gold farmers are hardcore players? Or does it mean that wiping on the same trash mob for 4 hours, rather than getting through it in 30 minutes, make me hardcore? You are not hardcore just because you're online 9+ hours a day, everyday.

Time does not determine how "hardcore" a player is. It's what they do with the time that they spend online.

My two cents... the general meaning of "hardcore" means... recognizing your weaknesses, devoting the time and effort to perfecting your skill, and understanding the challenges you've set for yourself. You then take that skill and apply it towards achieving a recognizable goal.
    Alverad and Ego13 like this.
  5. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

LOL and this is polite how? It seems that you hate on your former Guild, as that circumstances did not allow use to participate any longer. Just an observation and may be wrong.
  6. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

Precisely....setting and achieving goals.

Hardcore raiding guilds don't wipe on trash (or even bosses) for weeks at a time, struggling guilds do.
    Nyxis likes this.
  7. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

thank you for a great analytical view.
  8. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

Though you give a nice overlook of your view, I have to disagree with this statement. I absolutely do not enjoy repeating content!!! I can count numerous times were my Guild spent literally hundreds of hours perfecting one boss fight. All of us would get into a beta server and approximately spend 6 to 8 hours a day six days a week perfecting one boss fight. So in my case this was not about repeatedly doing content over, as that it is making a fight as perfect as we could. For when the content was live we could achieve the server first.
  9. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

I think what you need to acknowledge is what did these players sacrifice in order to get this good? Granted there are some players that are just naturally good, but in my experience to actually be in the top 10% it takes much more.
  10. Oroshi

Oroshi Cupcake

Wow! that was a lot to read through, much more than I imagined.

It seems people think Hardcore is one of two things

The amount of time you put in - does mean you are successful, else we all would be successful at our studies or jobs

or

the skill you aim to achieve - this can take time to reach, does not mean it will, is a group of players who complete a Raid on their first try, more hardcore than the group who takes months.

Yes there are a few more definitions as well.

It also seems to me that the word 'Hardcore' has become a stale buzzword, thrown out to describe guilds and players. Does it mean anything anymore, are guilds not looking for a more defined meaning to describe their style and members.
    Aheadache likes this.
  11. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I believe I have in my other posts, the general consensus seems to be that dedication = time but time doesn't necessarily equal dedication. I know what those players sacrificed (in general of course) out of their lives as I've done it myself, I don't think I've said that the top 10% were just born to be amazing at MMO's and I definitely didn't mean to imply it!

I wouldn't say stale at all, if you see "Hardcore" on a guild then you should be able to build some preconceptions about what that guild is going to ask from you before you even read their guild info/recruitment message. There are definitely some guilds out there that use these terms when they shouldn't, in effect watering down the meaning behind the word itself, but it does still serve a purpose.
    Nyxis likes this.
  12. Scrapple

Scrapple Cupcake

That was the most polite thing to say I did my time i busted my butt to get were I got but when you choose a game over a child's life then there is something seriously wrong there. so to have them expect me to pick a game over my daughter wrong thing to say to me.
    Alverad likes this.
  13. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

I am starting to wonder if hardcore US is what Hardcore EU is. I've known people in top 3 EU WoW guilds, and neither the app process, nor the general mindset, seems anywhere near what the hardcore mentality is in the US. Though it very well may be just luck/coincidence.
    Mudfin likes this.
  14. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

Absolutely I agree with your values. Though you still have a dilemma to deal with. I also had been in similar situations where my wives said that if I love the game that much I should sleep with it. :) Regardless I went through four wives and this was not just because of gaming. Much of it had to do with 22 years in the military and being deployed for 12 years. Some say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I have to say bull hockey.

Agreed EU and US hard-core gamers seem to be total different breed. EU seems to be much more friendly and easy going, yet accomplishing similar goals. I don't know if it derives from many of the US players worrying about sponsorship or what have you. Either way this is not make one better than the other. However I tend to notice I gravitate towards EU dominant teams.
  15. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

I think the MMO community might be the only one that polarizes itself by putting emphasis on the "Hardcore" gamers versus the "Casual" gamers

Other communities might describe players as casual but not in such a way that it divides the community.
  16. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Monocle> Flamebait removed. </Mod Monocle>
  17. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Very good feedback. I wish guild would remove the label when recruiting because its kinda vague buzzword now, it does lead to question so that might be a good thing when applying for a guild. One players hardcore is another players casual.
  18. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Please do not openly discuss moderation. If you have an issue with moderation, contact the mod team in a PM. </Mod Monocle>

Either way, I'd like to build on my kinda flippant comment and define what I believe is Hardcore. This only relates to raiding. I do not have enough experience in PvP to tell you what is what.

The way I see it, there are four groups of player. Hardcore, semi-hardcore, casual and bad.

To be considered hardcore, content must be cleared pre-nerf and on a timescale consistent with other region/server 1st guilds. This initially involves a massive time commitment (which steeply declines once content is on farm) as well as a certain attitude.

Semi-hardcore is a huge grey area. Most casuals would like to believe they are semi-core but unless you are raiding 3-4 nights per week, clearing content perhaps after the first wave of nerfs and not pugging anyone, then you're probably not in this category. They are usually a few months behind the top dogs.

Casuals perhaps raid 2-3 nights per week, have a life outside the game and clear content much slower and usually when heavily nerfed.

Bads are bad.
  19. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

To me there are several levels:

NOTE: These are the definitions in my personal opinion... Don't be offended if mine doesn't match yours.
    Also note: I left out pvp players. Because I don't pvp, and obviously i would have trouble labeling them on the hardcore - casual meter.

Hardcore: Players that raid 4-5 nights a week, 3-4 hours a day. These players will be people who always know what they are doing, and strive to play the game as best as they possibly can in raid. These are the people who, if their life allows it, will play 21 (1 hour for bodily functions, 2 hours for sleeping), hours a day leveling their toon to max level upon release. They want to be the best player period, and will study the game like they would study for a final exam. These players always clear raids before nerf.

Semi-hardcore: Semi-hardcore players are people who typically know what they are doing, but are not nearly as competitive as hardcore players. Semi-hardcore players typically raid 3 nights a week, 3 hours a day. They try to aim for a good ranking over all, but don't go for absolute best. Though, they will study their class as much as possible. These players usually clear raids either just before nerfs, or right after.

Casual-Raiders: This to me is kind of a mid-ground area between casuals and semi-hardcore. Casual raiders are people who know what they are doing in terms with the game, but either don't care too much about raids, or don't have the time for it. These players will typically raid 2 days a week, 2-3 hours a day. In my experience these kinds of people don't have much of a competitive drive, but rather their attitude is "just have fun with the game," which isn't a bad thing. These players will typically clear raids a few months after nerfs.

Casual players: In my opinion, I define a casual player as somebody who does not raid in at least a normal mode, and does not participate in hardcore pvp. Rather they play the game as just something to do on their off time, often doing quests, doing 5 mans with friends, etc. Casual players to me will sometimes participate in normal mode raids, but rarely ever make it to heroics. These players will almost never finish a heroic mode while it's current content.

Bad players/noobs: These are people who have no clue what they're doing. Seriously. They're dumb. Try to teach them something; if it doesn't seem to be doing any good just avoid them. These players will never clear a heroic mode boss, much less get into a raid. They will only clear the content in the next expansion.
    Aheadache likes this.
  20. The Lonely Angel

The Lonely Angel New Cupcake

True Hardcores do not judge casuals and semi's as they judge us , a true hardcore dedicates himself to the game and is very skilled , just because you dont have the time or the skill doesn't mean you have the right to degrade what a real hardcore is you say you have responsibilities so do lots of the hardcore u wanna be among us , lose sleep , like i do.