1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is Hardcore Gaming?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Oroshi, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I don't quite agree with your definition of Semi-Hardcore, seeing as a true Semi-Hardcore guild should be raiding at the level of a hardcore guild but without the overwhelming time commitments, whilst this means hardcore guilds normally grab the Server firsts, Semi-Hardcore guilds tend not to be far behind them and don't actually require a round of nerfs.
  2. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Hardcore gaming is refusing sex in order to continue playing a video game.
    Alverad likes this.
  3. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Or receiving it whilst playing.
  4. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Anyone who tells you your daughter is no excuse to stop raiding is a moron. RL comes first.

Also Hardcore to me simply means you spend 8+ hours a day on it. To me it's time investment.
    Scrapple likes this.
  5. Scrapple

Scrapple Cupcake

The funny thing is that he said in Guild chat so everyone saw it literally ten minutes later he got flamed and there was a mass exodus of g quitting I guess that's what you get for being an arse. So we form our own guild to suit our play style. Anyway that was then and this is now.
  6. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

poopsocking it.
  7. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Man I had to google that. :laugh: Different hardcore..

It is in the Urban Dictionary
    http://www.urbandictionary....

"1. poopsocking

Defecating into a sock in order to avoid having to get up from your computer to use the toilet. Often utilized when playing online role playing games.

John was poopsocking all the way to level 60 this weekend."
  8. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

You know what's funny? Your avatar is from the poopsock episode in Southpark, and you didn't even know LOL.
    Mudfin and Aheadache like this.
  9. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

As Beetle said... this sums it up perfectly.

I'm a hardcore Dad, hardcore friend, hardcore gamer.

Aheadache +1 to you for this response. I love it.
    Aheadache likes this.
  10. imrevned

imrevned Cupcake

How do you kill, that which has no life?
    Veckna and Aheadache like this.
  11. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Man I changed my avatar because of your post. Was going with Flat Eric until you poopsocked it.
    Azzurri likes this.
  12. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Love the post OP. I will say that I have read no other points to this thread but the OPs.

What is HARDCORE?

For me i have always separated the word into HARD and CORE.

HARD = in gaming terms to me this means regimented. The player is going to play X amount of hours (this number can be small, it doesn't have to be large) at a minimum each week. Those hours will be structured and similar each and every week. They won't deviate. They will drive themselves and their guild of like minds to be the best at their particular endeavors. During their play hours the player is very structured on what they are doing. They come in with a plan and don't stray from it.

CORE = in gaming terms this means striving to be the best. The player will play the game to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of their character. They will number crunch their builds, attributes and abilities to maximize their role. . Their plan they want to achieve is generally the goal of not being ineffective or the weak link.

Now the reason I have always broken it down this way is that I no longer fit the first definition. I always call my self a CASUALCORE.

CASUAL = in gaming terms I define it as uncontrolled. Not wild and crazy without restraint, but more along the lines of I play when my schedule allows. One week it could be 25 hours the next only 3. One week could be 9-12 in the morning for 3 days the next it is 6-11P 4 nights a week. While we have a plan we may not be able to work to that plan each time we play. Although we are trying to achieve in game we are fine if it takes a bit longer and we don't mind deviation from or plans.

In EQ I was HARDCORE. Since then I find myself definitely falling into CASUALCORE.

EDIT: While I may not be able to participate in a video game in this manner anymore, or I have to adjust what is winning, the sentiment in Ego's post is spot on!

13. Konoko

LOL Kinda disagree here.. but I do agree that the term itself "hardcore" means different things to different people.
  14. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

Is raiding endgame for 5years from 1am-5am, 5 days a week, 7 days on 24/7 callout incase of contested spawn while maintaining a full time job and a girlfriend considered hardcore?

Oh and I forgot, all while not living in my moms basement ( or house at all )
  15. Konoko

Nope. That is considered insanity. :)

However, yah for PvE Raiding.. I'd call that hardcore.
  16. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

Oh well, then I guess all posts prior to and from this moment onwards mentioning mothers basements, lack of wives/gf's, and job/life in general should just be deleted.
  17. Konoko

No you had better not. I don't fall into the group of MMO players that for some reason have no imagination and like to follow the herd. Well.. that really is just young people being young. Anyways I won't judge anyone in the game based on what they do in the game *outside of cheating or something really annoying*.

I kind of wanted to make a stupid book called Do you know MMO. It would include all of the really stupid stereotypes and unimaginative forum, in game, chats. Like a coffee table book for nerds. Not that I'm a nerd mind you *ahem*.

Cheers

~ Koni
  18. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Let me elaborate, I wasn't trying to tell you what the word Hardcore means, because that's a silly semantic argument. I was criticising the messed up value system that MMO players tend to have towards achievement in their games. It's the attitude that suggests completing a genuinely challenging raid encounter or placing high on a ranked PvP ladder populated by thousands of teams in WoW shouldn't be respected, "because WoW is for casuals".

I've been in conversations with people who have aggressively defended the original Korean enchanting system in TERA, on the principle that "hard work", should be rewarded. Where "hard work" in this sentence means:

a) Playing a video game for 12 hours a day, and
    b) Spending your time in that video game farming a field of bears for 12 hours a day to make money, in order to throw that money at a slot machine system that may eventually provide you with the most powerful gear in the game after a period of months.

The mentality here is that players who spend more time in a game are more valuable, more important, should be rewarded with character power in proportion to the amount of time they have invested. These are the people who complain if the amount of time required to achieve something, that was strictly a time sink such as a reputation grind, is reduced.

The thought process goes something like "Why is the developer making it so easy for these casuals to achieve something that I worked hard for, I spent more hours playing a video game than they did so i should be the only one with this special priviledge". This is the type of thinking that came up with the phrase Welfare Epics, which is named in such a way as to insult people that would wear them. We don't believe these people should be wearing Purple gear, they're not Hardcore enough to have that colour, because that colour is special and reserved for those of us who are unemployed.

You'll see the same thinking all over this forum, people who want the game to make sure they are special by including time sinks that cut content off from the majority of the playerbase. We have posters who lament for the glory days when 'such and such meant something', not because the such and such was difficult to achieve in terms of mechanical challenge, but because such and such was such a time consuming process that only 1% of the playerbase had time for it, making them unique.

It's a silly notion, MMO communities are alone in this regard for valuing Played Time over any measurement of performance. In any other multiplayer genre, if you had invested 300 hours into the game, you would expect to be demonstrably better at the game, more effective as a player than someone with only 30 hours of experience. Your play would speak for itself, and you would not need a game system to reward you with special coloured items or any form of bigger ePenis to prove it. Infact if you had 10 times the playing time of another player in say, a fighting game, and you weren't naturally a bigger deal, that would be considered fairly pathetic, and certainly not something that you would expect the game to fix for you by giving you a bigger sword.
  19. Konoko

I agree TeoH. I put a lot and I mean a LOT of time into Unreal Tournament 1999 edition but I was a ridiculously skilled player who was constantly banned off of severs and accused of Aim botting, cheating etc.. I actually used to laugh on TS all the time with my buddies about it. They'd be like Ohhh you get banned again you cheater! :) But my time spent made me good. Time spent in a MMO just to get "wellfare" gear is a silly game mechanic indeed. The only reason I even got involved in MMO's was because I really enjoy art and music and something that can take my mind somewhere else entirely. The music in MMO's is excellent and with computers getting more and more powerful the rendered worlds we see get more and more lifelike and beautiful to behold. I also got a bit tired of FPS games as nothing ever came out that was as good to me as UT99. With each weapon requiring a completely different skill set and organized team play being so crucial to victory it was just a great game.

Getting off topic a bit. The point is I think you should reward players for skill not because they can sit at the PC 10 hrs a day every day of the week.

Cheers

~ Koni

p.s. "my elin is orange she's orange because of the hatred and anger that comes from getting no gold weapon drops in 4 consecutive betas" - lmao