1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is stopping people from picking ONLY the Settler?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by αRomeo, May 23, 2013.

1. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Hello, I'm new.

I was wondering, after seeing the new devspeak, the one about Paths, what is going to stop people from picking ONLY the settler, because so far, that's the only class that REALLY affects the game world. And guess what, most people will want to affect the game world in some way, and it seems that the settler has a huge advantage in this regard, also, he can build speeder bikes? Awesome, I want to be a explorer, but if the settler has such power over the world, I have no reason to roll that path. I mean, I can go explore as a settler anyway, right?

So, what's the downside here that I'm not seeing, or upside to the other paths?
  2. Honour

Honour Cupcake

Explorers get bonus exploration areas and exploration oriented missions. Scientists learn a lot of the lore firsthand and can unlock/solve puzzles. Soldiers can get more combat related missions and open up boss fights and the like.

The upsides/downsides really are just about personal preference, while it's true that Settlers will be able to have temporary influence on the world, it's also true that their content will be more social and probably a little more relaxed, which some people may not prefer.
    Rumze likes this.
  3. αRomeo

While true to some extent, the settler still has speeder bike. I think in all fairness, the settler in that video changed a lot of peoples decision on which path to choose. Come on, he can build quest hubs as well, and buff thingies, who wouldn't want to be able to do that. Sure, the other paths sound cool, but all I am saying is, the settler seems to have the advantage. Difficult to judge after knowing so little, but I'd like to know more about say the scientist, would he be able to craft some stuff as well, contribute to other players that the settler isn't capable off? Explorer, can he like I don't know allow people to fast travel to different locations or something. Stuff like that, might imo, balance things.

And yeah, it's a matter of preference, it would still be sad to see zones overrun by settlers battling for a spot to build on, or, however it will work. I'm sure they have thought this out though. Also, it would help if all paths are connected and could somehow work together.
  4. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

Everyone gets mounts eventually I'm sure. The speeder bike shown in the video was an automated taxi, I don't think it was being manually controlled. Everyone benefits from the stuff settlers build anyway, I still want to explore.
    Sapien, MrDreadful and Malorak like this.
  5. Flunk

Flunk New Cupcake

Mostly because buildings only last about 10 min. Atleast thats what ive read on the forum.
    Malorak and Kataryna like this.
  6. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

I never even considered it. Sure it's fun to build stuff, but I'm a lore hound through and through. The idea of walking around and scanning things and opening up new journal entrys full of lore makes me squeee like a little girl. To say that one path is better than another is only true for yourself. You may see nothing but downsides in other paths, but others see the holy grail of gaming.
    MrDreadful, Baamz, Beamlight and 3 others like this.
  7. Zero713

Zero713 Cupcake

Player preference. Its all comes down to what people enjoy. Yeah, settler is awesome, and I will have one on an alt, but for my main I will probably roll an explorer because it fits my play style. I like making my way up impossible areas to check out the view or snag some screen shots.

That's the beauty of paths. Each one suits a style of play and adds an additional and fulfilling layer to the game play. Settler looks cool, and I look forward to grouping with one, but whatever will give you more out of the game is what people will roll.
  8. Cowboy

Cowboy Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly, I'd rather just group with a settler and let them do the work and let me benefit from it haha. It just doesn't sound like it fits my play style and preference. For my personal opinion and what I would like to play, I rank the paths:
    1. Explorer
    2. Scientist
    3. Soldier
    4. Settler
    So, to answer your question, player preference and choice... I often play with a group of friends and a couple of them are wanting to play the settler path. I'll just get the fun goodies from grouping with them and that's fine with me.
    MrDreadful likes this.
  9. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

Sure u can build speed bikes but I [As an explorer] can simply used my unlocked underground paths to jump right back to down... No to mention there is a shiny in a hidden cave only I will be able to find.
    WakeskaterX, Malorak and Kataryna like this.
  10. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

I think Roleplayers (Like myself) who enjoy really immersing themselves in the game and learning Lore firsthand (And actually reading the quest dialogue) will enjoy Scientist and Explorer immensely. Solo players will also enjoy these since you can do both on your own.

Soldier looks like it's for hardcore Raid players and group players, people who just want to kill really big stuff. Group players will like these too, since bigger groups means bigger fights.

And Settler looks like it's more for people who like to play in Clans or groups.

I don't think Settlers will be dominant at all.. If anything it will be Soldiers I think. Maybe Settler is just your calling?
    MrDreadful likes this.
  11. Shalanigh

Shalanigh Cupcake

Paths are based on different play styles, clearly, settler is the one for you. Some people would rather punch faces, explore everything, or study Nexus and it's mysteries. It's just what you prefer. :)
  12. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Yeah , as a role player I find settler very intriguing and explorer to boot . But some role players may enjoy the soldier path because their character is always looking for something to test their mettle.

Basically , paths are a plays the choice like classes and not an indication of what elder game content you want to excel in.
  13. Jackie1st

Jackie1st Cupcake

Hmm, well I guess to me the settler always looked a bit idk "Boring" I mean I love the idea of it and am happy to see one in the game, but I think I'd have much more fun rolling a scientist or an explorer. I guess that's what they expect to keep it balanced, player preference I mean based off this poll settler comes in third in what people want to play.
    http://wildstar-central.com/index.p...your-choice-today-poll.3396/page-5#post-76994

Also regarding quest hubs and such they stated that those generally take a few settlers working together to build them since they require so much supply, apparently this can also be accomplished by one player but it would probably take more time than it'd be worth.
    Also the settler buildings don't stay forever if another settler doesn't come around to upkeep it they degenerate away. (I heard the time 5 mins being tossed around but I assume in example.)
    So you're not just focused on building your own things you want to improve what others have as well.

They're trying to balance it with the other classes as well, scientists are the only ones who can fully complete all the lore, Explorers unlock new areas and well soldiers they uhh hit stuff I suppose.
  14. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I want to kill <REDACTED> so I'm still going soldier, but really, ASSASSINATION MISSIONS. 'nuff said.

Even if you bring bikes into the mix, they're either automated and come from taxi stations, or time limited. Eventually everyone will be able to get mounts, I'm sure.
    Berserker and Rumze like this.
  15. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Yeah everyone will get mounts - heck special mounts from path unlocks exist from what we know of soldier and explorer path info.

Soldiers actually sound pretty neat, from drive bys, to summoning mini world bosses to hold out missions to clear areas that will probably allow other paths access to what used to be hostile areas.

We are going to need a healthy mix of all I would think to fully have fun as a community.
  16. Berserker

Berserker New Cupcake

Honestly, they've done a fantastic job of making every path extremely appealing. Though I will main Warrior/Soldier, I will definitely be making characters to experience the content that Settler/Scientist/Explorer offers. This game just looks fun. No two ways about it.
  17. αRomeo

Sure, settler sounds the most interesting to me, and yeah of course there are people out there more interested in something like exploring. But, is no one wondering if one path may be slightly more overpowered then the other. What can you possibly gain by jumping on flowers/running a marathon or reading lore all damn day in comparison to building stuff, interacting with the environment and joining with other players while improving your crafting gradually and everything at the same time (did I mention speeder bikes people?)?

Like I said, I need more info, but the other paths need to have something that benefits the player and others around him/her/it. Like most of you, I'm interesting in all the paths, not just one, but I won't hesitate to pick the settler if it somehow gives me all the buffs, cool stuff, lewt, xp whatever, think most min/maxer's would at the very least agree with me there, no?

It looks promising, but that goes for so many MMOs today, being concerned doesn't hurt the game, doesn't destroy it. I'm not here on some evil quest to banish this game for all eternity. I'm not the dark lord himself of MMOs, no, I want the best like you, and I want things to work. They normally tend not to work very well when things aren't balanced, just saying.
  18. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly, I think Settler is the path I'm least interested in playing considering the other 3 options.

All the information coming out about the scientist path has me sold. A deeper look into lore that appeals to the achievement whores & completionists of the world. Wait, what? Yea, I'm gonna be studyin' the <REDACTED> out of Nexus and I'm not ashamed to say so!

And don't get me wrong, with my "planned" game time being less than it once was in my prime, establishing my main character will be important & alts will take a back seat as long as I can suppress the urge. That said, the urge will be strong with Wildstar considering the other classes/paths I'll be eager to play.

Soldier seems simply bad ass. Nothing wrong with supporting the grind to cap level with customized content that revolves around melting face. At least I won't miss it all with my scientist, I'll just make a lot of soldier friends.

Explorer is the greatest competition for my primary path. Fully discovering zones & venturing through the world less traveled has been my style for a long, long time. While the missions that have been revealed, and the secret caves & jump puzzles that have been shown are intriguing, I do imagine I'll be doing similar things while I'm running around scanning the <REDACTED> out of literally everything I come across. It's going to be epic.

In conclusion, I don't believe the Settler path will be the most popular. I just hope it's popular enough to fill my friends list when I need specific quests/content from a zone, or when I need a speed bike to town to empy my bags before I acquire a mount.
  19. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

I don't think the stuff the Settler can build will be permanent. As I see it, it will probably last for a while, maybe some minutes, maybe half an hour, or a couple of hours, and then disappear so another settler will have to build it later. So you're not getting anything more permanent from being a Settler than you are from any of the other Paths.

Explorer has the ability to open up for entirely new areas as I've understood it, which imho is a pretty big damn thing as well, something that can offer quite a lot in terms of playstyle. And I'm sure there will be the same for Soldier and Scientist.

I really don't think they would make one Path cover sort of everything. So far, Carbine has showed that they have a pretty good idea of game design, and making one path extremely superior to the others would be bad design on a so baffling level that I seriously doubt it's something we'll see.

As I've understood it from the last videos, Settler seem to be a good kind of support Path, offering buffs, faster travel and the like, where paths like Explorer and Soldier might offer up more in terms of adding actual content to play. Both have a value that shouldn't be overlooked.

As for the Scientist, it seems like it might be one of those slightly more specialized ones, where if you don't have an interest in lore and reading up on stuff, it's probably not for you, but if you do, it's amazing.
  20. αRomeo

Fair enough, it seems EVERYONE in this thread is interesting in every single path, excluding the settler, hah. If the final game will be anything like that, I'll be dominating maps with my pubs, buffs and quest hubs (oh and speeder bikes).