1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is stopping people from picking ONLY the Settler?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by αRomeo, May 23, 2013.

1. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

If players pick a path based on min/maxing then it will be the one with the strongest DPS/Durability/Heal increase not the most convinient one.
  2. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

:) unfortunately I suspect not.... The polls I have seen have the paths split just about equally...

And the social play, which the settler, offers is not to most people's interests, but then I like crafting, theory and farming..
  3. Caballera

Caballera New Cupcake

When SWTOR was still in beta, I remember reading about the different classes in that game, and thinking, "who the hell would want to play anything other then Jedi/Sith?" But when the game was released there were a lot of people that played Troopers or Bounty Hunters, Imperial Agents etc.. My favorite was Smuggler in the end. I think it will be the same with WildStar. While Settlers sound fun, cool and all that, I myself want to play a Scientist. I feel that fits my play style the most. My second choice for my main would be Explorer and then Soldier.

I do plan on playing multiple alts, also if this game is good, I plan on playing for a long long time. When I started play WoW I played from Original to CATA. I left shortly after CATA, (played Rift, then SWTOR) then went back just before Panada invasion. Then I left again to play Guild Wars 2, which I'm currently still playing.
  4. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not a huge fan of polls, especially since the people here do not represent the half of the player base that will be playing at release, at least I hope so, for Carbine's sake. But we will see. :)

At release of SWTOR, on the imp side, it was swarming with glowsticks. Reps had their share of spacemonks as well, and believe me when I say it, on my agent whenever something dropped it was mine, instantaneously, know why? Because I was the only one playing an imp in my guild, and it was very rare for me to see other agents. Bounty hunter was a little more popular, but not nearly as much as the glowsticks. But I think it has balanced a bit now, but those glowsticks are still overpopulated.

And I think the only reason why anyone wanted to play the bounty hunter was
    a.) It was easy to level​
    b.) OP​
    c.) Rare class, meaning easy to get loot.​
    d.) Fans of bounty hunters, maybe for the story? It was a lackluster I heard.​
  5. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Settler has the hardest job. We gain XP (or bonus XP) when people use our constructs, while the other paths simple have to do things on their own. It balances out in my opinion. Our path is more social and requires the participation of others for the utmost growth. If you're a solo'er, then that might not work out much, will it?!
  6. AgenecyWR

AgenecyWR New Cupcake

Well I want two characters, Explorer and Solider FIRST!
  7. Silvers

Silvers New Cupcake

I think it just goes to show, OP, that you are destined to be a settler :D. I felt the same way seeing the info, thinking "man, who wouldnt want to be this, they seem the most useful." I think polled my guild to find that i was the only one looking forward to being a settler :speechless:. Most people would rather play what seems the most fun instead of the most useful/beneficial etc. To you and I, we may see that usefulness as the fun in it, hence the social aspect of it.
  8. αRomeo

It seems like it, yes. :up:
  9. Awesomnius

Awesomnius New Cupcake

I just want to have a scientist Granok since it's such a weird combination. They're like the Hulk from what I've seen. All they want to do is "Smash". :p

I do want those settler bikes though.
  10. Kataiser

Kataiser New Cupcake

On the one hand, I'm playing Explorer because it sounds the most fun to me; exploration has always been my favorite part about video games, especially online ones. (I miss WoW's walljumping days - awesome times.)

However, given how on the ball the Wildstar team seems to be about most things so far, I have faith that the utilities of the different paths will be balanced well. I mean, almost everything we know about the non-Settler paths right now is just qualitative flavor stuff. In particular, none of us has much idea what practical benefits Explorer/Scientist will bring, AFAIK. I'm sure there will be some.
  11. Sektra

Sektra New Cupcake

I for one am excited about the Settler Path. In the old Star Wars Galaxies :( I played an engineer and had fun building houses, furniture, starships, and all kinds of resource extractors. It was fun. And very profitable. :D

So I'm definitely going to give this a try, at least as an alt.. Cause my main is gonna be a spellslinger explorer! Pew pew!

But seriously, I am really looking forward to build stuff again.
  12. Aladen

Aladen Cupcake

I do not mind, I'm Explorer :p
    But seriously. Perhaps the possibility of putting such fires by Settlers and thus gain free exp from other players, it is attractive to players. Or maybe it's just something universal, which in mmorpg yet it was not. Be the builder :)
    αRomeo likes this.
  13. Gryphon

Gryphon New Cupcake

It is great to see so many people not wanting to be a Soldier, I was worried. All the paths look fun. It won't be everyone just running around; KILL, KILL, KILL. I'll definitely have a Settler alt, but the Soldier sounds like it's right up my alley. Even though I usually solo in these games, I'm actually looking forward to small groups with other paths. I bet Soldiers might be in the minority, and handy to team up with for when the Scientist or Explorer does open that door.
    αRomeo likes this.
  14. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Not everyone picks races/classes/paths based on power. I'd be inclined to say majority of people go with the 'feeling'. Even if you are a serious raider, and extra buff really doesn't make a huge difference if you know how to play. It's nice to have, but by no means necessary. I don't find settler that attractive at all :p Explorer or soldier seem way more appealing :)
    Malorak likes this.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

To answer your thread title?

ME
  16. highfist

highfist New Cupcake

ok im only going to say this once! the speeder bikes that you see settlers with are a TAXI that they can build for people at certain spots so they can go from town to town.
  17. αRomeo

Few people have covered that already, still neat though? You will gain some xp from that. That's right up my alley! :p
    May god have mercy on our souls.

For sure, it will appeal to most Galaxies fans, since it apparently isn't as popular as I thought it would be, also after I've seen some more videos after creating this thread, other paths have become much more interesting and for sure I will try out at least 3, still not convinced with the Soldier path, but who knows.
  18. Tubesssbm

Tubesssbm New Cupcake

What I wanna know is who the hell is going to pick the Soldier class? Why would I wanna pick the path about killing things when so much of an mmo is about killing things anyway? How is leveling as a soldier going to be any different from regular leveling in any of the generic WoW-clones we've seen over the years? Is anyone in here interested in the soldier path?
  19. Level 9 Zubat

Level 9 Zubat New Cupcake

Personally I have no desire at ALL to be a Settler. Seems a little too...boring for me.

I'm sure they won't make any one path obviously better then the others; they're more about personal preference to your playstyle.
  20. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

I'm going to be healer so I figured Settler would be most helpful not to mention MMO's are bland without the social aspect. Otherwise I'd be playing a single player game.