1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is stopping people from picking ONLY the Settler?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by αRomeo, May 23, 2013.

1. Aari

Aari Cupcake-About-Town

As most people allready said, I also think that it's really all about ones personal playstyle.
    I want to crush waves of monsters and destroy an epic boss myself rather then building stuff around the world. So Soldier is what I will choose simply because it's what I like the most and what im best at.
  2. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

:cautious:

Bur seriously Tubessbm, I share your confusion, I mean, you are going to be killing stuff anyway, but I am sure that they see something appealing in this path, there are plenty of people that have commented here that they want the soldier as well, and in other threads that I've read. Guess I was way off when I wrote this topic... :notworthy:
  3. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

Hah, I like all of them. I will most likely main Explorer but Settler is a close second. Scientist is up there too. Soldier is kinda cool, I'll have an alt for that, but I'm most excited about Explorer.

It's just who you are! I'll have a stalker/expl, a healer/settler, and a engi(if thats one of the two)/sci and then probably my warrior/soldier :)
  4. Ricky_Starwind

Ricky_Starwind New Cupcake

You just have to ask your self, at the fork in the road...... do i want to see if i can get up that tree, what happens if i touch this pincone, did that just move, i think it moved $*#& it lets kill it or what, o i don't real care what we do i will follow you when you get here and to kill time you set up a camp fire and wait.

The path is how you play, there will be kill them all missions, and get there b/c you can missions or the town needs a new pool b/c someone pooped in the old one so help click on things around town. If you pick Exploer then you will get more, get here b/c you can missions but just b/c you get there it is not trying to eat you. Or you don't find out something, odd about the world. Might even find somthing that helps out the town, so it dose not fall in the the ocean or what have you.

Just find some buddys that fill in the blanks for you, if at the end of the day you love to just make things scream for there mommys, but have a sweet spot for back story, hook up with a Sci and kill the big fanged start ship trooper book worms that are at the keypad that he knows the password too. If you are a tomb raider raider but want people to vote for you on the next voice, them get a Set, so you can be were the people are, or when there other people find were you are, they remember b/c your buddy got them a bike, or buff hell both all the way out there in the middle of no were. This paths idea is gold, it gives you more of you, and then lets you be you with others not like you but like you, you like get it?
  5. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I think that problem would resolve itself. If people only play the settler not out of personal interest but out of some min/max instinct they might find that there might not be much for them to do, or that it simply isn't as fun for them.

Besides, scientists will unlock things for you, settlers can take you places, and soldiers can trigger public missions, so they too contribute to the world in different ways.
  6. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I think that's just a reflection of your personal playstyle, as others have said. Personally, I'm interested in Scientist and Settler. I understand how people might be attracted to Explorer, even though I had more than my fill of jumping puzzles in a couple of recently released games. But Soldier? I tend to shake my head when I think of that path, because it just sounds like more of the same things an MMO already provides. What's unique about more killing?

But then I talk to some of my guild members, people who I consider friends and whose opinions I deeply respect, and they're going on about holdout missions and how fun it will be to fight off waves and waves of enemies. In the end, people like very different things about MMOs, and I don't think everyone is going to be drawn to a path with as many non-combat aspects as Settler seems like it will have.
  7. DPSClass

DPSClass New Cupcake

I'm going settler, and my choice was made longggg before that video came out. That video just sealed the deal for me tbh. I actually think settler will be one of the most underplayed paths, like honestly..who wants to go searching for items to build stuff all day? (I DO lol!!!) but seriously, not alot of people want/like that kind of gameplay. Some like to see new things, go really high up on a map, kill mofo's, etc etc. Well, I want to see new things too (buildings), maybe even build them high up on a map as a sort of hidden plateau paradise bar and grill?, and of course, I'll be killing mofo's to get some settler items im sure of it. ;) See, it's all about what you prefer now enjoy this mini wall-o-text :inlove:!
  8. DJKido

DJKido New Cupcake

So I got a question. Will the settler have extra benefits when building their house. Also does anyone know if the paths can be used together to get bad ass gear and lore.
  9. Shoogli

Shoogli Cupcake-About-Town

I won't have a problem with paths since i'll have at least one character per path. So I'll experience it all :p !
  10. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

You must remember that normally questing mobs are not much of a challenge. The Soldier Path changes that, creating strong waves of monsters and in the end you can even get a mini-boss.

Or maybe you will get a challenge which will demand of you to kill monsters faster than you did before. Or maybe without taking any damage at all.

To me it sounds really fun if implemented well. I hate grinding boring, easy mobs, but give me a difficult pack of mobs or a tough boss and I will be all ears.

I won't roll a Soldier just at the launch of the game, though. I will have to find a class I truly enjoy fighting with and then reroll it as a Soldier so that I can master it.
  11. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

Considering none of those things are combat abilities, I don't think it's actually possible for any of them to contribute to it being overpowered. As for the rest it really just sounds like your play style matches up with your own and you're just assuming everyone else shares your play style (we don't).

Again, none of the things you're talking about have anything to do with min/maxing as they aren't combat abilities. Sure, paths have combat abilities, but they're not what you're talking about and we have 0 numbers to even begin to speculate which will be more beneficial.
  12. MoltenBear

MoltenBear New Cupcake

To echo what others have said, it's all down to player preference. I will probably be playing as a Settler from the get-go because I like to feel like I am contributing as much as possible and being a team player. Also, building stuff is awesome.

I doubt that there are any major perks that are restricted to one Path though. Mounts for example are likely available to all players regardless of Path. Aside from general playstyle I can't see Paths having much of an impact in combat or in a player's ability to perform their role.

Edit: Typo
  13. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Choice and personal preference. I don't like Settler at all. Speedbike or no, I'm not interested...
  14. FruityToon

FruityToon New Cupcake

Well, Settler is the only path I'm interested in:p I think they made each path for different players awesomely an there for pretty well balanced:p
  15. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Nothing stops everyone collaborating and actively choosing to play settler, no. However, the paths are (loosely) linked to a physiological study on how people play games, called the Bartle Types (covered in the Paths Epic drop, also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_Test) which identified 4 distinct types of play. So observations of human behavior state that not everyone will roll settler :p.
    αRomeo likes this.
  16. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

This is actually an interesting thread if only because devs have said that everyone gets a little bit of all the paths throughout the content which seems to imply that anyone can build at least some things in the environment? Like, even if you're a settler, you still get some holdouts, some jumping puzzles, and some datacrons, right?

So by this train of thought, surely there are some hubs that are universal and can be build by everyone, yes?
  17. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Huh, I'd never heard that, pseudo. They did say everyone benefits from doing other path's content, but I'd assumed you had to be with someone who had that path to join in.

From what I hear, Soldier is not just "more of the same," but unique missions. SWATs, Holdouts, assassinations: these are all new ways to play the game. In WoW, I love herding up masses of enemies and burning them down with my Death Knight. When playing my Rogue, I'll challenge myself to sneak in and kill only the named mob at the top of the tower. And really, who doesn't love bombing run quests?

I'm actually torn between Soldier, Scientist, and Explorer. I want to see all the corners of the map, find all the lore (datacron collector in SWTOR), and yes, I'm bat<REDACTED> psychotic. I soloed Archvillains in City for fun. Well, the easy ones, at least. Neuron smoked me four times before I gave up.

Settler is, in fact, the only one I don't care for. Speederbikes or grenades? Praise the Lord and pass the antimatter, please.
    Genev likes this.
  18. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

I wonder what my path as an Achiever would be then.
  19. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

If properly balanced, all paths will have a (small) impact on the world and will have their own bonuses to boot. I think it'd be cool to combine paths as well. For this reason I'm going to attune my path with my friends so that we can all have diverse ones to enjoy together.
  20. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

My guess is all 4 completely maxed out.
    αRomeo likes this.