1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is stopping people from picking ONLY the Settler?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by αRomeo, May 23, 2013.

1. LethalConcept

LethalConcept New Cupcake

Scientist
    MrDreadful and αRomeo like this.
  2. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

Well, before the video I was going settler. After the video I was going settler. That video didn't change how I felt!
  3. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

I have a feeling settler will be the least chosen path. I can't decide, I want to be them all at once! I hope the path system doesn't separate different aspects of the game too much. I like how in Guild Wars 2 I can go read lore, explore, do jumping puzzles, craft or kill things whenever I want. I hope in Wildstar I don't have to make a bunch of alts to enjoy all the game has to offer.

With that being said, it is a toss up between Explorer and Scientist for me. I may choose settler but I need more information on the path before I make my decision.
  4. Shogg

Shogg New Cupcake

Right now, definitely going scientist first. However I will have alts for each path. The backstory behind the game (especially if it has a "big mystery" like this one) is what drives me.

With the settler, I can see how not only building stuff for yourself, but for your guild/clan mates and even random people could be entertaining. The speeder bike doesn't REALLY interest me. First off, it seems like it is just an A to B taxi. Second off, so what? Engineers in WoW get special mounts, it doesn't mean everyone runs to play that specific profession.

Explorer is also very cool. Being able to find places that no other path can find, taking screenshots, finding new content is awesome.

And soldiers? Well, I can see how it's interesting. It's like Killception. You must go deeper into the killing. Using different types of weapons that other paths do not gain access to (even if it is just for a mission), being able to run in and kill some high muckitymuck, etc. Very cool. And it's like Xzibit says... "Yo dawg, I heard you like killing so I put some killing in your killing so you can kill while killing."
  5. GoutTheScout

GoutTheScout New Cupcake

The thing that keeps me torn between explorer and settler is that I foresee a point in time where I will have explored all the cool places to explore. At such a time the value of the explorer path will seem lesser to the greater replayability of the settler path which has that more social aspect to it. So I can see the OPs point to a degree in that regard, once all that there is to do has been done, what does something like an explorer or scientist have to offer you over the settler?

I suppose a cynic might say all content will become tired over time but I feel something like placing a bar down and drawing a crowd with your antics has a greater longevity than climbing up that mountain you've already been up or scanning that plant again.

Hopefully they are thoroughly considering how each path will remain interesting and useful during the "Elder Game" or else paths become something that only matter while leveling.
    Sonntam and αRomeo like this.
  6. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I'm seeing scientists usefull in raid instanced to possibly unlock additional bosses.
  7. Painguin

Painguin Cupcake

Well, settler is obviously going to be a popular choice among social people, but I personally am going explorer on my main. Some people don't want to sacrifice the fighting, the exploring, and the little parts of the lore for being a hero of the economy and building the rare vendors and collecting resources. But the fact that settler can make buildings, even if it is temporary, is very cool. I will definitely be making a settler, just not at first.
  8. Lipgloss

Lipgloss New Cupcake

Play-style, I won't be a settler because wasting in game time building things sounds terrible to me. Besides most structures breakdown rather quickly without proper upkeep. I'm sure all paths will be rewarding in their own way, pick the one that interest you, the "advantages" of one over another are negligible.
    Sonntam likes this.
  9. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

soldiers walk around killing anything they see ... and the hold outs look really fun!!!
    scientists can scan so many things building amazing encyclopedias of knowledge :D and all those puzzles + hidden doors!!!! treasure hunters anonymous :D
    settlers build stuff but knowing me i wont really use them so much ... taxis are great and i dont know if they have them but something like a buff station would be amazing!!!! but apart from that i dont see myself using any of it... walking around turning on lights and repairing roads ... seems like they are dustbin men and road engineers ....

explorers can go almost anywhere ... see that mountain peak? wanna go there ? you can (probably)

i personally want to go scientist because even though i dont actually read the lore i love finding hidden objectives and unlocking secret doors full of old eldan tech !!!
  10. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I have a feeling that if you get something like an additional boss from Scientist you'll get something similarly equivalent from each path in that raid, or that all the paths have to work together to do something. Like scientists have to solve a puzzle to get into a room where settlers build a jumping puzzle for explorers to get to the top of to hit a switch, and they also build defensive structures because the soldiers have a holdout while the machine is being built, and once it's built the explorers have to simultaneously hit a button on two sides of the room to open a door that gives you the boss.
  11. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

I think the settler looks very interesting and I intend to roll one, in time, but my main interest is exploring. I spent a lot of my time in GW2 doing the jumping puzzles and collecting vistas on top of the regular content.
    A settler can do things I can't do, but so can a scientist and a warrior. And you need me to get certain places.
  12. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

I don't care about the game world. I want the path that gives me the best perk, particularly for raiding if possible. If not, then the best perk for leveling, so I can get into raids sooner.

Which video are you referring to?
  13. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

My characters all have a theme. My main character for this game is going to be the rogue type i like to use.
    Now a sneaky rogue isn't going to build a Pub in the middle of town and draw attention right?

Looking at things without the role play perspective:
    • Soldier - For people that like to kill things
    • Explorer - for adventurers
    • Scientists - for lore lovers
    • Settlers - for people that like to make things.
    I think everyone could identify with atleast one of those options. All of which do not permanently alter the game experience either.
    Neurotic Cucpake and MrDreadful like this.
  14. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

You could be the mac donalds of wildstar!
  15. MrDreadful

This is all true. The soldier, while master of holdout missions, is also the one who gets the assassination missions.
  16. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

The important thing to remember is that Carbine Studios seems to be putting a lot of effort into making sure all four of the paths have things to do, things to contribute to group and world players, and special benefits that only they can take advantage of.

It may be difficult to divine what all of those perks are with the limited information we have access to, but do you really think that they intend for the Settler to be the only path that offers cool things for everyone's benefit?

With that said, I'm rather keen on the Explorer and Scientist paths. I have a feeling that the Soldier will be the least picked path, but that's only because (at least on the surface) it looks pretty dull and unexciting. The only info we really have about them is that they can summon an extra boss now and again. Yay? :)
  17. Diskord

Diskord New Cupcake

Aehm i actually love to kill things.
    Yet soldier still seems dull to me.
    Part of the problem might be that killing things, is what you do most of the time anyway.
    So it just seems like more of the same..
    MrDreadful and Neurotic Cucpake like this.
  18. MrDreadful

But this is a new and different type of killing!