1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is the mage class - Spellslinger or Esper ( so far)?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Xalon, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

In my mind, when someone says Mage, they mean WoW. When someone says Wizard, they mean DnD.
    Leiloni likes this.
  2. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

I think I'll settle on esper. Though they are much more functionally different, they are not based around burts of power, I dont know, maybe if they give more interesting abilities to spellslinger I will see. Esper however I am going probably because of the brilliant array of AoE :)
  3. Grimnar40k

Grimnar40k Cupcake-About-Town

if you're coming from WoW I'd imagine from what we've seen Spellslinger is sort of a Hunter/Mage/Shaman using traps/sigils/elements, and the Esper is more like a Priest/Warlock/Mesmer(GW2) with the sort of telepathic ESP "green lantern" themed skills along with things like illusions, phantasms, and horror type summons and pets/dots.

I'm using these terms very loosely just for the purpose of trying to relate to WoW since you mentioned "mage" and "paladin" I'm assuming. Wildstar will not have true pets but their pets will act like living active DoTs that can be killed from what I understand.

Just my personal opinion based on what I've seen in gameplay I'd say you're looking at Spellslinger. We've seen Frost, Fire, and Arcane shots along with a blink type ability.
    Leiloni likes this.
  4. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

Spellslinger is the only arcane magic user in the game thus far. Just so happens they use guns to "cast" rather then their hands. So that's as close to the mage in theme this game will get I think.

Esper is ESP powered which is a much more sci-fi. Heavily influenced by green lantern but focused on making nightmares real. So actually a bit darker in premise which may appeal to the Warlock/Shadow Priest crowd.

I can't really say which will "play" more like a WoW Mage, since this game requires so much more movement neither really should. But the Spellslinger has blink which is pretty iconic Mage.
    Habanero likes this.
  5. Esauya

Esauya Cupcake

Espers are more "magical" than Gun Slingers from what I've read up.

They use more Telekinesis and such whereas Gun Slingers have guns that just so happen to be able to harness elements. So they are more like hunters and instead of using like "frost shot" where they shoot a frozen arrow, because well...they can...it is more that the weapon itself possess the technology to harness the element to shoot it.
    Leiloni likes this.
  6. Quantum Wizard

Quantum Wizard Cupcake

Sigh... If youget technical their both mage's. Heck if you get technical so is a priest. But. if your asking which plays most like a WoW mage. It would likely be the Spellslinger, why because he has blink and will likely have more elemental abilities. Though I could see Esper have a sort of Polymorph. It doesnt matter about them though because in the end its how it plays right.
  7. Pulsefire

Pulsefire New Cupcake

I second the Esper = Priest, Spellslinger = Mage. If WoW stereotypes must be used in the equation.
  8. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

But a Spellslinger can heal....

so Spellslinger = priest?

Or maybe Spellslinger = MagePriest!

but an Esper can heal...
  9. Hy'Tchok

Hy'Tchok New Cupcake

... just to offer a non-wow perspective:

I think of Spellslingers as more of a gunslinger who just happens to use some magic (runes) to enhance their capabilities. Their main DPS attribute is Dexterity. Support is Wisdom... so... thief/mage.

I see Espers as the most magical of the bunch (incl Medic/Engineer). Their main DPS attribute is Magic. Support is Wisdom as well... so... illusionist (therefor imho, the biggest magic-user in WS).

But to the OP, my hunch is that the unconfirmed Medic will be paladin-esque (heavy armor & heals) so you may get your chance after all.
    Leiloni likes this.
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

A probably difference might be in the number of types of telegraphs that dominate their abilities. Some gameplay videos display the Spellslinger as being the master of long line telegraphs and narrow, but powerful cones. We'll just have to wait until launch to know for sure.
  11. Talksin

Talksin Cupcake

I tried to click that link
  12. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I smell necromancy...
  13. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

It's not necromancy. It's science!

Now bring that zombie granok head over here. The chua wants to attach it to a Rowsdower's fluffy rump. That way nothing can sneak up on it! It will be the Dominion's new weapon! A guard Rowsdower....with two heads!
  14. Pmizzrym

Pmizzrym Cupcake-About-Town

Warrior = Fighter
    Stalker = Rogue
    Esper = Sorcerer
    Spell Slinger = Ranger
    Engineer = Warlord
    Medic = Paladin/shaman
    Leiloni likes this.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Whatever a warlord is...
    Leiloni likes this.
  16. Grimnar40k

Grimnar40k Cupcake-About-Town

I still 100% disagree that Esper is anything like a typical mage or hunter as I've seen stated. Carbine has been very clear in saying the class was inspired by Green Lantern, yes the comic book hero.

More like a psycher, illusionist, summoner style of gameplay. From the known spells they summon illusions to fight, they summon a floating skull that acts as a dot, and of course their psyblades that they can throw and slash in a cone and even use a rain type of aoe.

Also someone above mentioned they'd probably have a polymorph type ability. I'd imagine more in line with a fear since they do more mental warfare with their opponents. In Wildstar this will probably just be a disorient though. Haven't seen "fear" mentioned before and probably for good reason. There's enough gamers that hate the mechanic already for Carbine to add it to Wildstar.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  17. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

Yup. They definitely can (and you guys did) be compared to WoW, but we shouldn't go to far with that. The more 'baggage' we push on the game from WoW or other MMOs the less enjoyable it can be and the more players will come to expect it to conform. The last thing we need is to have the majority of the player base start screaming, "If the Stalker is the Rogue, then why doesn't he have X ability," or "my class has Y ability, but that doesn't fit into the WoW archetype."

I love it when the devs talk about the classes being pieces of archetypes they liked being fused together. When analyzing the classes I like to look for how each class is different from those that came before it, or at least focus on the class lore. In regards to your question about Spellslinger/Esper archetypes, the biggest distinction is that while the slinger has magic, he's all about Tech. It's in his stats, his gearstyle, so he's a Techno-Mage, something much closer to class archetypes in anything BUT WoW, so that's why it is hard to pin it down. The closest WoW type this fits is actually an Enhancement Shaman. The Esper is all about summoning ethereal blades and creatures (even if they're all just temporary spell effects), so I'd nail it more as a type of Arcane Weaponsmith or Conjuror. All of that screams Elder Scrolls to me, but oddly enough that also fits closest in WoW to an Enhancement Shammy ^.^

Trying to force the WildStar classes into predefined WoW roles actually makes them sound LESS FUN than they otherwise do, and forcing them to each be a unique WoW role actually misrepresents their abilities and why they exist in this game.
    Nadili likes this.
  18. Xlugon Pyro

There's no mage in WildStar. The caster/light armor classes at least are truly unique.
  19. Valdictaes

Valdictaes New Cupcake

I see Esper more as the priest, and the Spellslinger more like a mage.
  20. Mordakai

Mordakai Cupcake

Well, Esper is going to be revealed on Wednesday, so we'll find out more then.

I view the class like GW2's mesmer, with illusions that can heal or damage.