1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is the mage class - Spellslinger or Esper ( so far)?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Xalon, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Welcome both of you to WildStar Central. Here is a link to the Personal Introductions Forum. You are not required to post there but doing so is a good way to meet some of our friendliest members. Tell Kat I said hi.

Now, in regards to the Esper and Spellslinger. Info from a few months ago described the Esper as a burst caster while the Spellslinger offers sustained damage. For healing, the Spellslinger mainly has direct and "line heals". The Esper focuses more on HOTs and AoE heals.
  2. Kay

Kay Cupcake

A few things to consider;

Who's using actual magic?
    The Spellslinger may use pistols, but magic is a part of them. From what I understand, you can choose to focus more or less on the magical aspect of the Spellslinger, so they might be a variable hybrid of mage/thief or mage/archer, with the ability to balance or be more one than the other. The Esper uses psionics; so flavor-wise, they're a sci-fi mage who specializes in screwing with people using illusions rather than real attacks (though they might as well be real, they are so convincing).

Who plays like a mage?
    This might vary from person to person, but from my understanding, the Esper plays more along the lines of a WoW Priest or Warlock; they deal burst damage, but focus on CC to keep enemies at bay. Meanwhile, we have the Spellslinger, whose abilities are more sustained, but a lot of them require you to aim. It'd be hard to equate them to WoW because the game has a more action-oriented playstyle; aiming is easier in WoW, if my understanding is correct, as even use of ranged weapons tends to act more like spell-casting in that one. Of course, once more, you can also vary the way you play some of the classes.

In the end, I think it's up to you to decide what fits your definition of mage better; me, I go with the Spellslinger, because they use actual magic. If you want the 'intelligent wizard' feel, you can always roll Spellslinger/Scientist; just because they can shoot a spec of dust off a fly's eyebrow doesn't mean they can't be booksmart!
  3. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

What do you define as a mage?
    Is it someone utilizing different elements? Then the spellslinger is your choice.
    Is it someone that actually has to stand still and cast something? Then go with the esper.

Honestly it's really hard to define the pure mage archetype. Destro Locks were playing pretty similar like mages, just like disc priests or elemental shamans (heck even some boomkins).

I think it is good that we cannot define one pure mage class. It's ok to get some inspiration from other games but translating those archetypes in a different way or maybe even completely create new ones is what makes class choice different and exciting.
  4. Kay

Kay Cupcake

With the revelations offered by some (from what I understand, with the permission of the creators of the game) I think I finally get it!

Spellslinger:
    - Clearly, this is a mage with some ranger tied in. While at first glance it seems more 'cowboy' than 'wizard', you quickly realize this is only the case if you're a pure DPS spellslinger and focus more heavily on physical attacks. The vast majority of a Spellslinger's repetoir are magical; especially in the support tree (which has AMPs actually called 'Magi' that bolster focus). The Spellslinger is, essentially, an archer/mage/priest/paladin combo, with variable overlap, but all-in all, it's a mage who uses guns.

Esper:
    - At first I thought this was a priest, but now I'm convinced it's more in line with druids. The Aurin Leader seems to use her Esper powers to commune with her people and the 'Mother Tree' of their homeworld, and it's abilities focus more on conjuring fears/dreams. Additionally, they can conjure pets and torches and such that taunt foes, heal allies, etc, as well as an ability to transform into a spirit animal and, with the right AMPs, continue casting spells for a few seconds after death. This makes Espers something of a combo of Warlock, Druid, and Shaman; the spiritual spell caster, in comparison with the more arcane Spellslinger.
  5. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

God we are all a bunch of WoW zombies. Release day will be exactly like that movie where the Flinstones and the Jetsons switch places. "which class is like pally??? <REDACTED> the meDICK!!!"
    TuxedoMask likes this.
  6. Kay

Kay Cupcake

First thing; what purpose does this comment serve besides just venting out your frustration at the mere existence of WoW?

Secondly, the WoW thing is merely a simpler system than that of, say, Dungeons and Dragons, which often had many skills repeating under many classes with the differences being arcane magic, divine magic, and psionics, and people are more familiar with WoW than they are Guild Wars or Final Fantasy XI and other such games.
  7. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

I'm not frustrated about the mere existence of WoW at all. 'Twas an excellent game.

It's comparing apples to oranges regardless.
  8. Kay

Kay Cupcake

Apples and Oranges are both fruits, my friend, and both go great with breakfast in fruit or fruit juice form.

Like it or not, it shares similarities to WoW. This is not really a bad thing, it's just the result of making a fantasy game (even if it is science fantasy). What should you care if people compare the two for the ease of transitioning and/or understanding?
  9. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth
    Esper seems like a Shadow priest (If you DPS as Esper) but with many more CC's, more like lock CC's but with Shadow Priest Burst (Mind Blast/Mind Spike/DP).

Slinger seems like a Mage, super mobile and all that except that instead of it being extremely bursty and mobile like how it is in WoW they made their version Mobile but very very good sustained and solid burst
  10. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

I'm not sure why you're stirring a non-existent pot. Feel free to compare A to B because of certain attacks and utilities. My personal opinion is that it may be more harmful than helpful to botch your view of Wildstar's class system; saying that one class emulates qualities of a certain WoW class is an incomplete assessment.

From what I've inferred from class dev talks is that they're trying very hard to deviate from the typical class structures found in other MMO's, so labeling and comparing to WoW classes is a disservice to the integrity of their vision. They want the trinity to be followed, but they don't want the specific tank class or the specific healer class mentality.

For the sake of conversation, there's no harm to discuss the similarities. I'm all for that. My first post in this thread is just poking fun at the inevitable release day firestorm in global chat. It's only natural for people to make comparisons to understand a new game. I remember picking a Priest in WoW as my first class because I remembered I loved healing in RO as an acolyte/priest.

And you're right, apples and oranges are both fruits, but they're still different fruits. Both Wildstar and WoW are MMO's, but they're different as well. We can both agree that oranges and apples have seeds though, much like how Engineers have pets like Warlocks. =P
  11. Kay

Kay Cupcake

You're the one who waltzes right in and throws a fit about a comparison, so you stirred the pot, my friend. You can't botch my view; I know the Spellslinger is not a cut-and-paste variant of the typical mage. He uses guns and his attack power comes from something other than an 'intelligence' based stat. I'm not pretending this is the literal 'mage' of WoW; I'm comparing them as far as their flavor goes. You seem to have it in your head that I'm trying to pretend this game is another; if I was gonna do that, I'd just play WoW and not waste time using another game to take it's place.

No one is denying them creativity - certainly they're doing something different, but certain elements are bound to remain. Fact is that Spellslinger uses arcane magic; thus, they will be equatable to mages. Esper might have a bit of freedom, but will be equated to mages, druids, shamans, and other such caster classes regardless. I'm certain the Devs had no illusions of abolishing these things entirely; simply breaking the mold.

And yet you came in here and started a little... fit? I don't know what you'd call it, it was just a tone of unpleasantness. Clearly you had a problem with it, and now I have no idea what it could possibly be now that you're saying discussing simularities is not bad. I'm at a loss.

They are different but they both have magic, aliens, advanced technology, forest-dwelling magic people... I'm not saying that WildStar is an exact duplicate.
  12. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satire
  13. Gamm

Gamm Cupcake

Im trying hard to not compare this game with any other game at this time. I believe that the game overall will be different enough that down the road people will be asking what class will play like an esper..
  14. achesoma

achesoma Cupcake

I would say SS most resembles the archetypal mage class. Due to the fact they have elemental and arcane abilities that are typically "magic" in origin.

With the Esper, I'd categorize more as the psionicist archetype rather than priest since it's focus is in mental disciplines. Traditionally, priest abilities are divine in origin.
  15. Kay

Kay Cupcake

I interpreted it (potentially wrong) as which class is 'spiritually similar' to the Mage class, rather than which class plays like it; technically, both of them do. Technically, all caster classes play the same, with the only question being what role you fill.

As I said, I could be wrong, but I interpreted it as more of a flavor thing.
  16. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

I categorize the esper as the esper. And I categorize the spellslinger as the spellslinger.

It's a new game, a new dawn, a new set of classes with unique abilities and completely different playstyles from anything you've played before.

Let these classes be their own thing. Because really, regardless of whether you let them be, they already are.
  17. Kay

Kay Cupcake

Why do people keep saying this? It bothers me because it strikes me as some way of saying 'I don't want to feel like this game has anything in common with other games whatsoever in the least thank you shut up' more than anything else. Rather you like it or not, there are connections and familiarities. Yes it's a new game... using elements we've seen one hundred thousand and one times before, just in new ways.

Yes Spellslinger is a Spellslinger... which is an arcane mage with guns. And Esper is the Esper... which is a psionic who uses illusions. You can try to pretend they're entirely unique all you want, but the fact remains they are all built from existing tropes and ideas that predate the game by long periods of time.
  18. Crepitus

Crepitus New Cupcake

whoude have been awsome with a ninja