1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is wrong with the Questing?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Bloodclott, May 9, 2014.

1. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

Look closer at your quest box and pay attention to what you're seeing. They're spearated by categories.
    Zone quests, Regional quests, Tasks, etc
  2. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Gotta say after games like SWTOR and GW2 that certainly had many flaws but had strong story-driven quests, Questing in W* is the only place that doesn't feel like Carbine pushed things forward. Now, I don't think the questing in W* is bad, its just in line with the norm for MMOs. They could use some bigger fonts and better paragraph delivery, seems the text is often obscured by name plates or something. I also understand their decision to go the direction they did. Those long, well-written cutscenes slow you down. Not everyone is into to that.

I have found that exhibiting a little self-control helps to stave off that over-whelming feeling. Just don't pick up every quest when you pass it. Stick to certain quest-lines and then go back and pick up others as you complete each.

It would be nice to have the option to completely disable Challenges with an on/off switch.
    Bnol likes this.
  3. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

You bring up good points and I agree. My main problem with the complaints is that as you said this is the norm questing wise for MMOs and you gave 2 examples of games that focused to much on questing and not enough on anything else yet people still use those games as examples that ''the questing sux''.

If anything? The only game I think that managed to stray away from the norm was City of Heroes/Villians but that game was a niche game (Still one of my old favorites though)
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I've been doing this and it has made things better for me. Little bites. Nom nom. It feels like I have a little more time to read through the quests themselves too. Tomorrow is going to be my last day to play around in open beta. The weekend will be a little busy for me. Yet I think that the little bites gives me the pacing that I want. One arc at a time.

A large part of City of Heroes was instanced group content with relatively little open world content. Large teams of eight people. Then some of the taskforce content (kind of like adventures in Wildstar) could take six hours or more to complete. I can't really think of a game that had as much instanced content. It's probably why I've liked the adventure and shiphand missions in Wildstar.
  5. Domi Dayglow

Mmrph. Double post accident.
  6. RavenWind

I think Carbine kind of suffered from their own success here. They made so many other aspects of an MMO feel new and improved it makes questing stand out as same-old-same-old. But realistically, what could one do for questing? I definitely agree its silly to complain about it.
  7. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

It's the fact that questing is a "necessary evil" that really discourages me from wanting to play Wildstar at all, IMO.

Yeah, endgame is fun. But the idea that I have to spend 50+ hours doing rather mundane activities in order to get there is an absolutely exhausting thought. By the time I've put 50 hours into any game that isn't an MMORPG, I've played through almost all of the content of that game and have had all my jollies and will likely move on. The idea that I have to put in this much "work" just to start truly enjoying the game is kind of crazy.

And what are the VIABLE alternatives? PvPing to 50? That would probably take 4x as long. As much as I enjoy PvP, I don't enjoy 200 hours of really unbalanced matches or 200 hours of one map over and over and over and over again.

Look, most of us have been playing MMORPGs for YEARS. Fighting mobs in the open world is just easy. AABABCADE(maybe)A, dead. Repeat another eighty billion times. Don't forget that in Wildstar, you can only add a maximum of 5 letters to that combination at any time. Still blows my mind that they even acronym-ized this feature as if they wanted to streamline what is probably the dumbest aspect of the game into some hip acronym.

I'm sorry but the mobs you find in the open world are NOT difficult to kill. That's why questing is such a drag. Move out of some red zones, keep an eye on your health, and you're perfectly fine. It is absolutely nothing like PvP where people are homicidally hunting you down and pouring every ounce of energy they have into killing you. THAT is the only challenge that really remains for a seasoned MMORPG player.

I figured you might be interested in the perspective of this game from someone who isn't a homer on Wildstar. I saw people say things like "my only worry is that the interface might suck!" Really? You're not worried that this particular genre is so oversaturated, and the average gamer has sunk thousands upon thousands of hours into this type of game and just doesn't find it interesting anymore? I've played lots of other games with lots of different types of BGs, different types of raids, different types of arenas, etc. Turns out that after playing for years, they are still just BGs. They are still just raids. They are still just arenas. Yes, there was a time that playing in a BG or a raid or an arena was really fun and interesting, but those things don't stay interesting forever. And I don't have the confidence that they'll stay interesting enough in Wildstar to really keep me playing.

You can react to this with "if you don't like it, don't play it", which you don't need to say because that's likely what I will do. But you should know that I am far and away NOT the only person who feels like this. All I'm saying is that you really shouldn't be genuinely surprised if Wildstar goes the way of other MMOs like Rift or Tera or whatever, where there were a decent number of players at the start and most of them left, leaving the games with a nice tight-knit community but a much smaller community than the game hoped for.
  8. RavenWind

Mal (Love the Shrike btw) there are also people (millions of them in fact) who like the QUEST aspect of MMORPGs. Quests kinda come with the RPG part otherwise it would be a bit like reading the first and last chapter of book and skipping the 35 chapters in between.

Now, your point is very valid there are plenty of folks who are tired of MMORPGs and I would certainly steer them away from W*, but I don't see how ending your discussion with "Doom and Gloom for Wildstar" is either constructive or on topic. So back to the topic...What's wrong with questing? How would you improve it (In W* or any other MMORPG)? Your solution seems to be "do away with questing". But how do you do that (especially in an RPG , or any story driven game)? Even Mario Bros had questing way back when ..."Rescue the Princess from King Koopa". Even First Person Shooters have quests, they just call them missions or objectives.

Surely you can give a better answer than "Questing Sucks" and "Wildstar will die a quick death".
  9. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

But not Main quests. Who cares if it is zone or regional quest?
  10. Gronky

You are correct in what you are saying. I hope that MMOs in the future will make questing a difficult experience no matter if you play solo or in group. But not just difficult but also interesting. Maybe something like DarkSouls (though it may be too much).
    For WildStar as it is somewhat to late for that I suggest they mark main quests as such so we can skip all those less important. Also they should create some training ground where we could experiment with max level fully geared characters, so before we start questing we can find out which class we like the best. This way we would not have to level twice. (Btw, I like levelling but I'm not sure I want to level to max level to find out I don't enjoy my class).
    To be honest current MMOs won't live for long and will be replaced by single player games which will evolve into MMOs without compromising on single player qualities. I think here about games like Destiny and The Division. They are semi MMOs but they may evolve into full MMOs together with internet speed. Just thinking aloud here. I didn't actually analyse it much....
  11. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

Zone quests and regional quests are essentially the main quests. Tasks are effectively the side quests.
    So again, they are separated for you.
    And you can even tell before you pick it up.
    {!} is for important quests
    ! is for unimportant side quests
    Just because they didn't name them "Main" and "Side" as you would have apparently prefered doesn't mean that you can't figure it out by paying attention to the world around you.

As to making questing harder, once you get past level 15 and out of the starter zones, things progressively get harder. But since you continue to stay in the low level zones and aren't getting a character to a point where you'd see that.... you haven't seen that yet.
    And you certainly don't need to get to max level to decide if you like a class or not. You should be able to tell after just a few hours if you like a class or not.
    Livnthedream and Gronky like this.
  12. Domi Dayglow

I still liked the idea of colorcoded quests in the quest tracker. They list things like regional story and so on, but I like colors.
    Gronky likes this.
  13. Gronky

Hehe, it's nice to know. Good for WS then. Thanks for info. I will be advancing my warrior from 11 to 30 starting tomorrow.
  14. Gronky

I'd like that too. But I can't believe Carbine didn't consider it. There must be a reason behind them not being color coded.
  15. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

This is why there is this awesome thing called Houston! :p
    Gronky likes this.
  16. Domi Dayglow

What's houston?
  17. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

The ui coding tool. I haven't messed with it personally, but a guildmate who knows scripting, but not lua, was able to dig in and make some little stuff. From what I understand Lua isn't particularly hard to learn either. Ie if its the kind of change you really want, it doesn't take much for you to learn how to make it yourself.
  18. RavenWind

19. SDR

SDR Cupcake

I think people who have played MMO's alot want something new on every aspect of the game while for alot of things this is just not gonna work. Questing is fine the way it is, it works so keep it.

I personally enjoyed alot of the quests, though I feel there should be some more killing and less gathering quests, but then again I only played untill level 11.
  20. Domi Dayglow

Not many games have a quest (or challenge) where you lick LSD caterpillars or help lonely Rowsdowers find love.