1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is Your Intended Main- As of Now?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by ImmortalExile, May 7, 2013.

?

What Class Will be Your Main?

1. Warrior

16.8%
  2. Esper

23.5%
  3. Spellslinger

27.3%
  4. Stalker

16.3%
  5. "Crook Wielder"

6.1%
  6. "Rifle Wielder"

10.1%
  1. Solarthermal

Solarthermal Cupcake

Thank you. I see it on official page now. Did they say the last 2 class roles, or this that speculating?
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I believe they did say that each class would have two roles. Beyond that it's all speculation, but reasoned speculation.

The two new classes could both be healers or both be tanks as well, but both will also be DPS no matter what. I along with most others suspect that the new classes will be a tank/DPS and healer/DPS.
  3. Solarthermal

Solarthermal Cupcake

There are already 2 tank and 2 healer. That seems sufficient to me.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Perhaps it is, but I believe Carbine is giving each class 2 roles so that there is no conflict between hybrids and pures like there is in WoW. Some of the players didn't understand or perhaps didn't care how making pures better at DPS than hybrids would adversely affect the game, not to mention go against Blizzard's whole design philosophy.

However, giving every class two roles also helps reduce dungeon queues and the search for tanks and healers in general since everyone will be able to be one or the other. It allows players to be more flexible in the roles that they play so that players can group up more often and improve the overall enjoyability of the game. I approve of Carbine's decision, frankly.
  5. jackashflash

jackashflash Cupcake-About-Town

You are probably right. People will start crying about how pure DPS should do more dps, despite the fact that a hybrid spec'd dps can only dps too.

I don't think I would blame that on the WoW players though, that was blizzard's design philosophy. At first their philosophy was to have hybrids within like 20%, and even today their is a supposed 5% hybrid tax.

WoW balance is actually nowhere near 5%, even amongst the pure DPS though, so it is sort of a wash. This is how WoW works, if you want to be subpar be a shaman. If you want to be above par, then be a rogue or mage or warlock.
    Zadok likes this.
  6. Xlugon Pyro

I don't agree with the hybrid tax though simply because nobody would ever take hybrids onto any serious raid team roster because pures would be better. I'm not aware of any hybrid tax existing during my time raiding in WoW and I'm glad it stayed that way. The whole concept of a hybrid tax is incredibly unfair given that specs cover only one role and would ruin the fun of the game for several players. Pures can put up with having to be pure DPS. Mages have been amazing for a long ass time so they've no right to complain. Rogues and hunters have been really solid too.

Thankfully Carbine is nipping this issue in the butt and eliminating the crybaby pures lobby. Ugh, it made me mad every time I saw them complain about being replaced by hybrids even though it almost never happened.
  7. FoolishLobster

FoolishLobster Cupcake

Hybrid tax is there because most of the time those hybrids bring something very beneficial to the group/raid, while pure DPS bring something beneficial only to themselves most of the time. If a hybrid did as much damage as a pure AND still brought their group benefits no one would bring a pure (unless of course a situation in a fight would require a specific class or make the encounter easier). Unfortunately most people are still in the mindset of NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS BIGGER NUMBERS and yeah that kills bosses, but there's (obviously) so much more to a fight than just damage. I think it's fair that hybrids take a hit to their damage to balance out the buffs and utilities they bring to a raid.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

It's not fair at all when that isn't the case though.

Each class role should be viable enough in a raid setting that said class/spec will always be desired in a raid to the extent that it is on par with every other class/spec in its role. If hybrids can provide something that is THAT beneficial to the raid, I would agree but the balancing of the game would need to make sure that nobody gets left behind because of their class/spec.

I'm using WoW here as a reference though. From Wrath onwards, every class was given the ability to fill their roles in a raid setting. Pures already could do this since all they did was DPS, but then druids, paladins, and shamans emerged as real contenders in the DPS race. However, outside of a few small perks like Bloodlust/Heroism and pally/druid buffs, these "hybrid" classes had nothing else much to offer the raid compared to a pure from a DPS perspective. Since Wrath, classes have become even more homogenized but even then there were the cries by pures that it wasn't fair that hybrid classes could DPS as much as them even though hybrids didn't bring anything amazing compared to pures to the raid. They were mad that a class could do as much DPS as them and could be a tank or healer as well simply by respeccing between fights and swapping gear. I can see where they come from, but any hybrid tax that doesn't give hybrids a significant benefit elsewhere in the raid will force hybrid players into being healers and tanks only, which several hybrid players like myself play to be DPS primarily, not tanks or healers. In WoW, the hybrid tax is simply unfair and would only punish hybrid players with no other way to make up for such a loss in a raid environment.

That said though, what Carbine is doing with Wildstar effectively eliminates this debate and I'm happy for it. Everyone has the option to be a non DPS so in effect, all classes are hybrids.
  9. _decayed

_decayed New Cupcake

Right now, Stalker/Explorer. Not sure of the race yet, but I'm leaning towards Draken. I'll have to see what the final race is though.
  10. jackashflash

jackashflash Cupcake-About-Town

Human Spellslinger soldier
  11. Gargantua

Gargantua New Cupcake

As of now, I think Granok and the class is obvious. Path I am still too unsure about, but I think it would either be explorer or soldier. I really like the back story of the Granok and I was going for a tanking class anyway so it seems like a great fit.
  12. Vyper

Vyper New Cupcake

I plan on going Warrior/Explorer. I am going to be a tank, and I really like how the explorer path looks.

Probably going exile, but that will be based on where the people I play with go.
  13. Ergilion

Ergilion Cupcake

99% Sure i'm going to create a mechari warrior as my main.

Now if only they would reveal the last classes and races... 8)
  14. Painguin

Painguin Cupcake

15. Gôre

Gôre Cupcake

As of now, I think I'll be going Human Esper/Explorer. I've only been following this game for a week or so, though, so that may change. Spellslinger and Stalker Tanking have me intrigued as well.
  16. Hauntie

Hauntie New Cupcake

For my main, I want to go Stalker. the idea of rogue tanking is awesome, something I used to do all the time for fun and profit (there was no profit) back in WoW. Evasion tanking has always been a fun way for me to play rogue classes in games. Now I can play my preferred class style and tank!

And of course be a sneaky assassin in my off time.

I'm waiting to see what the final race selection will be, but as it stands, Aurin.
  17. DarkenChao

DarkenChao New Cupcake

I will be main a Spellslinger if there is Hybridization I will be Dp/heals but if not I may be a DPS depending on what my guild will need. I just think it is funny Draken with guns. :3
  18. Sikarus

Sikarus New Cupcake

So far I want to br a mechari. But I think I have to wait to see the rest of the classes. I want to be an explorer for sure though
  19. Gôre

Gôre Cupcake

-Hauntie

I'd love a pure evasion tank as well, but games always seem to veer from the concept due to the inability to take a huge hit or multiple huge hits. The Assassin/Shadow in SWTOR was supposed to be the same way, and I was stoked, but they ended up putting in more mitigation and making it more "tanky", bringing it in-line with the other tanks (+/- 5% on mitigation, evasion, etc...) I digress, I'd roll a stalker if it was a pure evasion tank.
  20. ziddersroofurry

ziddersroofurry New Cupcake

I won't vote, since there are still two classes missing BUT if there's a healer class, I'll definitely be going for a healer. I used to main cleric in Everquest, and I've got almost 1600 hours as medic in TF2, I love healing people :inlove:
    Gôre likes this.