1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What MMOs have you played?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Fate Flyer, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

My first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies, which I played when it came out in 2003 (so I would have been 16 at the time). I absolutely fell in love with it! I had a blast as a Wookie Creature Handler. I loved my pets. :inlove: I continued to play on-and-off even after the NGE, though it was never quite the same. I still own the original and the Collector's Edition with all the expansions and will always keep them to look back on.

I played The Matrix Online for a little while and got kind of into that. I don't really remember what I was, but I believe I was a healer of some sort. I had the most fun jumping up super high on buildings though!

World of Warcraft I believe came next, and I've played that on-and-off ever since its release. It's the one that obviously has captivated most people's attention and kept them coming back. I had a couple of characters that I played most - a Worgen Restoration Druid and a Gnome Discipline Priest. I later played a Pandaren Mistweaver Monk, which I thought was a lot of fun and super crazy easy!

Lord of the Rings Online was really great before they made it Free to Play. My main was an Elf Rune-master, which was a really perfect class for me, being that I love magic and pets. I had a lot of fun roleplaying in that game too. It was just a beautiful game. Minstrels were really cute and neat, and I had a Hobbit Minstrel that I enjoyed as well.

I played a tiny bit of Guild Wars, Champions Online, Age of Conan, and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I got into The Secret World for awhile and really enjoyed that, minus all the bugs. I was a healer that had a shotgun and a pistol, I believe (I switched around my spec a few times). I was definitely Illuminati all the way! I really liked the idea of the factions in that game and that all the urban legends and whatnot were true but were being kept secret by the governments. Being one to be intrigued by conspiracy theories, this game seemed right down my alley. I eventually stopped playing though once GW2 came out.

My latest MMO is Guild Wars 2, and I really like it probably more than any MMO I've played minus perhaps WoW. I love all the innovative ideas they implemented, but I do wish there was the Holy Trinity, as I love having a designated role to play and therefore feeling more needed. I do like that everyone can revive fallen players though, and that you can all be on the same quest without stealing things from one another, so the community feels so much more friendly because of that.

Obviously, the next MMO I play is going to be WildStar, and I can't say I've ever been this excited for an MMO before! I am already so devoted to it, and I really hope it lives up to our expectations, but from everything I've seen, I know it will. :)
    Aheadache likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well i won't say what i liked from every single game, would take me too long:

(listed in any order)
    1. DCUO
    2. WoW
    3. GuildWars (not the second one, it disapointed me too much to even play it for a while...)
    4. Dragon Nest
    5. The Secret World
    6. LOTRO (lord of the rings online)
    7. Runes of Magic
    8. Eden Eternal
    9. Forsaken world
    10. Dynasty Warriors MMORPG
    11. Wizard 101 (since the kid next door played it :oops:)
    12. Conquer online
    13. Aion
    14. Fiesta online
    15. Allods
    16. Flyff
    17. Maple Story (yeh i know :cry:)
    18. Cabal
    19. Pockie pirates/Ninja (don't know if you consider those as MMO's)
    20. League of Legends (mmo?)
    And alot more Korean/Japanese MMO's of which alot don't have an english version i think.
    I can go on for a while even tho i can't seem to remember each game that i played...

I mostly play healer first then tank and normally i aint a dps! :D love to try out as many games as possible ofc ;) hoping that a gem is between them. Well Wildstar BE MY SHINING GEM!!!!!
    Elsie and Aheadache like this.
  3. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Early browserbased clan war /faction games:
    Swirve Utopia
    FaitH

Games I reached max level group/raid content (tried to add up to 3 features I really liked in the games):

EverQuest - raiding, epic questlines (crafting and weapon), flag questlines (access gates).

EverQuest II - chronomaging/mentoring, housing, guild features (administration, guild hall, guild amenities, guild window, guild voice chat).
    Outside game features: ingame video recording for youtube - player studio and SOEmotes sounds interesting too.

World of Warcraft - dungeon/raid finder, secondary crafts (archeology, fishing), addons.
    Outside game features: Authenticator, Scroll of resurrection, Refer a friend, Battletags (though restricted to regions :-/)

Rift - dynamic zone events (craft, pve, pvp), multispec class/soul system, public/private group/raid feature.
    Outside game features: Authenticator, social media implementation.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - class storylines, companions, pvp warfronts.
    Outside game features: Authenticator

Second Life - social 3D network sandbox, player content creator, character creator/customization.

Games I have not reached max level/elder game/group content in:
    Vanguard - diplomacy, crafting, tutorial island
    The Secret World - quests (limited handholding and investigation puzzles)
    Allods Online - zonewide quest updates in raid.
    City of Heroes
    Perfect World International
    Shayia
    Dungeons and Dragons Online
    Age of Conan
    Path of Exiles

Some of the last batch I never did get so far into that I experienced features, I found interesting. Not saying they did not have any that would have hit my radar, but I just never got that far.
    Aheadache and Fate Flyer like this.
  4. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

SWTOR- First MMO. Raided casually but spent most of my time in pvp. Great story, the endgame wasn't great. pvp 1-49 was more fun than the lvl 50 pvp.

Firefall- MMOFPS - in "closed" beta but it is easy to get keys to get in. The mechanics of the game are great and polished. I can see the instanced pvp in the game making it as a e-sport. the PVE does not have a lot of content currently but they are adding to it in stages. I used to follow the updates of the game more, but GW2 then Wildstar have diverted my interest.
    I would say if a person likes MMOFPS with PVE content this might be the game for them.

Guild wars 2- My game of choice currently. I am in a WvW guild and that is the aspect I enjoy the most and where I spend most of my time.

Planetside 2- MMOFPS - After this game I don't want to play area based shooters anymore. I was always a person who liked objective based maps over TDM or DM maps and this is that on a larger scale. If I have more time I would devote more of it to this game, but GW2 is taking up most of my time. TR4LIFE! :p

Tera- My firend was kind enough to let me play it with her account. I made a chubby cat person hunter. That was the best thing in the game for me lol. I did not like it.

TSW- played in the free weekend thing they had. The combat was bad so I stopped playing after a few hours.

City of Steam - Browser based. The steam punk theme drew me in, but the slightly top down view wasn't for me.

2 I can't talk about :ninja: :p

I think that is everything.
    Aheadache likes this.
  5. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

When I think back it all started for me with DAoC. Lots of hours put in MMOing. I hope there will be many more with Wildstar.

When I met my wife, I got her hooked on DAoC and she has been MMOing with since then. (Trick to get her hooked was to let her play my Armsman in a field of gray mobs, she was mowing grays down and fell in love with the game. She rushed home and bought the game.) She too is excited about Wildstar.

DAoC
    SWG
    Guild Wars
    GW2
    EQ II
    WoW
    LOTRO
    Vanguard
    City ofHeroes
    City ofVillains
    Age of Conan
    RIFT
    Aion
    Warhammer Online
    Star Wars TheOldRepublic
    Firefall beta
    DCUO
    DDO

BF3 lots of hours between MMO's
  6. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Only going to mention the MMOs I've been really involved in (1 to 4 years solid endgame).

GW - most incredible skill synergy I've ever seen. Something genius about it.
    WoW - great raid content and the ability to really make your character feel powerful
    AION - could have been the best MMO ever, but was poorly published in NA/EU. In Asia this game is developing into a really beautiful experience.

Other MMOs I've only played a few months or so and left for whatever reason.
    Elsie likes this.
  7. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

Everquest 2 - By far the best MMO i've player so far. 6 years of it, raids were amasing, contested, raids, avatars were extremely enjoyable to me, onyl game i've played were i top 10 #ww mattered to me.

Age of Conan - was next, guild left EQ2 because of endgame burnout, got to endgame, kept at it a little then we all quit.

WoW - Spent my next longest period of time at any MMO there. Endgame, raids from Lich king onwards all done. Got sick of it just before the Panda's!

SWTOR - Played to endgame, completed all raids, geared but just not enough to hold me- didn't hold most of my guildies either, we left for TSW.

Diablo 3 - Completed story, re-did it on Nightmare (the unlocked hard one if thats the name - i forget tbh). Not doing that farming <REDACTED>. Haven't touched it since.

TSW - Awesome game (anyone who hasn't played it, do so, its now F2P) lack of raids made me leave, content updates were great but it was only a few hours to complete and i was decked out in BIS so nothing else to do.

GW2 - What im currently playing, if you call logging in daily to do the daily and logging out "playing".

I also played to some extent - be it a long period or not (i honestly can't remember)

Vanguard
    GW1 (didn't play this much at all)
    Rift - Hated it
  8. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

*listed in no order as i have a horrible memory concerning dates*
    1) Earth & Beyond : loved it, only scifi mmo I've played that i enjoyed.
    2) FFXI Got tired the horrible racism in the game
    3)City of Heroes (later City of Villains as well) A great lady in her time, sad to see her go
    4)WoW 8 years of griefers, trolls, powertripping GMs and elitist pricks killed it for me
    5)Champions Online Quit before the 30 free days were up
    6) Star Trek Online two words: ground combat.
    7) Neocron: i dont remember what it was like, still have the cd though
    8) Entropia (...kinda counts) too much work, not enough fun
    9) Matrix Online: shut down a few days later if i recall
    10) FFXIV: SWEET LORD THE BUGS
    11) Tera: the gvg setup killed it for me. Also, creepers. If you play popori or elin, you will meet some VERY... *cough* unusual people
    12) Guild Wars: at the time, everyone i know outleveld me, then lived in pvp, i got bored soloing and quit, recently picked it back up for unlockables for gw2
    13) Guild Wars 2: started in early launch, still there, still enjoying it mostly
    14) Rift: quit pretty fast, it's wow with racing stripes. Yano that kid in your school that DESPERATELY wanted to be like the cool kids ? Rift is that kid.
    15) Swotr: Left before the trail was up. I really don't think i need to explain why, though the space combat was fun :X
  9. TheBee

TheBee New Cupcake

Ooh ooh! me next! :D

1. Ultima Online - The first one officialy. I liked it but it never really hooked me

2. Dark Age of Camelot - The first one that hooked me. DAoC got its claws into me. I loved the RvR combat and RPing with my guild. Up till my guild kinda faded out on me.

3. City of Heroes - CoH was my absolute hands down fav. Played it from Beta to the day the doors closed. Had some great times here. Very sad it's gone and I'm hopeing Wild Star can fill the void it left in my heart :)

4. WoW - On again off again. It always seemed like I should really love it but I always get bored :/

5. Star Wars: The Old Republic - Love Jedis but everybody played Sith :(

6. Guild Wars 2 - Currently playing this.

I've played alot more as well but not long enough to be even worth mentioning.
  10. Gangrel

Gangrel New Cupcake

In no particular order

1. City of Heroes
    2. Exteel
    3. Dungeon Runners
    4. Tabula Rasa
    5. Guild Wars
    6. Guild Wars 2
    7. Auto Assault
    8. Aion
    9. Lineage 2
    10. World of Warcraft
    11. Lord of The Rings Online
    12. Dungeons and Dragons Online
    13. RF Online
    14. Champions Online
    15. DC Universe
    16. Star Wars Galaxies (Just after the NGE came out)
    17. PlanetSide 2
    18. Star Wars: The Old Republic
    19. Eve Online
    20. The Secret World
    21. Rifts
    Probably a few more, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

*edit* Will probably add more as I remember them!
  11. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Perfect World. Aika online. Aion. Age of Wushu. The Secret World. Tera. SWTOR. Age of Conan Unchained. Allods Online. Bloodline Champions. LoL. Champions Online. DC Universe Online. Eden Eternal. Ether Saga Online. World of Warcraft. Guild Wars 2. Flyff. Forsaken World. Grand Fantasia. Heroes of Newerth. Iris Online. Jade Dynasty. Legend of Edda. Mabinogi. Microvolts. RaiderZ. SMITE. Troy Online. Firefall. Dofus. Wakfu.

Just uhm.. off the top of my head haha.
  12. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

I'll try to put them in chronological order:

1. Ultima Online
    2. The 4th Coming
    3. Ever Quest 2
    4. Lineage 2
    5. World of Warcraft

Several years later
    6. Age of Conan
    7. Rift
    8. Guild Wars
    9. Guild Wars 2
    10. Planetside 2 for about 5 minutes then promptly uninstalled it
  13. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

Lets see...
    Anarchy online (before the expansions) -first MMO and loved it
    EQ 1
    Matrix online (so laggy near hubs)
    WoW (still playing)
    Earth and beyond (very sad the day they shut it down)
    Final Fantasy XI
    city of heroes/villains (on and off while in Marine corp)
    Lord of the rings (pre-f2P)
    SWG (I go to boot camp and come to find NGE, never came back)
    Shadowbane
    Tabula Rasa
    DDO (wasnt as good as an actual game of D&D :()
    Planetside 1/2
    Warhammer online
    Aion (didnt like it)
    STO ( thought it was great till I got to 50 in a week with nothing to do, came back recently and it became cash shopimus prime..:down:)
    SWTOR ( Lots of issues with the game, they should have wait to launch and fix them. Also got to 50 in 3 days with nothing to do that wasnt bugged)
    RF Online
    Champions Online (sooooo many issues, made the game way to easy to get to cap... killed game)
    DCU (mad I couldnt be a GL left a week afterward)
    Eve online
    Rift ( beta tested, like the game just was broke never bought it)
    Tera (Just tried it recently... did not like it)

I'm sure there's more I just cant think of. The earlier ones i stuck with till they were shut down, or tried to appease everyone and failed.
  14. Saza

Saza Cupcake

Everquest: Barely played it since I was extremely late to the game and felt too alone, but what I did solo I really enjoyed.

Everquest 2: I played this at launch in a roleplaying guild, but didn't finish leveling or anything since I left it for WoW. I also returned to the game when it was free to play and enjoyed meandering through levels with my fiance. I still want another game to let preorders get the character creator early to play around with. One of the smallest things that I appreciated so much as someone that sometimes likes creating characters more than playing games.

WoW: I played vanilla WoW as a raider until I got burned out and quit. Then I came back for BC but only leveled to max. Then I came back for Wrath and raided again before getting burned out and quitting. Towards the end of Wrath I started back up with my fiance so he could try it and we both got Cata when it came out, but quit shortly after. I haven't been back yet.

Guild Wars: This I played as a completely solo game whenever I didn't feel like playing WoW. I never finished any of the stories but had some serious fun anyway.

LoTRO: I played this at the start I think it was before it came out and you could play for free up to level 15. I wanted to keep playing when it came out but the group of friends I was playing games with wanted to go back to WoW so I followed them. I went back to the game when it became free to play but never did anything more than character creation.

Aion: I tried this when it was free to play, but only ever enjoyed playing with the character creator.

GW2: I love this game and am still playing it. It isn't the only thing I play now but I feel free to come and go and really appreciate it. Sylvari are my favorite race I've played in any game so far. Jumping puzzles and puzzle puzzles in the game are just so much fun.

Tera: I tried this during the open beta but was too excited about GW2 to really give it much of a chance. I am playing it now that it is free to play. I love fighting BAMs but am not really drawn into the world so I don't plan on attempting end game. I only play female characters and I like armor that looks useful over sexy so Tera doesn't have much to offer me for character design which makes me less invested in my character and therefore the game. The warrior in this game is one of the most fun classes an MMO has offered me.
  15. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

Hrm, I am not sure I can remember them all.

Played extensively (in no particular order)
    EverQuest
    World of Warcraft
    City of Heroes
    Champions Online
    Rift
    SWTOR
    DCUO

All the rest I have tried and/or played briefly (and can remember)
    Saga of Ryzom
    Guild Wars
    GW2
    Aion
    Age of Conan
    Tera
    LotRO
    EQ2
    Secret World
    SWG
    DDO
    Warhammer Online
    Eve
    FFXI
    Vanguard
    Runes of Magic

I have tried tons more over the years but they were so meh I cannot even remember the names.
  16. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

RS (lol), WoW, Rift, SWTOR, GW2. WoW took up all my time for years, so I never got around to trying a lot.
  17. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

4 years: Asheron's Call - quit for WoW
    7 years: World of Warcraft - quit after 1st raid tier of Cataclysm
    2-6 months: Rift, TSW, SWTOR, AoC, WAR
    Less than 2 months: GW2, Vanguard, LotRO, Eve, AC2, DDO, Aion, Tera, E&B, EQ2
    Games I did not play when they were new and am sorry I missed: DaoC, UA, SWG
    Emmerich likes this.
  18. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

I have played nearly every MMO. In my line of work it is important to get all sorts of game play experiences just to learn all sorts of mechanics and how they work and how they are received by players. One game I never got to play was SWG. Its also a little late to get to into EVE sadly.
  19. Gangrel

Gangrel New Cupcake

It is never too late to get into Eve. Sure you will never get up to as many skill points as the people who started when the game started... but then again, a 90+ million SP character cannot bring *all those* skill points to bear against you (when you do meet up). If anything, they are just more flexible in terms of what they can fly/do.

I can understand why people think that Eve has a disadvantage for the newer players, but due to how the skill system is setup, a new player can achieve 80% of the effectiveness when compared to a "veteran" player, in just 20% of the time (going from skill level 4 to 5 for *anything* is the "long haul" skill training.) Sure, for some ships, you do need rank 5 in a series of skills...

Anyways, it all depends as to what you want to do in the game. And a lot of fun can be had in small gang PvP just flying cheap and cheerful ships. Swarming *is* a valid tactic (not always the correct one granted), but it can and does work.
  20. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

way too many to list. I used to be able to say "all of them" but the market is way saturated these days..but I've played a lot.

First MMO experience was actually being a closed beta tester for Ultima Online. Never played an MMO before then, I still have the CD they sent me for the beta. Yes, this was before broadband and they sent CD's of the beta as opposed to downloading it.

Currently, Im playing a lot of The Secret World. Im a huge horror fan and this setting is very "me", that and I think the writing in the game is brilliant and I really appreciate an original approach to up until now has been a "kill 10 rats" genre.