1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What MMOs have you played?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Fate Flyer, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I played a bunch of them, so I'm not going to go into great detail. Most of them out there I've tested, but these are the ones I actually played for a bit after they were released.

EQ 1, 2
    Asheron's Call 1, 2
    Anarchy Online
    Eve Online
    DAOC
    Shadowbane
    Guildwars 1
    DDO
    LOTRO
    STO
    Champs Online
    City of Heroes/Villains
    Tabula Rasa
    Aion
    Horizons
    Sands of Time
    WoW
    Planetside 1, 2
    Neverwinter (testing...release is in a couple of weeks or so)
    Free Realms
    Forgotten World
    Perfect World
    Shaiya
    9 Dragons
    Silk Road
    King of Kings 3
    Allods
    Lineage 2
    Runes of Magic
    Blacklight
    APB: Reloaded
    DCUO
    Warhammer Online
    Legends of Kesmai
    Age of Conan
    The Secret World
    Dark Legends
    Pocket Legends
    Arcane Legends
    Face of Mankind

There's more, but I can't think of them. I guess they weren't that memorable. ;)
    Bull likes this.
  2. Forge Darksteel

Forge Darksteel Cupcake

Wow, many of you have played so many MMOG's! I'm a bit more selective with what I play, I do a lot of research before I get a game. Limited playtime and all that...

Got my feet wet with Final Fantasy XI - fantastic environments, great players, interesting storyline, high quality music. Played that for 5 years because of the people who I played with, would have dropped it far sooner otherwise.
    I picked up WoW off-and-on over the last 7 years, nothing I can say that hasn't been said. I didn't care for the community compared with FFXI.
    As for other games, I've spent time in Star Wars: Galaxies, EVE Online, SW:TOR. I wish I had gotten more into EVE, it sounds like it's still going strong after all these years, and Dust really looks to be adding to the game in a big way!
  3. Archales

Archales Cupcake

Let's see, Everquest 1 & 2, Runescape, Vanguard, Guild Wars 1 & 2, City of Heroes, WoW, Rift, SWTOR and I think that's it.
  4. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

My list is not nearly as impressive as some of these :O

World of warcraft
    Eve Online
    Final Fantasy 11
    Planetside 2
    Startrek Online
    Guildwars 1 & 2
    Warhammer Online
  5. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

Have just tried and played probably hundreds of mmo's, but some of the ones that I've spent probably more than 1000h in.
    WoW, Silkroad Online, DarkEden, MU, Diablo 2, League of Legends, Path of Exile
  6. Wigumoto

Wigumoto New Cupcake

My first ever was City of Heroes which I played off and on for it's entire existence. I wasn't playing it that much at the end but I still hate not having it there, and I can't bring myself to uninstall it.
    Got my hunter to level 90 on WoW, did all the farm stuff and did a bunch of dailies and worked on certain reps, then when they got to a certain level...more dailies. Gah! So not playing that right now.
    Guild Wars 2 is still on my hardrive but I just have no motivation to play it at the moment.
  7. Pyaray

Pyaray Carbine Studios

I can get into this thread...

Ultima Online
    Everquest
    Everquest II
    Asheron's Call
    Anarchy Online
    World Of Warcraft
    Star Trek Online
    Dungeons & Dragons Online
    City of Heroes / Villains
    Aion
    Guild Wars 2
    Auto Assault

I'm certain I'm forgetting some. I've played more multi-player games than I can count. But this thread is about Massively Multi-player.

And just as a silly side note, Everquest is still my "go to" game. I still play it regularly. I do have 5 active MMO subscriptions though (and maybe a beta or two...) So I do have a pretty good variety.
    Blankspace likes this.
  8. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

For me it's

Planetside
    Star Wars Galaxies
    WoW
    Age of Conan
    Eve Online
    Aion
    Everquest 2
    Battle of Immortals
    City of Heroes/Villains
    Rift
    Guild Wars
    Star Wars the Old Republic
    Guild Wars 2
    Planetside 2
    Dungeons & Dragons Online

Enjoyed my time in all of them (guess I'm an addict). Currently only really dabbling in DDO still while playing various other games with a few friends.
  9. Cupcake

Cupcake Cupcake

In chronological order:
    1.Anarchy online ( I had no idea what I was doing first MMO experience)
    2. Dark age of Camelot
    3. Star wars galaxies ( very briefly)
    4. World of Warcraft (for 7 years, 5 of them were hardcore raiding)
    5. Final fantasy XI ( for nanoseconds)
    6. Vanguard ( played it for a week went back to wow)
    7. Rift ( first post wow MMO played it for 3 months)
    8. SWTOR ( played it for 6 months went back to wow for Panderia)
    9. Tera ( played it for a few days :down: )
    10. GW2 ( for a few weeks)

The only upcoming MMO that I can see myself playing again for the long-haul is wildstar
  10. Senescheal

Senescheal New Cupcake

Thought I was gonna feel really old if I were to post here, feeling a tad bit better now, haven't played many MMOs, actually make an effort to stick it out for a couple of months minimum unless it becomes another job to do:
    Ultima Online (way too long)
    GuildWars (short term)
    Runes of Magic (before they started raising the level cap every 2nd month)
    Rift (short, but enjoyed it)
    Aion (no Comment)
    GuildWars 2 (fun, but a bit easy)
    Tera (not quite my cup of tea)
    How bad was I on UO, kinda skipped the entire WoW thing on a custom shard...
  11. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

Listed in order i played them in.

1. Elite MUD
    2. Meridian59
    3. Ultima Online
    4. EverQuest
    5. Asheron's Call
    6. Asheron's Call 2
    7. Dark Age of Camelot
    8. Anarchy Online
    9. World of Warcraft(still playing)
    10. Warhammer Online
    11. Age of Conan
    12. Ragnarok Online
    13. FFXI
    14. EVE Online
    15. SWTOR
    16. GW2
    17. Hopefully Wildstar!

I have probably missed a few, and the order might not be 100% but ive played all these kinda deeply. At one time i was play 3 MMOs at the same time. Yes i play way too much ;)

EDIT: Missed games like Star Wars Galaxies, RIFT, Tera and Aion.

On another note, some of these games where quite good imo. AO, WoW, FFXI, SWTOR i liked alot. The major problem was usually either bugs or community that ruined the experience.
  12. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Nah, sorry, I will never agree with anyone stating that the community can ruin an MMO. People are people and they are everywhere, you really can't say "this MMO has better community than <insert MMO> where everyone is a douchebag", because that wouldn't be true. Ofcourse, you may get that illusion because the community is smaller, better policed and the few trolls don't really like standing out as being the few ones who look like jerks, so they mostly shut up. But once an MMO gets a healthy amount of population it starts to look like the community you blame to have ruined an MMO.

Communities never ruined an MMO. If you do think that, you're just picking at straws and trying to justify an MMO failed because of this and not because...well...it was a BAD game to begin with. That's like saying you aren't going to your favorite pub anymore because the bartender is ugly.
  13. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

FFXI
    Runes of magic
    Aion
    Guild Wars
    Guild Wars 2
    World of Warcraft
    Runescape
    FFXIV 1.0
    Rift
    Star Wars The Old Republic
    Phantasy Star Online (PC, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Xbox)
    Phantasy Star Universe

Currently playing:
    Tera
    FFXIV 2.0 (beta shh) :cautious:
    Phantasy Star online 2
  14. pondfilter

pondfilter Cupcake

I think the first MMO I played would probably be RuneScape somewhere around 2003-2004 because I was too busy playing CS prior to that. I did everything I could do without having membership and eventually I became a member and did a bunch of stuff on there. I quit around level 83 at that time.

After that came the beta of Guild Wars 1. I still had no clue what to do in a 'real' MMO so needless to say I didn't accomplish much in GW haha. I just joined a random guild and was amazed by the experience and just went out exploring and killing stuff till early in the morning and doing some GvG here and there. I didn't bother with GW because shortly after that I started playing WoW. I did play GW again about 2 years ago and did a bunch of PvE and PvP at max level.

Vanilla WoW: At this time I didn't play very hardcore since I was still sharing a computer with my brother, though that didn't stop me from accomplishing some stuff. Eventhough I didn't raid a lot, I managed to build up a good reputation of being a skilled rogue and managed to roll with the big boys (High Warlord/Warlock premades with just blue gear).

TBC WoW: I had my own computer by that time so I managed to raid all the content in vanilla + TBC. I rerolled factions and started another rogue since most of my friends on Horde quit at that time. I capped at 2011 rating (Rank 11 at that time) in Season1 in 2on2 on BG3 (Cyclone) as Rogue/Lock before we disbanded. Other than that I had some other non-serious/committed 3's and 5's in the 17-18xx's.

WotLK WoW: At this point I was already pretty bored of WoW and stopped PvP completely because it turned into a piece of <REDACTED>. I did most of the raids till I grew bored of that too. Ended with some heroic speed runs together with a fixed skilled team and quit the game.

Flyff: Played it very very briefly together with some classmates. Nothing to mention about this here other than it was a huge grindfest.

Aion: Played some Closed Beta and eventually pre-launch + just before 2.0. I initially joined a pre-launch guild and had a great time there, however I quickly outlevelled all of them and up levelling together with another guy who was levelling just as fast as me. We ended up solo/duo'ing elites upto level cap and joined a different guild together. After a while I got invited for a project. They were gathering all the best players from different guilds to make one "super" guild. The first few weeks were great and we were stomping other guilds left and right, however after a while the guild leader and officers gave up on their vision and just invited everybody and everyone and we quickly became member capped. We reached Rank 1 on the server quickly but it just didn't feel the same anymore so I left. After that I had two other small (~8 man) guilds that were a lot of fun. Rifting/Dredgions was the only thing we did and we quickly became one of the more feared groups since only the best groups were able to fight on even terms with us.

Aika online: Played this briefly with a friend from Aion. Training mobs onto you seemed to be a trend in Aion. People who have played Dredgion will know what I'm talking about. This was a cool thing about Aika since it had PK enabled. Some guy is training or talking <REDACTED> to you? No problem, PK him. Only played it for about 3 weeks before we grew bored of it.

Tera: Participated in the CPE (Community Play Event) which was held before the betas. It was okay, never played it again after that.

It's been pretty quiet for me after Aion. Only played Dota2 and Counter-Strike 1.6 after that. Hopefully Wildstar will be able to inspire me to play again.
  15. Shu

Shu Cupcake

Well, I won't have quite the hefty explanation that pondfilter has, but -

Everquest (2 Years)
    Everquest 2 (3 Years)
    Guild Wars (6 Years)
    Guild Wars 2 ( 6 Months)
    World of Warcraft (6 Years)
    Star Wars: The Old Republic (1 Year)
    Star Wars Galaxies (2 Years)

Also tons of free to play titles, all of which I couldn't really get into.
  16. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

I keep ducking this thread but I might as well post something...

GW2 - Broken heart syndrome. WTB Raid-UI plox -> goodbye
    WoW - Don't want to even admit or check /played. Ever.
    Aion/Tera/Rift/PS2/Firefall - Dabble with but nothing serious
    Want hardcore PvP 'back in the day'? :p Achaea - Brought a ton of PvP changes due to my Cmud systems (About as close to programming as I'll ever get)

Back to hiding I go!
  17. Narthen

Narthen Cupcake

Damn Lsya, Do you ever SLEEP?!?!?!?!
  18. imrevned

imrevned Cupcake

I am surprised none of you have played Dragon Nest :O

I think it is very good, at least for an action MMORPG.

Games I have played:
    Aion
    Lineage 2
    Planetside 2
    The Secret World
    Face of Mankind
    Eden Eternal
    Runescape (first MMORPG, started playing in like 3rd grade and then stopped in 6th or 7th grade I think)
    Atlantica
    Mabinogi
    Maplestory
    Dragon Nest (only one that I really still play, I have played it on and off since closed beta, mainly wait for level caps rather than getting the best gear)
    Age of Wushu
    Scarlet Blade
    Perfect World Online
    Dungeons and Dragons Online
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Warframe (I play this sometimes, it's pretty fun)
    9 Dragons
    GunZ
    Digimon Masters
    Last Chaos
    Vindictus
    C9
    S.U.N
    League of Legends (I still play this sometimes, not my favorite game as the community pisses me off, lol)
    Dota 2 (barely play it, not dedicated enough to really play the game and be good at it)
    4Story
    Runes of Magic
    Path of Exile
    Blacklight Retribution
    Brick-Force
    Minecraft
    Cabal Online
    Dark Blood Online
    Dekaron
    Dragon Saga
    Rumble Fighter
    Fallen Earth
    FreeJack
    FreeStyle Street Basketball
    Pandora Saga
    Uncharted Waters Online
    RaiderZ
    Rappelz
    Zone 4: District Fight
    The WarZ
    Arma 2
    Arma 3
    APB Reloaded

I played a lot of these for less than a week, and a ton of them were in beta when I played them. I try it out every beta I can get into pretty much :p

And the majority of these were played during my summer break in 8th-9th grade, lol.
  19. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

LOL..yep. More than I used to. There used to be many all nighters in my past. That list was over a 15 year period. I'm now more of a laid back player than I used to be. :)
  20. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I haven't been in MMO territory as long, but when I was introduced I dove headfirst into the experience.

I was introduced with WoW: Burning Crusade. I'd played WarCraft 1, 2, 2:Tides of Darkness, 3, and 3:Frozen Throne already. WoW was the ultimate gateway drug, err MMO. I was familiar with the IP, but I'd never been so directly in contact with the world before. Had fun with some small RP, but spent the entire year grinding to 69.5 (level cap was 70 at the time) before university started back up and WoW: Wrath dropped, making my raiding aspirations mute :(

End of college was approaching and my roomie got me back in to WoW: Cataclysm. I plowed through all the questline areas, got me a few hundred mounts, pets, tabards/rep, I did all RAID content and even finished a lot of heroics. I got engaged right before WoW: Mysts launched, and decided it was a good time to take a break.

By break, I mean I went straight to Guild Wars 2 because it gave me more flexibility in terms of less stress due to the payment model. GW didn't keep me satisfied to max, so I stopped. It was mainly due to the level scaling. It was great at start, but the end result was people only playing the easiest dungeon ever and never feeling the need to do any others, so I never got groups for my favorite part of MMOs. Hopefully I'll get that fix again with Wildstar :)