1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What MMOs have you played?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Fate Flyer, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Oh please no, all those horrible memories and wasted hours.

Needless to say, lots.
  2. Nami

Nami New Cupcake

No one has said Redmoon Online yet...
    1. Redmoon Online (Diosa and Olympus servers)
    2. Ragnarok Online
    3. DAoC
    4. WoW
    Are the only four I ever invested "real" time into. Others that I tried out for a couple weeks/months at a time before deciding on something else were CoX, Champions, EQ1&2, Lineage 2, Tera, Warhammer, SWTOR, and probably several others that I am neglecting.
    Bull likes this.
  3. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Only those in orange did I put any real playing time into:

Lineage2
    World of Warcraft
    City of Heroes
    DC Universe
    Aion
    Tera
    Rift
    SWTOR
    Guild Wars
    Guild Wars 2
    Age of Conan
    LoTRO
  4. Kysera Naythox

Kysera Naythox Cupcake

Everquest - First MMO, played from near release to mid-Gates of Discord. Best faction system, hands down in my opinion. No 'hard' factions. Everyone could interact with everyone else, player wise. You were your own person, not automagically tied to a player 'faction'. Your starting race and deity decided which NPC's liked you, tolerated you, or hated you. But you could raise and lower all of these factions in some manner, so even if you were, say, a dark elf (Evil), you could kill enough things to eventually be tolerated or even liked by the 'good' guys - high elves, dwarves, etc. Conversely, you could also destroy your faction standing in your home town and not be able to safely travel around your own place until you fixed it or just didn't visit/care any more. But it wasn't something required at all, by any means (Like, say, WoW's daily quest reputation obsession). Just another layer of depth to the world. The 2 hard faction Horde/Alliance type thing just made things so... simplified :(

Also spent a lot of time in EQ2, WoW, Rift, Ragnarok Online. Spent less time in Guild Wars, GW2, Lineage 2, SWG, SW:TOR.
  5. Galosha

Galosha Cupcake

Ragnarok Online (`1 year, first graphic mmo after years of playing MUDs)
    EverQuest 2 (5 years, the best for me:up:)
    WOW (4 years with breaks, many good memories)
    Anarchy Online (2 months, best chat ever (chat bots it's a miracle:up:))
    LOTRO (18-20 months, love it for setting and community)
    Rift (6 months, nice ideas:inlove: )
    SWTOR (3 months, good game for solo)
    DCUO (2 months, superhero not for me but jamping-feast:D)
    Wakfu (2 months, best game for runing on workplace;))
    Aoin (1 month, frustrating craft system and for me it's big deal)
    Tera (2 months, as for healer this game vexing:cry:)

I'm tryed some mmo (1-2 weeks), but grind-feast not for me or if i cant avoid open-world PvP i give up a game.

P.S. sorry for my english.
  6. Bull

Bull Carbine Sr. Systems Designer

In (approximate) order of "played" time:
    Eve Online
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Warhammer Online
    World of Warcraft
    City of Heroes
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Asheron's Call
    Ultima Online
    Guild Wars
    Star Wars Galaxies
    EverQuest 2
    Earth & Beyond
    Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Pirates of the Burning Sea
    Atlantica Online
    Realm of the Mad God
    DC Universe Online
    EverQuest
    Guild Wars 2
    Star Trek Online
    Champions Online
    Age of Wushu
    Lego Universe
    Stargate Worlds
    The Secret World
    Anarchy Online
    Wurm Online
    Shadowbane
    Fate Flyer and Lethality like this.
  7. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Bull... you approach MMO's as your name suggests. That is a crazy long list of MMO's. :)
    Bull likes this.
  8. Cowboy

Cowboy Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar >
    :D
    Konoko likes this.
  9. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

oh boy... Most all games I list I have played since Beta or Game release. I'll list the ones I played a lot. So lots and lots of other games played but not from beginning to lvl cap.

1. Anarchy Online (release). Amazing Sci-fi game with lots of expansions.

2. Star Wars Galaxies (beta). By far the best star wars game ever released!! (before they changed owners and changed the game)

3. City of Heroes (beta). Very fun, Played Fire/Radiation controller = unstoppable solo anything in game kill anyone. way way way OP if done right. Then they finally nerfed them. my poor lil fire imps:(

4. World of Warcraft (release). It wanted to eat my soul, but I said I was saving it for WildStar :p I played rogue from game release all the way to current. Waiting on some Stalker Fun !!!

5. APB (release). Online 3rd person shooter. Awesome customization, lots of hackers :/ fun game though. basically Grand theft Auto on steroids.

6. DC Universe (release). but only played a couple months.. recently started back up again until WildStar is released.

and Lucky 7. WildStar ( beta ?) (release ?) not sure yet :p But I can say this game has me the most excited I have ever been!

WildStar will be my Girlfriend and my Sister's First MMO. been talking them into it :p They are super excited to play as well :))

Oh yeah! played a lot of Lineage 2 (beta) then a lot after release :p
  10. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Not a bad start.

;)
  11. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

1) Dark Age of Camelot - First MMORPG I ever sunk me teeth into, it is what molded me into the avid PvP'er I am today. I never really got too immersed though since I was playing on my brothers account and I was quite young, so I couldn't dedicate as much time into an MMORPG as I can and do nowadays.

2) World of Warcraft - My second major MMORPG and on my own account for the first time, and by then I was old enough to really get into and enjoy every aspect of the game. Played it too much for my own good, which definitely is reflected in my school grades lol, but that grind to Grand Marshal took some serious grinding and I was too cool for school! Got bored quite quickly in TBC though, and I didn't return until Cataclysm came out. Played Cata for a couple of months before getting tired, and I'm sure I wont play WoW ever again.

3) Warhammer Online - The spiritual sequel to my darling DAoC, got to play the beta and I was hooked every since. To me it felt even better than DAoC, but I was probably too young to fully realize the greatness of DAoC at the time I played it because none of my guildies seemed to agree with me. At this time I was unemployed so I played WAR pretty much 24/7, and was one of the first in the world to reach renown rank 80. I quit when the server stability and class imbalance went to hell, but I returned ~half a year later and enjoyed it immensely once again. But as my friends started quitting, so did I.

4) Star Wars: The Old Republic - By this time I had recently grown tired of Cataclysm and I only bought SWTOR because I had nothing better to spend my time with. The leveling experience with all the excellent voice actors and awesome storyline was amazing. Later I went on to meet some awesome people that I became close IRL friends with and we play pretty much everything together nowadays. The lack of endgame PvP content (no arenas or rated warzones) made us all grow tired though.

5) Guild Wars 2 - Just as with SWTOR, this was just something I picked up (together with my friends) because we had nothing better to play. The public quest system was great and the exploring was surprisingly fun, and the combat gameplay was just flawless imo. The idea of everyone being on exactly equal footing in terms of gear in structured PvP was also great, but after a while you grew tired with the lack of character progression other than new skins for your armor and weapons.

6) Planetside 2 - My first ever MMOFPS which I picked up just because my friend who played the original wouldn't shut up about it. He was very disappointed with it though but I got extremely hooked, and I'm not even one for FPS games. But with the massive playerbase, the outfits (guilds) and all the customization available made me as an RPG fan feel really at home. I still play it and probably wont get tired of it until I snag a Wildstar beta key.

7) TERA - This one I started playing very recently, mostly because my Wildstar craving was getting out of hand and I needed an MMORPG to sink my teeth in, and since TERA is F2P now I thought why not. Can't say that I enjoy it too much, the combat is quite clunky and the korean design is not really my cup of tea, but it keep me occupied for the time being together with Planetside 2 and DotA.

Sorry for not just making a simple list, but when I'm tired and bored I tend to ramble a lot. :p
  12. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Glad to see Eve at the top of that list.
    Bull likes this.
  13. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I just checked out my WoW account history and counted the months sub I have had. 57 months total including the free month from aquiring the classic, that is almost 5 years. However my free month was back in 2006, so I have some years of absence to explain.

One free month with Vanguard, when it released, another free month with EQ2 at release, and then again after the Freeport server went live as f2p, 6 months was on Rift at release, 3 month on SWTOR at release, and I did go back to EQ for another half a year in 2008 (played 2004-2007), since I missed my EQ friends, when I first started playing WoW. However, going back into a game as a dedicated casual player never really worked for me, when I were a end game raider before in the game - I just miss the raiding too much, and my satisfaction with the game does not reach the same heights.

EQ2 Freeport was my in between game until the ProSieben debacle, where I got barred from SOE All-access pass as a European, my current sub ends in June and it is not up for renewal.
    Got a current 3 month sub on Rift and still have a running sub on WoW, and if any of my friends from SWTOR wants to return for a while, I am inclined to get into that too though I would take a serious look at how much I expect to play it vs the f2p model they have.
    Depending on wether or not said friends PM me when they are online and plan to play, since I have no intend to run around alone waiting to see them ingame :rolleyes:

When Wildstar goes live I am inclined to unsub the lot of them, unless they have some really fine year sub discounts. I am not so happy about having to sub/unsub on and off to check into my chars and gamer friends.

Everything else I have played have been trials or f2p and at the same time as I had a sub, and more markedly not to max level, which is defining for me for wether or not I was just dabbling in a game. I have enjoyed raiding in EQ, WoW and Rift.

-- textwall just because I took a note of my wow account history --
  14. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

I cant remember how much spended at each game but i have to say that i spended less than a month to the majority of the free to play MMORPG's.

Eve Online
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Warhammer Online
    World of Warcraft
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Guild Wars
    Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Pirates of the Burning Sea
    Atlantica Online
    Anarchy Online
    Eden Eternal
    Tera Online
    Dragon Nest
    Vindictus
    Allods Online
    Lineage 2
    Runes of Magic
    Aion
    Battle of the Immortals
    Aika Online
    Florensia
    Fiesta Online
    SilkRoad Online

15. Halabit

Halabit New Cupcake

Well ... I'm gonna list only MMOs wich I played more then a month.

EvE Online ( six good years :cool: )
    LOTRO
    RIFT
    SWTOR

Honestly after SWTOR I lost interest in MMOs in total , looked at ESO from time to time and didn't been hyped at all. But about month ago I was bored , stumbled on WildStar website, I heard for WildStar before but never took the time to read about the game. After looking at vids and reading a lot of stuff about the game I can certainly say I got my hype back and can't wait for WildStar :)
  16. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The very first game I tried was "World of Warcraft" when it first came out. I played it for I think maybe three months before stopping. I just really didn't like it. I never really liked the fantasy setting at all then.

Then I found "City of Heroes" and I was happy and stayed there a really long time until they took it away from me. I loved my little radiation corruptor!

I tried "The Secret World" and it was interesting, but the game was very unstable for me. I would disconnect an average of 22 times an hour and tech support was unable to do anything about it. I check it now every few months and still find myself being constantly disconnected. It was sad that I had experienced the frequent disconnects throughout beta and thought they would fix it when the game was live, but they never did. What's sad is I was so looking forward to the game that I bought the lifetime membership. Even though it's still completely unplayable for me. I won't make that mistake again.

I stay a little on "Guild Wars 2" mostly because it's completely free. It is pretty good for quick entertainment. Though I'm still not really that fond of the fantasy setting.

I went to "Champions Online" after City of Heroes closed down and I'm still there, but it just doesn't have the content that City of Heroes did. I had tried it before and was in it's alpha and beta tests, but at the time I just liked City of Heroes more.

"DC Online" I did try when it first came out, but it's controls were just something I couldn't get used to and character creation felt really limited for what I had come to expect from a superhero game after Champions and City of Heroes.

"Eve Online" was neat with spaceships, but I didn't really have the patience or the time for their skill system. Plus it seemed really focused on joining corporations. In general I've always stayed away from guilds and things.

Hubby did poke at "Warhammer Online" for a little while and I did try it, but still too much fantasy for me.

"Fallen Earth" was neat! But I kind of lost interest when it seemed like end game was all about factions and pvp.
  17. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I have played:
    WoW
    Champions Online
    Allods Online
    Rift
    TERA (a little bit though)
    LOTRO
    Aion

Still playing:
    GW2
    (Does Torchlight II count? That's more an MO than an MMO isn't it?)
  18. Brezals

Brezals Cupcake

over 50, but just gonna list those that I have atleast played for a year or 2.
    Runescape
    Tibia
    WoW
    Maplestory
    Firefall
  19. Sarcan

Sarcan Cupcake

20. Moor

Moor New Cupcake

I'm new here and all. Hey. Answer. So:

1. WoW. I started with this. A lot of people did, nothing wrong in it. I remember mightily arriving in Auberdine for the first time, greeted by enemy players on mounts. This was pre-honor. Sunk years into vanilla and BC. Raided and all, guild collapsed, the usual stuff. Many of my friends quit and I got bored of it. Left for

2. Warhammer Online. Oh dear, oh no. The hype was nuts. It looked so damn good, it even had a lot of potential, I feel. But it ended up sucking, stupid design choices, unfinished product, nothing more to expect in retrospect. Lesson learned, I hope. I still have the box somewhere. It's not like there was nothing in the game I liked.

3. What was it? Hellgate: London, I think. Don't know if that counts. I really did want it to count. It didn't for me. I had fun for a few days. The game was not very good.

4. Rift. Sort of a WoW clone. I didn't mind. Played it for some 9 months before burning out. It was not bad, souls were positively nice. I endgamed only lightly, but still. Had I had friends come over I would have lasted longer there, I think. The performance of this game is horrible.

5. GW2. Own it. This is often controversial (I don't mind): I actively disliked that game after the initial infatuation. A lot of nice ideas. Huge ambition, though misguided ("let's build the PvP into a freaking esport"). The world felt very disjointed to me. Damn the loading screens, damn the lobby PvP. WvWvW? Fun idea. Practice: massive zergs, hacks and lag. Visually very stylish. Too bad the movement feels so sluggish.

6. Tera whateveritwasF2P. Okay. Surprisingly great combat. Liked it a lot first, got extremely bored of the "questing" and zone structure pretty fast. Very shiny.

That's pretty much it. I'm picky. I hope Wildstar doesn't turn out like GW2 did. I don't think it will.

Edit: forgot Secret World. Very cool game, great concept. Too bad the execution was only so so.