1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What sort of desktop should I get?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Shockz, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Shockz

Shockz New Cupcake

I am not too knowledgeable about computer stats and what not so I figured I would ask you guys :p
    I have a budget of $500-700 to spend on a desktop and wondering what you all would recommend?​
    I'd like to be able to play Wildstar and any other MMOs that come out over the next year or so at medium graphical settings at least​
    Sorry if this shouldn't go here ._. I usually don't participate in forums and get nervous even posting but this community seems so nice :3​
  2. eharper256

eharper256 Cupcake-About-Town

I'd imagine you can get a decent moderate rig for that kind of money in the US, especially if you're willing to take AMD processors and Radeon cards (and I don't see why not, you mostly needlessly pay extra money for Intel and nVidia for no real reason). Personally, I'd still stick with getting Windows 7 though.
  3. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

4. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

From the sound of your post, I'm guessing that you're not willing to try building a PC?
  5. Shockz

Shockz New Cupcake

Yea I don't know too much about putting a PC together
    Maybe if I could select the parts and have someone else make it?
  6. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

Do you know anybody who would build it for you?

I would recommend anybody who is into gaming on a pc to try and build their own rig at some point. It's a very rewarding experience that doesn't take too much work and will save you a bit of cash. This way you also know what you need to upgrade easier and what computer part affects what on your computer. There are loads of step by step guides online for building computers, so It mightn't hurt to have a look at one of these to see if you would be up for it.

However I understand that some people aren't interested in that sort of thing. So if you don't want to build it yourself or don't know somebody that would build it, it might be better to just get a branded PC.
  7. Mellkor

Its pretty much LEGO these days...
  8. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

That dude's right, it's pretty much legos. Very expensive, scary when it starts flexing, legos. The first time you build one it can be quite daunting, just make sure you follow the directions and are careful with all the parts. After you're done though the feeling you get is so rewarding and being able to tell people "Yeah I built that" feels pretty cool as well.

Also, make sure to get a really cool looking case, that's what really matters. Oh, and a quick warning if you do build one and your less computer knowledgeable friends find out they'll want you to fix all their computer problems. No matter how many times you tell them to just use Google.
  9. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

building PCs is very easy today honestly. Follow the directions and make sure to get a case with big fans and good air flow so you never have heat issues. I state big fans because they provide good air flow without having to sound like a 747 taking off.

Today as mentioned its like Legos just make sure parts are firmly seated, Unlike the days of old you do not have to worry about settings in the BIOS to have a functional PC.

Also do not skimp on the power supply and grab one for $30, the CPU might be the brains but the PSU is the heart and soul of the computer and a good high quality power supply will survive more than one upgrade phase.

The biggest bonus to a DIY computer is that you do not get a computer with garbageware on it. Many prebuilt machines from firms like Dell and well everybody else come with lots of software you are unlikely to ever use. Or worse today, great software that turns out to be a limited time demo that will get you hooked and then ask for money.
  10. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

I just built an APU computer for about less than $400 that is very upgradable if I decide to run a second videocard. AMD A10- 6800 with 8 gig of ram and a TB of memory is pretty good with all the Christmas sales. The major savings was a freebie windows 7 I got from a friend.

I VERY much recommend building a PC. If you have a little cash and youtube you can build it in 45 mins with no previous experience.
  11. Mellkor

I'm not trolling, But you kind of lose your credibility when you cant get terminology right...

If you think you can watch a youtube video and build one in 45 mins your more than likely going to end up with a very expensive paperweight. I have said previously that its like "Lego" which it is, But there are risks which takes longer than 45 mins to recognize for someone new to building.

For example, Anti-Electrostatic practices (which non industry never talks about) is something that everyone should learn, and youtubers will not teach you.
  12. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

Nope, newegg has an entire video series devoted to antistatic wrist straps and how to keep yourself properly grounded as to not fry anything.

Also, I never claimed to have credibility. I was just using myself as an example. I watched 20-30 videos on PC building, read up on newer parts, read up on things to not do, and it took me about half an hour. I am even aware that APU builds are not great for gaming PCs, but for the price and my purposes it's not a "paperweight"....yet.
  13. Hundmetall

Hundmetall New Cupcake

I think he was just referring to your mistake of saying a TB of memory, you surely meant a TB hard drive and x GB of memory
  14. Waneyy

Waneyy New Cupcake

You could check out this video, he has many other Gaming PC builds in all other sorts of prices too! ;)