1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What Tank Will You Play?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Raxis, Jan 5, 2014.

?

What tank are you playing?

1. Engineer

37.7%
  2. Warrior

31.2%
  3. Stalker

31.2%
  1. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

This topic is more aimed at the endgame tank raiders out there? With the reveal of the Engineer, Stalker and Warrior as the Wildstar tanks - what one will you be putting face to face against the bosses of nexus?

For me, I'm torn between a unique experience as a stalker tank, or the standardish warrior tanking. I'm just worried for the stalker, as it has medium armor, will people still be looking for stalker tanks for endgame raiding?
  2. Spyguy

Spyguy Cupcake

Spellslinger.
    Kusiga likes this.
  3. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

just spec 100% healing/utility its possible i saw it on gamefaqs
  4. Kusiga

Kusiga Cupcake

Guess my dream of an Aurin tank that isn't a Stalker can live now!
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You do know there are more stats for tanking then just ''armor'', right?

The Stalker tank has more Deflect Rating to compensate for their lack of armor.
    Flawz likes this.
  6. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

So, do you think people on end game raiding would be looking for stalker tanks as much, say, a warrior tank? I just don't wanna play a stalker tank if no body is looking for them.
  7. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yes I do think Stalker tanks will be looked for in end-game!

Heck mayby there are some 40 man bosses that are easier to do with a stalker tank because they have ''armor penetration skills'' or something....

I do think the bonus in Deflect for stalkers make up for their reduced armor. Ofcourse we don't have acces to any end-game info, and neither do the Beta testers.....but seeing how Carbine acts i'm sure they'll try to make them all good for end-game.

See it like this:
    IF by any chance the stalker tank has less survivability because of their lack of armor....then Carbine can easily increase the base stats of their ''tank-stance'' letting it say something like this ''In the tank stance your nanites multiply at an increased rate serving as a shield'' (giving you a +x amount of shield every Y sec OR Increases armor by Z amount)

Eitherway there are so many possibilities open for Carbine to change it IF things go wrong, and it doesn't have to be conflicting with the lore/class etc.
  9. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

Haha, thanks guys. Yall relieved my worries for the stalker. I'll be rolling a tank!
  10. Makull

Makull New Cupcake

When I played SWTOR I tried them all (that game also has melee, ranged and evasive tank classes). My experience was that raid guilds avoided the evasive tanks because of the 'spikiness'. It was okay as long as they avoid the damage, but when they got hit they got hit hard resulting in a dead tank if they got hit a few times in a row. The melee and ranged heavy armor tanks where higher in demand simply because they were easier to heal. I played a sith warrior ( juggernaut) tank then and I will again play the heavy armor warrior in Wildstar because I am now so used to being in the face soaking up damage.

Of course this is not the same game, so Carbine might be able to give stalkers the abilities they need to be very successful end-game tanks.
    Afrotech and Livnthedream like this.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

While it's true it's more ''spiky'' then other tanks I personally thought (and still have that feeling) that Deflect tanks will be strong for a simple reason:

Most damage that can kill the tank comes from the telegraphed abilities....they hurt! The white damage surely can add up but getting hit by telegraphed ones = so much more of a hassle.

Anyway...i'm derailling. Those telegraphed spells CAN also be deflected. While you avoid most telegraphed onces by simply ''dodging/sprinting'' out of them you sometimes screw up and get hit! In this case if you deflect it's be AWESOME! While armor may reduce the damage a bit, deflect completely nulifies it.

Ofcourse it's still more RNG based (Thanks the RNG God that they are with me a lot of the times!), but if you'd take 60% fo your life by that telegraphed attack as a stalker tank, while a heavy armor tank only get 55% i'd still rather have a ''chance'' in completely nulify the damage then just a small reduction, since 2 hits still kill you no matter the armor.

TL;DR
    It all depends how much impact the deflect rating of the stalker tank stance and the armor for the 2 heavy armor tanks have on their survivability, and ofcourse how big that difference in armor/deflect is eventually.

1 games medium vs heavy armo isn't the other games medium vs heavy armor. The differences between them can be far less!
  12. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

It usually is quite significant because if its not then everyone just stacks hp and heals through. Putting everything into stance means Carbine will have to constantly adjust the numbers (at least every tier) or gear will outscale the benefit, or the benefit will just be too good all around which further messes with things like pvp. Being able to flip flop stances, especially with a bursty invis class, usually leads to the perception that the class is op, even when its not. In general the "spikiness" will only be "fixed" by using the corresponding healer if what the devs have said is actually true. As it is, we have nothing to go off from in terms of how decent a Stalker actually will be for tanking. Its not like numerous studios haven't said things like Carbine has and then left redheaded stepchildren classes/specs around for a good while for one reason or another. There is often a vast difference between possible and optimal, not to mention viable.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  13. Stich

Stich Cupcake

dude the assassin and shadow from SWTOR are stealth tanks with LIGHT ARMOUR and their one of the best tanks in the game
  14. Drunkatm

Drunkatm New Cupcake

For me I love the heavy armor with giant swords, just fits my play style. Always how I built my chars in rpgs and mmos. Even why I try something different I always go back to that. They say that all 3 tanks will be viable, some fights easier for certain tanks over others.

Until we see endgame tests to see how true that is we wont know. But I have faith! So if ya wanna play stalker tank u should be ok.
  15. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

No idea.... I like the warrior and maybe the engi. I probably won't like the engi if it requires a lot of setup before a pull.

The stalker tank reminds me of the warrior in Tera. I enjoyed it but like other folks have said if a evasion tank gets unlucky it will usually crumple.

Honestly though I will try all three.
  16. eharper256

eharper256 Cupcake-About-Town

Originally, I would have said Engi, but right now I'm very attracted to a Stalker tank.
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

What do you consider a lot of setup?
  18. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Having to consistently push 2-3 buttons before I run in on trash pulls. The Engi pets worry me some in this regard. There is no way of knowing how pet reliant Engis are as tanks without playing one obviously but, I feel if it ends up being that way I most likely will not enjoy it.

It's the same with a Stalker (having to sneak around to get in position comes to mind) but, the idea of being highly mobile and more skill dependent (less mitigation) is attractive to me.

I think Carbine (at least on paper) has done a good job with giving us a variety of tanking styles to choose from. I should add a disclaimer and say with LAS these concerns are probably less founded that with a more traditional mmo. I look forward to trying all three.
  19. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I'm really interested in the stalker. Plus, I've always liked stealth classes.
  20. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

im gonna play the engi butttttttt im not going to tank ever! BUWHAHAHA!
    H00ktastic and Aheadache like this.