1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What Tank Will You Play?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Raxis, Jan 5, 2014.

?

What tank are you playing?

1. Engineer

37.7%
  2. Warrior

31.2%
  3. Stalker

31.2%
  1. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

^ This. Except I may tank from time to time. Generally, its not my thing.
    Xecks likes this.
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Let me fix that for the player base -

im gonna play tank butttttttt im not going to tank ever! BUWHAHAHA!
    Xecks and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  3. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

Haha, I loved tanking with my warrior in TERA, now that I think about it the stalker does remind of the warrior. I guess it's the class for me! Very mobile while being able to dish it out.
    Chrilin likes this.
  4. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

ya i used to tank in wow but i dont think i would be skilled enough to tank in wildstar. so if i end up being better than im thinking i will be at first i will try it maybe.
  5. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

Well, practice makes perfect...
  6. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

yep... Lots of Deflect as well as lots of Healing abilities, Massive dodge and mobility from amps, and Debuffs on mobs.

Most people keep relating tanks with just armor but there are lots of variations for this game
  7. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

Yeah, for sure. Can't wait to tank on my stalker. It's unique, different. Tanking as a rogue like class is like nothing I've really done before. Should be a lot of fun!
  8. Ncolic

Ncolic New Cupcake

In a raid what you want from a tank is consistancy and smooth dmg intake. I think carbine will take that in to count when balancing the tanks in game.

Evasive tanks, which usually has low dmg intake but spiky dmg are usually really hard to keep up, unless they have a second mechanic to compensate. (good example of evasion tank is monk from WoW, stablizes his dmg intake with stagger ability)

I personally gonna choose Engineer, because of small size MECHA!! :)
  9. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

I have tried tanking in a couple of games and while I am generally passable, its not my first choice. Based on what has been shown, if you have the "skill" to dps you have the skill to tank. One of the things that Tsw got right is switching between roles was very similar, and it appears the same can be said here. Though that does have the downside of losing some longevity because to get a "new" play experience you will now have to try a different class instead of merely a different spec.

No, perfect practice makes perfect. Practice in general makes permanent, which can be a bad thing, especially if you are doing things wrong. I personally hate unlearning bad habits, especially when those habits are what feel natural. That is one of the problems when devs screw up and design things that aren't optimal.

Variations are meaningless, as only 1-2 will be actually worthwhile. People may complain about "simplicity" and "dumbing down" but personally I would rather they not waste the time on giving us options that we won't be able to really choose anyway. I know its a two edged sword, and arguments can be made for specialized abilities for things like leveling and pvp, but I would prefer many fewer choices with more meaning than just lots of options.
    Chrilin likes this.
  10. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

Wow, since last time I checked Engineers and Stalkers have really shot up. Looks like it's all leveling out at this point.
  11. Caedis

Caedis New Cupcake

I always played tank classes and just love that role. I think I'm going to play the Engi. There aren't many games that have actual ranged tanks (that I've played) so I think it'll be a fun change of pace. My only concern that was brought up in the Engi Reddit AMA was how annoying it might be to have the boss running around to close the gap on a ranged tank. As long as Carbine makes it so Engi's can still tank in melee range then it'll be a lot of fun!

As a general tank concern, I also wonder how they are going to prevent taunt gaming. E.g. having the bruiser bot taunt then the engi, then another tank, etc. Diminishing returns, I assume?
  12. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

1. I think you should be fine on the boss running around front - you gotta remember the engineer has Heavy Armour so they can take a large beating.

2. I believe (don't quote me on this one though) you can control your pets taunt. What was brought up in the livestream is that from time to time you can give your healers a break by making your bots taunt.
  13. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

First of all, so far bots seem to be very squishy. They die very easily if they stand in telegraphs and usually the tank bot does not hold threat for long either (even when it lives). The tank bot taunt is on CD too, so the tank bot will really hold threat for about 6 seconds each two minutes and you would need to time it really well to make this work.
  14. Caedis

Caedis New Cupcake

This is good to know. In the livestream the devs emphasized that the Engi can tank with the bots; this seems to be especially important if the bots are always dead.

Beside the taunt to give you a 6-sec break, what is the benefit of the tank bot? Is it better for the Engi to tank things with his face and just roll with an assault and heal bot for support?
  15. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

1. I think he meant the problem is for the other people in the raid. If the boss isn't stationary, and since everything is telegraphed, dps will be missing hits and/or running around reducing their damage. And if the tank runs too much, the healers might be annoyed. On the other hand, the engi tank has like 50% speed reduction when they put on the suit, so I doubt they'd be kiting indefinitely.

2. Exactly the point, if the people in the group can just rotate taunts (player 1 taunt for 2 sec, player 2 taunt for 2 sec, bot taunt for 2 sec, and player 1 will have his CD back to taunt again) and if the boss swing timer is slower than 2 sec, then no one will ever get hit. Though I don't think this is that much of a problem, they can simply get rid of the whole notion of swing timer and have mobs/boss time their cast regardless of primary target (as in, prepare 3 sec fireball at A, gets taunt by B at the 2nd second, but still release the fireball at the end of the 3 sec regardless of who holds aggro now). And much of the damage will be area anyways.

On topic, I'll play an engi, so might as well make a tank out of it. My guess is that there will be lots of stalkers running around, so I'm going to shy away from that for now. The thing is, warrior tank is the standard armor mitigation tank, so in pick-up groups I suspect that it will be preferred. Just like the warrior in Tera as many have mentioned, evasive tanking such as stalker (and possibly engineers depends on how it tanks) will be more reliant on individual skills, so while I'm sure Carbine will balance them all on the greater scale of things, for pick-up groups people (and by people, most importantly I meant the healers) would prefer a warrior tank just to be on the safe side. But then again, PUGs will probably be happy to get any tanks, so they might not be choosy at all. In your own guild runs or familiar group runs however, I'm sure each will have a slightly different way to shine.
  16. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

Woow! Where have all those engineers come from?! They hold 40% of the poll now. I'm think the stalker live stream (This Saturday I think?) will bring in a lot more stalker tanks of done well.
  17. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Well, 1-2 may only be worth while, as the extra abilities are just built into the attacks... sometimes the little things can help to, so they are not completely meaningless.

Armor: A big one, but as the stalker is medium armor they are forced to rely on Other abilities for their tanking. ( the sometimes meaningless ones )

Dodge: With amps can be done more often so Mobility will be a big part of tanking, Since it is a skill based game and normally would not matter in a lot of other games as far as tanking is concerned. In this game it means a lot. Also if you can manage to dodge attacks for 6 seconds your shields will fill back up very fast.

Deflect: Basically taking place of the Auto Dodge of normal games it seems and making it just bounce attacks off of you making this ability another very big part of tanking.

Healing: As Stalker is medium armor and will get hit much harder then the Heavy armor classes, Having self heals will help the teams healer out very much and give them yet another ability to add to their tanking set. Cant dodge every attack all the time :(

Debuffs: The built into attacks I talked about, these are usually the minor Tanking abilities but since they are just built into the attacks you are going to use anyways its nothing you have to keep track of with armor and weapons.

I see your point though, most of the time you can get by with just Armor/dodge which is probably true for the warrior class. But I actually like the little extra things for the stalker, they could tweek it to make the extra things meaningless very easily but it adds that "Uniqueness" to the class that I like and a bit more of a challenge to tanking.

So as far as options you can go simple Heavy armor / Dodge combo or Medium armor with a mixture of other things. I like how we have the option to chose between different styles.

Cant wait to see how it all pans out, See ya on Nexus Bro :)
  18. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

While I personally love evasion or cool down heavy tanks, but I worry about the impact PvP will have on the class in terms of PvE. Granted with the combat system in place within wildstar it may not have an impact, nevertheless I cannot help but think back to how my shadow got the shaft in terms of tanking on certain fights due to the spiky nature of certain encounters, due to the fact they had to nerf our Survivability due to the fact class outperformed in PvP, which is true.

Only time will tell.
  19. Xanafel

Xanafel New Cupcake

I think there may be a few misconceptions that people think you can semi main tank a dungeon or raid with an engineers bots. I don't find that true at all. There are only a few instances when I will even have a bot enter combat at all.

Sure you can have the DPS bot out after every CD is down if you wish for a little extra damage in fights. I am sure it will never do enough damage to generate enough threat to pull aggro. Tank bot should only come out for two reasons. 1. To temporarily aggro adds that have pathed or spawned. 2. to relieve the healer a bit if you get spiked or if a crucial heal is missed.

I think the engineer will be the better all around tank. It has heavy armor, so yes it can stand toe to toe with the big baddie bosses. But while dodging telegraphs, can still pump out damage and threat from afar. Something the warrior and stalker cannot do.
  20. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I don’t think the W* Devs are going to allow the Engineer to be the “better all around tank” (I remember the Devs saying something about it being over powered at the moment.), but it’s not true that Warriors and Stalkers cannot do damage and threat from range.
    WStempA.png

You have to build for it, where it’s automatic for an Engineer, but it’s doable, and a smart Stalker/Warrior Tank is going to do it.

What do you mean by this?
    This statement
    makes it sound like you’re only going to have the Bots out to use their specials.

A Bot takes up a slot on your LAS bar; it is an automatic DOT with a Special ability and on a 15sec (upon death) timer. There is nothing saying that you have to use a Bot’s special whenever available, but to not have the Bot out and doing damage makes no sense (It’s not like they are on a 1min cooldown.). If you’re not going to use it regularly then why have it on your LAS bar?
    Unless your experience has told you that a Bot cannot withstand non-agro damage from a MOB, and its automatic DOT damage is not worth the trouble to leave it out.
    I have seen no evidence of this in any of the streams, but if this is true then this needs to be fixed.