1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What Tank Will You Play?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Raxis, Jan 5, 2014.

?

What tank are you playing?

1. Engineer

37.7%
  2. Warrior

31.2%
  3. Stalker

31.2%
  1. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Let's repeat this for the sake of repeating ''good'' things :D

Gotta love those level 15 streams.....now peeps are just waiting for the higher level stuff.
  2. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

Stalker. I always liked playing non-standard tanks.
    Yeah, that didn't help neither Druids nor Riftstalkers. Making medium armor tanks viable and/or preferred is kind of an ongoing problem for many MMO's. There's also raider bias. Some raiders just dislike medium tanks.
    There's just no way anyone can know that right now.
    CriSPeH and Livnthedream like this.
  3. Xanafel

Xanafel New Cupcake

That is a very solid point. I forgot about the 15 second cooldown. And with proper pet management you can avoid the whole 'OMG the bots just aggro'd the whole room' scenarios. So yeah the extra damage would be worth it.

And it is nice seeing those two ranged taunt abilities for the warrior and stalker.

Edit:
    I would think that the bots, at least the tank bot, should be able to withstand some trash non-aggro aoe damage for some time. As I have not seen any streams of the lvl 15 adventure or any boss battles with the engineer, whether or not it can withstand moderate to high telegragh damage, I have still not seen.
  4. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

Engineer all the way. Which Path I will take is yet undecided.
    I like to Tank. I like Tool Boxes. I like to run "pets". I like heavy armor. I like gathering resources in heavy armor in a warzone. I flippin' LOVE droids, robots, mech, drones.

Now I just need to be patient until I can finally spend some quality time with my Bots.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  5. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I'm pretty sure they said in the Engineer Livestream that the Tank Bot in a raid, would be used at most to gather an add group while the player tank is running over to pick them up, and may be used as a quick taunt reprieve to allow a healer to stabilize the tank.
    I believe they said even in a dungeon boss fight, the tank bot would not be able to "main tank" but could be used to off tank an add, and that the main purpose of it was in solo content.
    Xanafel likes this.
  6. Gôre

Gôre Cupcake

Here's to hoping the Stalker will be a true evasion tank, and it'll work...
  7. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Wait, what? Evasion is the problem with them. No group wants a jackpot for a tank.
  8. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Torn between Warrior and Engineer, but probably going Engineer. I like the flexibility of the Engineer's mid-range abilities to allow more positioning options and continual threat generation while avoiding telegraphs, especially for fights with adds and tank switching fights. At the same time leaps and pulls are fun and have been quite powerful and almost required for certain fights.
  9. luvusagi

luvusagi New Cupcake

Engineer for me!!!! Though I'm thinking about also making a Stalker but not sure about tanking as one yet! Engineer just seems really dynamic to me for a taking class.
  10. H00ktastic

H00ktastic New Cupcake

Stalker, going to try something very un-paladin of me and role a sneaky-sneaky stabby-stabby
  11. Jech

Jech New Cupcake

Warrior. A fan of the plate wearing melee wielding tank. Not to mention the greatsword is a bonus
  12. Raxis

Raxis New Cupcake

Now with the Stalker livestream out of the way and them showing off the stalker tanks does the change anybody's minds? Also #TeamFrost xD
  13. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

Well, it didn't change my mind as I was going to tank with stalker anyway, but it was reassuring...I knew they'd eventually bake some passive defense into the stalker's tank-stance to bring it closer to heavy-armor wearing tanks. That's just the simplest way to do it.

I've played a "rogue" tank in 3 different games now: druid/monk in WoW, riftstalker in Rift, Jedi shadow in SWTOR. In WoW and Rift I also had a more conventional tank (pally/warrior) for comparison. Honestly, the difference in effectiveness has nothing to do with what armor you're wearing; it has to do with how the devs decide to balance it with your other stats and resources. Armor is just one piece of the overall puzzle of mitigation and effective health.

Devs could make a perfectly viable esper tank if they wanted; they'd just have to give them some magical armor buffs and other actives to make up for the loss of passive mitigation of their equipped armor.

And since we're not at endgame yet, we don't know how any of the tank stats are going to match up yet, and even if we did, those numbers are going to change over the life of the game.

The ONLY worry I have about the stalker tank in PvE is, sadly, a worry about PvP. Rogue types are always the most complained about in any game with PvP, and PvP nerfs often have a big impact on PvE gameplay. Stalker tanks might have to deal with this more than the other two classes, because the only thing that people hate as much as stunlock classes are unkillable classes. The stalker is the only tank class who has stealth, high mitigation with high mobility, self-healing, AND the ability to completely reset combat if things go bad. Hopefully their (tank-specced) damage is going to be atrocious.

But, having played a feral druid through the long years, I've seen so many ups and downs that after awhile, you just tend to roll with the punches. I expect the Stalker class will be no different, lots of changes in both directions from release onward.
  14. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Aye, ever been the mage/lock/Bdruid tank in raids?
    I have and it was fun!

Most memorable moment = Illidari council mage tanking :D feels super to tank them...although Grull's lair was nice for the lock tanking....although a Bdruid could do it (atleast we did).

But this completely shows that you are right. It depends on so many more factors. The dev's can easily make an encounter were you could be needing another class to tank.....although I don't really see it happening in WS but that's just because of the engineer (they have a range tank so why need a dps to be a range tank like in WoW? And it's not like the SS/Esper/Medic have some buffs/tricks in them as the mage/lock had in WoW to make them really tanking types a part from the engineer.)

But ofcourse they could go for some event where you need a healing tank :confused: you never know.
  15. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

Yeah, my mains since vanilla were druid and warlock...I really wish they would've finally given locks a full tank spec, 'cause lock tanking is so much fun. :cool:

I always love specs that work against type. Gonna roll a melee Esper too. :D
  16. SinisterSaint

SinisterSaint New Cupcake

Most likely Warrior. I like heavy armor and the arm cannon...but I love guns and pets, too...so it may be Engineer.
  17. Dr Acula

Dr Acula New Cupcake

I want to play engineer so bad, but looking through the abilities it seems to really lack the CC to properly tank in PvP.
  18. zekkdarklighter

zekkdarklighter Cupcake

Engineer for me, baby! Powered armor and an actual tank cannon for a weapon, hard to beat as a description for a 'tank'.
  19. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

Stalker, because I like making people think they are going to die horribly. Especially when they are on my team.
  20. Badbromance

Badbromance New Cupcake

I'm a healer by trade (and will main a healer tossing up between spellslinger/medic) but I want to alt a stalker tank.

I also would like to do some organised pvp with both characters. Hopefully a tank/support stalker has a place in pvp otherwise I will just stick to healing in premade groups.