1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What types of cash shop items do you love/hate?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by VooDoo, Sep 16, 2011.

1. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

I personally love limited edition fluff gear. Aion has this, basically skins that you can apply to items of similar type that changes their appearance. Some skins they offer for maybe a month or so and you never see them again. On one hand it pisses me off if I happened to have been unsubbed and returning finding out I missed something really cool. On the other hand it makes these pieces even that more unique and customized. But if a game offers like a really cool piece of vanity gear for a limited time, I almost always buy it. Same with pets.

I also buy gear based strictly on looks. Theres quite a few pieces of gear in Age of Conan that some of my characters would really benefit from, but if it doesnt look good I just wont purchase it. On the flipside, theres some really cool gear that is either sub-par to my current gear or just fluff costume pieces that I will buy over something with awesome stats. In a nutshell, if Im buying something on the cash shop, its for appearance and uniqueness and never based on stats.

I hate any cash shop item that has a time limit. In Vindictus there are hair styles and clothing and you basically pay for the duration its going to last. If an item that is not a consumable such as an xp potion has a time limit on it and expires, I simply will not buy it no matter how cool it looks. I feel its a complete waste of money.

so, please if you respond keep with the topic. This isnt a discussion on pay to win or anything along those lines. Im just curious to hear from other folks who like cash shops and what they buy and dont buy.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I like microtransaction shops to sell only account items - character transfers, renames, etc. Failing that then the items have to be on par with what can be got from ingame sources.

I actually think that early on Star Trek Online had a good balance with their cash shop - ships that weren't vastly better than the ingame counterparts, and the odd vanity pet (which could be acquired via other routes, like helping out on the test server).
  3. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Some limited time offers on vanity wardrobe stuff for special occasions is always nice. I remember all the male guildies in my guild back on EverQuest showing up in pink dresses for an ingame wedding, that was seriously hilarious.

More toon slots past a basic number is ok to me too.
    Gender change, unless gender means something for the personal storyline.
    Renaming toons or even guilds.

Hard to say anymore without knowing what the game content is.

EQ2 has housing for instance, you can buy prestige houses for station cash, or normal houses for ingame currency or even win housing as a loot card from the LoN card game. It works nicely for me, does not change anything about interacting with the game content like improving your chances against a boss, but still a lot of people enjoy decorating their houses, and they are willing to spend cash on special looks housing.

Basically cash shop items should not include items that belittle the efforts of the players in the game.

If a "end game" raid drop is a housing license, then do not go about putting a deed up for something similar for cash too, unless the house significantly differ in looks and feel.

But it pretty much screws up the market if a cash store for instance start peddling items that is better than what crafters can do. My carpenter on EQ2 is mightily disgruntled now that there is fancier furniture to be bought on the cash shop rather than her own painfully made items. It belittles the work of becomming a fully made crafter.

Rift has free char transfers and it is smart of them. Rather keep a paying customer, who can transfer to his friends server, than have him unsub because he can not both transfer and keep the sub and his current server sucks for one reason or another

BTW to go off topic, I still regret never having the option to tame a killer bunny on my WoW hunter, for some reason all their best dps beasts was butt ugly and larger than hell, wassup with that?? I was not asking for something cute pink and adorable (gag), but isn't there a middle path, seriously?

Gimme sexy, gorgeous and lethal, thank you very much.
  4. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I think VooDoo and Zap both summed up pretty much what type of items I like seeing in cash shops - stat-less gear/costumes, vanity items, companion pets, mounts (with some special ones that are only for sale for a limited time) as well as things like transfers, renames, complete character re-customizations. Consumables like XP potions, or things like the "quick travel" options (as seen in LotRO) I also don't mind.

Like VooDoo, I don't care for items that you basically rent for a set amount of time. In a game, it's not worth it - if I pay for an item (or a set of items), I'll want access to it for as long as I play, otherwise I might as well just throw my money at the company. There's also the obvious pay to win scenario, which is a big fat NO! - I wouldn't even waste my time on a game with such an option.
  5. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

I think i need to add lottery boxes to this. i dont mind them as in game rewards, but im not going to purchase these. in fact, i feel theres something ethically wrong with it
    Autumnal likes this.
  6. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I never bought anything in a Item-Shop and I think that I resist the urge to buy something even a little bit longer, since the only game im playing, that has a real Item-Shop is EVE. But those clothes are just too expensive for me.

The only thing I accept in an Item-Shop a vanity Items, if a game offers a Pay 2 Win option Im out.