1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What was the 'it' game in your life?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Corblock, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Corblock

Corblock New Cupcake

was playing some swtor earlier tonight and got into a discussion about old school games from the Nintendo/Sega era, so posed a question there, and now I pose it again here

What was the most impactful/intensely gratifying video game you have played?
    feel free to list one or many if that is the case and don't shy away from how it made your list.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past- I was 9 years old when I first played this game, and for the better part of 6 months it tormented me with its castle bosses and random monster zone encounters and I must of spent a month just trying to figure out where that hidden town was before the 6th castle, but damn was it intensely satisfying to beat that game, and its the game that got me hooked on rpg's

Knights of the Old Republic 1- for me, it was a story telling masterpiece, dropping little hints here and there that at first I couldnt understand, until a little bit before the major revealing moment when I put everything together and spent the next 15-30 minutes of playing time yelling at my computer to confirm what I knew to be true, or as Luke Skywalker once said 'No that can not be.....THATS IMPOSSSSSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Nooooooooo!!!!'

and the third game(s) that really altered the way I looked at gaming

Doom/Doom 2- this was the first game where I started to play online, me and some of my friends started setting up our first dialup connections and having all night deathmatchs, was an incredible feeling running around trying to kill each other, and then it got even better when Id released the code for the game and everyone jumped into map making, this game also introduced me to my first ever LAN party
    Kusiga likes this.
  2. Ghillie

Ghillie New Cupcake

Destiny of an Emperor was the game that let me evolve from just button mashing my way through platformers and adventure games and start min/maxing. It really set me up to try and get the most out of every game I've played since.
  3. Lookeba

Lookeba Cupcake

The original Castlevania on NES. It was such a good feeling making it to Frankenstein and Igor with full health ready for the fight.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Everquest. I was a little kid back then. Vast, dangerous world to explore and I have many fond memories trying to go from place to place.
    Jabberwocky and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  5. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

OoT was really the prelude for me because we couldn't not afford a PlayStation at the time. although OoT had a huge impact on me and i played many hours with that game, it pales before the beast that is Final Fantasy 7

That game my friends, I put an unhealthy amount of time into, And basically shaped my life by forging friendships with people that i still know today.
  6. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

Impossible for me to name just one I would have to break it down into categories console and pc also different genres had a different impact.

For console it would be Super Metroid on the SNES by a mile and Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Tekken and Gran Tourismo on the PS1.
    For pc in the fps genre Half Life, Rocket Arena and Counter Strike
    rts - Sacrifice and Age of Mythology
    rpg - Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, Elder Scrolls III and Knights of the Old Republic
    mmorpg - Everquest, SWG and WoW

All these games had a huge impact on me but, by far I think the PS1 era forged my closest friendships and insured that we would be gamers for life. :)
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Hell yeah! OMG when I turned into a bunny and couldn't figure out that I had to drop into that stupid hole to get that mirror in the last ''normal world'' dungeon.....took me so long...yeh I know it's stupid :p
    Also loved that I found that guy under the bridge that gave you that extra bottle (for fairies/potions).

But Donkey Kong Country 3 for the Super nintendo was awesome aswell!

As stated by other peeps in here: FF VII it was OMG AWESOME! I still have the movie that came after it :up:

I personally have been grown up with a few games on the PC:

Warcraft! Played every warcraft game...I was fan from the very beginning.
    So WoW...wouldn't be surprising ;)
    Red Alert (we had all expansions, aka counterstrike, afthermath....), just that level to fight vs ants...loved it!
    Pharaoh...was just a great city building game with war elements in it.

But the first 2 (big) PC games i've played and liked a lot as a kid were:

Jazz jackrabbit:
    [​IMG]

Tyrian: (old one)
    [​IMG]

Played this one when we still had a mouse like this one :D

[​IMG]
    Eternalfootman likes this.
  8. Prof. Walrus

Prof. Walrus Cupcake

Although it's far from my first game (NES age, yay), Shadow of the Colossus is still by far my #1 game ever. The feel, the fights, the achievement of killing one of those horrible monsters.. And then of course the time challenges (Got every item, yay^2), and the hype for a 17th colossus which made me replay the game over and over again until I had enough stamina to climb the temple.. To find no colossus :'(

2005.. Almost 9 years ago T.T --> Eyes set to The Last Guardian, whenever that'll be released
  9. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

Almost every game I have enjoyed has been the "It" game for me. I can only play one game at once. The first game I recall really enjoying and playing non stop was one of the Ultima games back int he 80's. I loved Might and Magic IV and played that non stop. Baldur's Gate was a true love. I just adored Baldur's Gate. I loved Fallout 1 and 2. I loved Everquest at release. I found it truly amazing. Daoc was certainly an "it" game for me but maybe not as much as EQ. Horizons crafting was a wonderful addicting experience. Shadowbane was a very short fun game for me although I am not sure it was an "it" game in reality bit more in theory.. Vanguard was one of the best games I have ever played and certainly an "it" game. I loved Rift as well. I hope and expect Wildstar to be the same.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  10. Saigon

Saigon New Cupcake

Resident Evil / Dino Crisis
    If my uncle DJ never introduced me to Resident Evil and Dino Crisis growing up, I may have never become such a huge fanboy. Today Resident Evil is by far my favorite video game franchise.

Total Annihilation
    I spent ages playing this with my uncle Jonathan. TA (among other games) is really what got me into gaming to begin with.
  11. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

There are plenty of games in which I've wasted too many hours of lifetime.

Warcraft 3: The frozen Throne
    First of all: An amazing story, great RTS gameplay and...Oh god. The OST. So...Good.
    I've never been an RTS player, but this game is just so good.

And then: The map making.
    This map creating tool alone gave players so much power. Give players power over your game and people will play it forever. Just look at all the things there are!

And this game pretty much took AoS and created an own genre - MOBA's. Yeah. And beside that - all the crazy and awesome maps people make! And creating them yourself! Oh man. So many good times! I just love Warcraft 3 so much for all these things. I've spent countless hours playing and scripting things in this game and I'm so happy with every one of these hours. All these days spent just on getting our network fixed so we can play another round of Wintermaul Wars.

Man...This game is just so awesome. And it has something for everyone. People have used it for so much - I've even seen FPS games in this, with headshot detection and everything.

And guess what? To this day, I play WC3. I still play a good ol' round of Trolls and elves, I still play Power towers or Custom Hero line wars every now and then. Just such a great game with such amazing variety. Thanks for this game Blizzard. It is amazing.

World of Warcraft
    Omg, I played alot of WoW, I'm so special.
    Yeah. WoW was a great game. I don't play it anymore, powerraiding exhausted me, but all in all - a great experience in MMO's. Not gonna say much more just because people know why it was awesome. My first real MMO beside...

Ragnarok Online
    Hahaha, oh man I can't believe how much I played this when I look at how bad it actually is. No guidelines to anything, no help, nothing. The whole game was based aroung grinding, too and getting jobclasses had some ridiculously hard or hard to find tasks with it.

So...Who could help you?
    One answer: The community. This game had and still has an amazing community. You can usually find someone who'll help you in a few seconds, giving you advice, maybe a little bit of money to start off and pointing you into the right direction.
    I played on many different Private servers, the official servers and put in less hours than in WoW, yes...But still, I played this game ALOT. And it was fun. And I don't even know why.
    The mystery in this game was strong. Many different bosses with crazy Items, HUGE charactercustomization (~100+ very different builds for all classes combined) and the game had regular huge patches.
    And still has, mind you.

These are the games I spent most of my times in.

Honorable mentions would be League of Legends (But it's so bad...I still play it, but it really is. Still buggy as hell, still doesn't work on certain PC's, still has connection problems, still has tons of flaws...But it does have a certain charm.) and not minding spent time but much rather fun...

Secret of Mana
    Yoshis Island (2 of my very first gaming experiences, YI being my first ever. And I love both these games to death.)
    Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (Yeah. I know. Odd, huh? Great game tho.)

And many others. But srsly, guys. WC3 is the <REDACTED> for me.
  12. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

Doom, Little Big Adventure, Prince of Persia, Lemmings, Grim Fantango, has to be one of those, can't pick.
    Kusiga likes this.
  13. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

Chrono Trigger.

Great characters, no random battles, combining attacks, and wonderful music. Then just when you finally beat the game you have new game plus that allows you to play through it again with the same stats and try to see more of the nearly dozen endings available.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  14. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Home alone and Prince of Persia back at 90's.
    Those memories...................

It is strange but games back then were actually good cause companies were trying their best and they didnt care only for money.Now most of games are <REDACTED> and you have to find a good one on thousands coming daily
  15. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Oh my, there's way too many awesome games that have shaped me into the diehard video game nerd I am today that I can only name a few.

Mega Man X
    One of the first games I remember actually playing from start to finish, and definitely my favorite game in the whole series. My (half) brothers side of the family ran a chain of toy stores, so he would borrow games from there and take home to play. I loved Mega Man X so much that I deliberately scribbled all over the cover so that they couldn't re-sell it and he was stuck with it. Really played the <REDACTED> out of that game, and still do from time to time.

Ocarina of Time
    I don't think I would have turned into the gamer I am today if it weren't for Ocarina of Time, there's not a single thing I don't love about it (nvm, I just remembered the water temple). I used to bug my brother all the time to let me play it on his N64 and he used his "power" to get me to do all his chores for him, but it was absolutely worth it. I actually never even finished the game, but I still hold it as my favorite game of all time.

Heroes of Might and Magic III
    Without a doubt the pinnacle of the series, and me and my friend used to play it every free hour we had in his cramped little room and lose track of all time completely. We just held to our territory for months upon months (in the game) until we had massive armies that would just roll through the computer controlled enemies, and then we'd have one big final clash between ourselves, it was epic. I still play it.

Diablo II
    This might be the game that I have clocked most hours in out of every game I've ever played, played it on and off for over 10 years until the release of D3. Such a great game from start to finish, the gameplay, the atmosphere, the replayability, everything about it. It's hard to go back to it though, even though it's better than D3 in sooo many ways, the amazing combat in D3 (one of its few redeeming features) just makes the combat in D2 feel very outdated. Still one of the best games ever made though.

Metroid Prime
    Definitely the best game released on Gamecube, and for me the best game of that generation. The atmosphere in that game is probably the best I've ever experienced in any game, you truly feel alone, isolated and vulnerable on a hostile planet. The complete lack of any voice work, and the incredible soundtrack just sets this game off, not to mention that the gameplay is amazing too.

I think I'll cut it short there, because my mind is just coming up with more and more amazing games that I could probably write about for the next couple of hours, there's just too many! Havn't really had any amazing game experience like those above since Warhammer Online, that's why I'm looking forward to Wildstar so much, I haven't been this excited for a game in years!
  16. Pilotn

Pilotn New Cupcake

Global Agenda.

I bought the limited edition box and was in the beta, enjoyed every second of playing that game. Put more hours to get really good at Assault/Recon than I'd like to admit.
  17. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

Hands down, EverQuest for me. It was the most amazing game to me for many years and I have some of the fondest memories of gaming because of that game.

Hopefully, WildStar will be successful and takes it's spot at #1 or at least be a close #2.

[​IMG]
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  18. Pocketz

Pocketz Cupcake-About-Town

Oh gosh this thread has made me smile quite a lot.
    I don't think I have a whole list of games but the most memorable gaming experience are related to a few titles.

Zelda - Ocarina of time / Majoras Mask.
    [​IMG]

These games showed me what games are really about, I had to complete them with the help of my little brother. I liked the puzzles and solved them, but I couldn't handle the "scary" bosses, which was when I handed over the controller in panic to my brother, who swiftly and eagerly finished off the beast. There are few games who can rival the satisfaction you felt when you solved a really hard puzzle. The characters are memorable and the music is amazing. I still find myself youtubing up The "Gerudo Valley" - theme. Back in the day, I would ride over there and just chill, to listen to the music.

My most memorable boss is the Witch Sisters of the Sand temple.
    This is one of the few boss fights that I took on, on my own, haha. I love and feared these gals and their "final form" was spectacular. Their theme song is also amazing.
    [​IMG]

After this, I meddled with different FPS's, such as Quake, Counter Strike, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament, etc. However, at every new release I came back to Zelda.

I will have to mention this following game as its the only reason I nagged my parents for a PC.
    The Sims, 1.
    A virtual Dollhouse where you can do, basically, anything?! sign me up.
    This game series is also the only game that has forced me to upgrade my computer through out the years. My most recent upgrade was my Graphics card, and that was due to the fact that The Sims 3 is horribly coded and couldn't run properly even on a high end comp, yet I tried my luck and got new hardware.

When I did get my computer and the Internet, I discovered a game that change my expectations for an MMO forever, It's also what I compare most MMO's to when it comes to Community.

Ragnarok Online:
    [​IMG]
    This game, oh man have I spent hours upon hours in this game, I started playing RO when I 14-15ish and it was mindbogglingly addictive. I don't even know how, perhaps its because I was a teenager and things like "popularity" was important to me. So having the best and, of course, cutest gear was serious business. Ragnarok Online, had cute 2D graphics and alright grindy gameplay. But thats not why its a successful game, its not why players like me somehow come back to this game even in 2013. It's because of its community.
    [​IMG]
    (sorry for the offensive language, but i was a retarded 15-17 year old)

I remembered when I logged in, at the local hang out "S.pront (South Prontera)" other players would flock around me, and send me PMs. I could sit in that place for hours, just chatting away.
    Only to break out of it when someone wanted to level or needed help.
    Leveling took forever, It took me 7-8 months for my first character to hit max (99). 0.1% exp/h was crazy, thinking back to it. But back then, you socialized, you leveled in big parties and had fun.

[​IMG]
    The Guild VS Guild PvP thing (War of Emperium)

[​IMG]
    Group leveling. :D Fun times.

I have played, WoW, Rift, Tera and Lineage etc, but to me they never had "it" like RO did.
    WoW had way better gameplay, of course, but I always found myself quitting WoW after I've cleared each EP because I never found the community.

I'm hoping this will change with Wildstar and I have a feeling it will, because the community I've found here is already making me feel all happy and fuzzy inside.
    Anyways, this post is derailing, thank you for letting me have a walk down memory lane.
  19. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

World of Warcraft!!!
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  20. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

The game that got me in to PC gaming really was Ultima Online when I was 13.