1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What was the 'it' game in your life?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Corblock, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Kaito

Kaito New Cupcake

heh I would have to say Pong....... but other then I grew up playing FF3 for the snes or I guess I should say FFVI.
  2. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country formed my love of platformers.

Street Fighter introduced me to the world of fighting games, and while I'm not very good at any of them I very much enjoy being part of the FGC and getting people into the games.

Diablo will always have a soft spot for me since my whole family played it together.
  3. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

The (original) Legend of Zelda, gold cartridge and all. Queue that music.

Playing this game spawned a lifelong lust for video games. When you are born you should be presented with a copy. Upon death it should be passed on to your next-of-kin.

The Archives, Remote Mines*, the 2nd Moonraker Elite*, turn auto-aim off. If that combination of words spawns warmth down in your plums than you too have known the joy of Goldeneye 007 multiplayer.

Forget its lackluster sequel. Diablo II was the pinnacle of the series. I had briefly played the first Diablo, but was not overly impressed with it. Years after its release I bought the Diablo II Battlechest on a lark. Time proceeded to disappear like water through a sieve. The need to feed that loot addiction. Not since the Legend of Zelda had I combed through information about a game. I still have fond memories of my Kick/Trap Assassin and Smiter Pally.

*people that prefered Proximity Mines showed signs of mental instability
    *because Oddjob was too obvious
    Eliat_kuni and Malorak like this.
  4. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Don't laugh - PacMan - I used to get sick a lot as a kid, and boy did I spend hours playing PacMan. Dare to say I've put more time in it then into my main WoW toon ;)

Then well, HOMM 2 and finally 3. Long winter evenings, hot seat family affair, crowding around one fat, tiny monitor. Making maps to challenge each other, apointing house chores to the loosers.

Heh, can't name one game nowadays that I still enjoy going back to as much as Heroes if Might and Magic 3.
  5. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

Pang! How could I forget that... PacMan reminded me :)

First played that on Arcade, later on DOS (PC).
    Very addicting.
  6. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I think Final Fantasy 6(3) was the most influental game for me. There had been alot of interesting games before it I loved to play, but that game got me sucked in to RPG games and it was the first game to make me "Hooked" in to playing.
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  7. SisterSin

SisterSin Cupcake

Honestly the game that I loved was Planescape Torment
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  8. Eternalfootman

Eternalfootman Cupcake-About-Town

O wow, this is a tough one. Well City of Villains was my first MMO, so that was pretty big for me. Phaoroh, Starcraft I, warcraft III, those are also some of the games that really got me into gaming and being part of the gaming community(at least the latter two XD). Finally, an honorable mention to 999 for DS, cuz that game is just awesome.
  9. AreoBB

AreoBB New Cupcake

I have two: the game that solidified my interest in video games was Super Mario RPG. I remember discussing that game with friends and I believe it was the first game I ever beat. The reason that is so significant is that I hardly ever beat games, so it was crowning moment for me as a young gamer.

In terms of the game that really got me into MMO's, it was Everquest. I was in absolute awe of what it meant to be able to play online. I remember being so excited by all the possibilities; the implication that this was a second world where you created a new reputation, could be a villain or a hero, etc. It was amazing, and still warms my heart to think of it.

Honorable mention: Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. That game's story really pulled me in, though I haven't played it in years.
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  10. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

So many game -

FF - played it for 2 days and only reach when you receive your first boat - I was French and only 8 so playing a game where you don't know anything is hard. It help me learn English

Leisure Suit Larry - Played with our uncle when we were the same age - We thought it was funny. Still remember laughing our ass off when you don't put the condom and go back to the street. Thanks Uncle helping us learn important stuff- Always wrap because you can die of some green disease :)

Final Lap Twin - rpg/racing game - When you think about it they were before their time - Putting RPG element into other genre - I love that game, but it was really short.

First MMORPG - Earth and Beyond - Yep - one of the MMORPG never mention in any beta survey :)
    Kytty likes this.
  11. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Everquest, Despite my first system being an Atari 2600 the it game is EQ. No other game held my interest like that. And no MMO or game since has really wowed me like the first time I exited the starting city into the world.

The only other game that has given me that feeling of being small so far is EVE-Online.
  12. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

Chrono trigger.
    Secret of Mana.
    Earthbound.
    Zelda - Ocarina of time/A link to the past.
    Final Fantasy II & III (America SNES)

:inlove:
  13. Pestilinz

Pestilinz Cupcake

What this guy said ^
  14. Alistair Cain

Alistair Cain Cupcake

Raptor - Call of the Shadows . A friend gave me a demo disc with this on it and I played it until my keyboard wore out :p

Dune 2 - The early days of RTS and still a brilliant design.

Sonic the Hedgehog - A sentimental favourite, good old platforming at high speed - nothing beats a blue hedgehog :p
  15. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

Oh man ... This is a hard one. SO many games, specially from early on. I was a big Adventure gamer so the like of the Kings Quest Series, Space Quest, Myst, Leisure Suit Larry (LOL Got arrested for indecent exposure in #1 hehe). I played mostly single player games untill 2004 when WoW game out. Some of my favourites are going to make me lose street cred Im sure of it :)

Many many text adventure games which involved map making and using the imagination to picture what was being described.

Kings Quest V - Back when you couldnt google walkthroughs and had to draw your own maps of where each direction took you. Dad and I were about 3/4 of the way through when our save game disk fried. OMG I nearly cried coz we had to start all over again. It had a great story and great personality, tho occasionally I wished I could kill my little owl companion as he could be an obnoxious little upstart at times hehe.

Civilisation 2 with all the expansions. This is pretty self explanatory really .. isnt it ??

Supaplex - The whole family was in on this one. Trying to figure out how to defeats the levels. We all had our own games going but every now and again you had yto swallow your pride and go ask mum for help. That wench killed us all at it.

The Sims series (1 - 3) (all expacs)

World of Warcraft from vanilla release - I had dabbled in Runescape a little but WoW was where I really found the joy of the MMO and community. The joy and wonder of exploring that world and the fantastic art work really helped me lose myself for a few hours. Met so many people through that game that I am still friends with today and have even met and hung out with a few of them.

LotRO - Anything that bring Tolkein to life is okay in my book ... as long as its done right.

Battlefield 2 - This was my first foray into Multiplayer FPS games. Discovered I was good at sneaking around lines of defences. Strike at Karkand and Wake Island map were big favourites of my clan, some good times were had TKing the clan leader whenever he drunken AFK'd.
  16. Cheven

Cheven Cupcake

Let me see, some of them:

[​IMG] [​IMG],

[​IMG]

Anyone remember? Good childhood memories.
    Geofiend likes this.
  17. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Commander Keen and Beneath a Steel Sky/Day of the Tentacle got me into computer gaming.
    Baldurs Gate 2 sold me on computer rpgs ( and planescape torment ).
    Morrowind sold me on open world gameplay.
    Anarchy online was my first mmo and that led to lineage 2, city of heroes and wow.
    Thordran likes this.
  18. Geofiend

Geofiend New Cupcake

The Monkey Island series is really what got me into gaming, though I'd certainly played others before The Secret of Monkey Island. There was something about the puzzles and humour that just drew me in; I even remember having dreams about it.

Other adventure games like Day of the Tentacle cemented the love of the point-n-click games (and there's some great ones still being made in the Adventure Game Studio - check it out if you get the chance).

Standouts from other genres were those that have already been mentioned - Morrowind (open world rpg), Warcraft (for the strategy - must remove all trees from the map!), Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption (for that pissed-off Christoff action - god I love that game). There have been plenty of other games that have that special impact or just some moment of brilliance like Bioshock (would like to put the spoiler in, but it's too good in case you've not played it).
  19. Valin

Valin Cupcake

I did love WoW (vanilla-TBC), because it was my first MMO I will always have plenty of good memories from it.

Another game that have a special place in me is Giana Sisters, mainly because I played it ALOT as a child. And the music is f**king fabulous!

Dragon Age - Got me hooked. Amazing story and really made me feel as a part of it.

Half life 2 - Love everything about it. Unfortunatly I havn't be able to finish it because I got very ( I mean veryvery) sea-sick from the water scooter *laugh*

And for multiplayer - MarioKart, Bomberman & Left 4 Dead, all madly fun to play with friends!
  20. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

Been gaming for about 30 odd years now and there are so many games over the years that kept me going with the hobby but here are a few that stand out quite a bit just from sheer time invested.

Original Legend of Zelda was and is probably one of my favorite games of all time. I logged a ton of time on this one as a little kid.

Computer gaming wise though, command and conquer and doom/heretic/quake were the ones that really got me into the whole gaming on the PC thing.

I played a ton around the turn of the century, logging a lot of time in Baldur's Gate one and two, as well as Diablo 2 and Starcraft/Warcraft. I was a pretty hardcore Blizzard player for quite some time.

I spent about 5 years or so playing World of Warcraft from 2004-2008ish and that got me into the MMO genre. Since Wrath, Blizz has consistently been breaking my heart with their questionable game decisions though, but hey, it was a great run during the golden age.

Lately, I've grown a bit apart from PC gaming and have moved back to my other gaming love of Warhammer 40K, but I would like to have a decent game that holds my attention community and challenge wise and hope that Wildstar can help out in that regard. I like what I see so far, so we'll see.
    Roadblock likes this.